• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview Project Mew

Let's end that argument right now, because I don't want any conflict to start, okay? I don't like arguing and fighting uselessly.
I just misunderstand this...

Several hours later...

I just came to realize that I made a HUGE mistake. I misunderstood everything, and I apologize to everyone for this. If anybody doesn't mind, could you give me simple, yet detailed clarifications about all this?

Am I the only one who finds a bit strange how Project Mew is this super high secret thing that most of the public has no info on and only really select trainers can even attempt to enter it through classified, dangerous missions, and Ash is just allowed in anyways?

I mean, ofc he's gonna tag along, but it's kinda of strange how, even tho he's only there to well, be there and cheer on Goh none of the higher ups of this Project really questioned it? Like, he's not attempting any trial, therefore he won't have a Token, but he's still there because... he's Goh's plus one I guess lol?

Idk if I explained it well, but it does makes me wonder how the rules and logistic of this thing really are planned...

Am I the only one who finds a bit strange how Project Mew is this super high secret thing that most of the public has no info on and only really select trainers can even attempt to enter it through classified, dangerous missions, and Ash is just allowed in anyways?

I mean, ofc he's gonna tag along, but it's kinda of strange how, even tho he's only there to well, be there and cheer on Goh none of the higher ups of this Project really questioned it? Like, he's not attempting any trial, therefore he won't have a Token, but he's still there because... he's Goh's plus one I guess lol?

Idk if I explained it well, but it does makes me wonder how the rules and logistic of this thing really are planned...
You're not alone. I'm also confused.

Maybe Satoshi has offered to be the cheering squad for all Project Mew Members.....

But if the Lucario movie is canon, then he's already seen and interacted with Mew.

It is absolutely fair to question, that being said, they seemingly know Oak/Gary to a decent point, and those two know Ash rather well, but also, as a random addon, he apparently will help them assess Gou in teamwork aspects (which could be done with other competitors/Asahi or Tsurugi mind you, but this is also a fine way to do that.

Joke aside, that was my last comment.

I do think that Gou needs to get out of his comfort zone.
That's hard if Satoshi keeps butting in to support him.

Let Gou work with other Project Mew Members, while Satoshi slacks off at the Lab.

Asahi said it was alright for Ash to assist Gou on these trial missions since one of the things that will be tested during these missions is teamwork with other trainers. In fact, we've already seen this happen in the Moltres episode where Gary allowed Ash and Gou to help with his trial mission (even if Gary still did most of the work anyway).

Asahi said it was alright for Ash to assist Gou on these trial missions since one of the things that will be tested during these missions is teamwork with other trainers. In fact, we've already seen this happen in the Moltres episode where Gary allowed Ash and Gou to help with his trial mission (even if Gary still did most of the work anyway).
Oh okay. But still: it's pretty strange how they just... let some random kids who aren't even part of it to tag along and participate in those missions.

At least Goh's part got solved because he did his trial mission and apparently he passed? I did not watched the ep yet, was waiting for the subs, so he's pretty much in fact part of Project Mew. But Ash on the other hand, is not gonna do any trials or anything, so I just find a bit weird how they just let him tag along, considering he's pretty much been reduced to Goh's cheerleader in this arc.

Oh okay. But still: it's pretty strange how they just... let some random kids who aren't even part of it to tag along and participate in those missions.

At least Goh's part got solved because he did his trial mission and apparently he passed? I did not watched the ep yet, was waiting for the subs, so he's pretty much in fact part of Project Mew. But Ash on the other hand, is not gonna do any trials or anything, so I just find a bit weird how they just let him tag along, considering he's pretty much been reduced to Goh's cheerleader in this arc.
It actually wasn't a Trial Mission. It was a mission to qualify him to start taking Trial Missions.

But Ash on the other hand, is not gonna do any trials or anything, so I just find a bit weird how they just let him tag along, considering he's pretty much been reduced to Goh's cheerleader in this arc.
It's possible that they're only letting him tag along for these trial missions to test how well Gou can cooperate with other trainers, and the actual expedition on Table Mountain will only consist of the chosen Project Mew members + the leader.

Speaking of which, it's been revealed in episode 71 that Project Mew will consist of a total of 5 members (also known as "Chasers"), excluding the leader himself. Asahi and Tsurugi have already been chosen, and Gou and Gary are practically guaranteed to be on the team, so unless if Ash decides to suddenly join Project Mew too, that leaves one more slot for a new member.

I'm guessing it's gonna be Peony, since they're gonna need someone to promote the Crown Tundra DLC, with Tsurugi's Urshifu already being here to promote the Isle of Armor DLC. We know Peony has an interest in Legendary Pokemon, and we've seen him participating (well, "participating") in our little expedition in the Crown Tundra, so he seems perfect for Project Mew. Of course, it's possible that it might be an entirely new character like Asahi and Tsurugi, or it might be a returning character like Gary.

It's possible that they're only letting him tag along for these trial missions to test how well Gou can cooperate with other trainers, and the actual expedition on Table Mountain will only consist of the chosen Project Mew members + the leader.

Speaking of which, it's been revealed in episode 71 that Project Mew will consist of a total of 5 members (also known as "Chasers"), excluding the leader himself. Asahi and Tsurugi have already been chosen, and Gou and Gary are practically guaranteed to be on the team, so unless if Ash decides to suddenly join Project Mew too, that leaves one more slot for a new member.

I'm guessing it's gonna be Peony, since they're gonna need someone to promote the Crown Tundra DLC, with Tsurugi's Urshifu already being here to promote the Isle of Armor DLC. We know Peony has an interest in Legendary Pokemon, and we've seen him participating (well, "participating") in our little expedition in the Crown Tundra, so he seems perfect for Project Mew. Of course, it's possible that it might be an entirely new character like Asahi and Tsurugi, or it might be a returning character like Gary.

Peony makes the most sense, especially since i want Ash to stay away from Gohs goal (Just like Goh should stay away from Ash's).

It is absolutely fair to question, that being said, they seemingly know Oak/Gary to a decent point, and those two know Ash rather well, but also, as a random addon, he apparently will help them assess Gou in teamwork aspects (which could be done with other competitors/Asahi or Tsurugi mind you, but this is also a fine way to do that.
It's possible that they're only letting him tag along for these trial missions to test how well Gou can cooperate with other trainers
I've seen the argument that Ash is there for Go to test his teamwork skills but that argument makes no sense to me. That’s basically the equivalent of bringing in your best friend (who's in an entirely different profession) to your office to show your boss that you have good teamwork skills.
It simply shows that Go works well with the person who he’s with 24/7...? The entire point of teamwork is to test your skills of co-operation with new people or people you might not be friends with, so it’s weird that Go gets a plus when who he works well with.

This could've potentially become an arc as we know Go can often be socially awkward, but in usual JN fashion it’s skipped and Ash is turned into a glorified cheerleader.

I get they want to include Ash, they could show him qualifying as well into Project Mew, and before someone says it’s Go's goal and should remain exclusive to him, it’s not entirely out of question as Ash’s and Go's goals have had some overlap (see: Go becoming good at battling), or just have Ash do something of his own. The writers have shown they are capable of doing this since they regularly give subplots to Go in Ash episodes.
Or does this only apply when it works in Go's favour? JN's focus issues are highlighting again.

I've seen the argument that Ash is there for Go to test his teamwork skills but that argument makes no sense to me. That’s basically the equivalent of bringing in your best friend (who's in an entirely different profession) to your office to show your boss that you have good teamwork skills.
It simply shows that Go works well with the person who he’s with 24/7...? The entire point of teamwork is to test your skills of co-operation with new people or people you might not be friends with, so it’s weird that Go gets a plus when who he works well with.

This could've potentially become an arc as we know Go can often be socially awkward, but in usual JN fashion it’s skipped and Ash is turned into a glorified cheerleader.

I get they want to include Ash, they could show him qualifying as well into Project Mew, and before someone says it’s Go's goal and should remain exclusive to him, it’s not entirely out of question as Ash’s and Go's goals have had some overlap (see: Go becoming good at battling), or just have Ash do something of his own. The writers have shown they are capable of doing this since they regularly give subplots to Go in Ash episodes.
Or does this only apply when it works in Go's favour? JN's focus issues are highlighting again.

Wait! What did i miss? Goh got at battling?

While I wouldn't say that Ash is in an entirely different profession than Gou, I do get what you're saying. It would definitely make more sense to have Gou work with trainers that he hasn't met before if they really want to test his teamwork skills. With that said, it doesn't seem like the Project Mew team are too fussy about who the candidates are working with since they didn't mind that Gary was working with Ash and Gou during the Moltres episode.

These trial missions aren't just being used to test Project Mew candidates, they're also genuinely research/search-and-rescue operations on their own, so in that sense, it's understandable that the Project Mew team would welcome any help that they can get. Plus, it seems like the only truly confidential information related to Project Mew is information about Mew itself, so having seemingly-random trainers assist the Project Mew candidates in trial missions isn't that big of a deal, I think.

While I wouldn't say that Ash is in an entirely different profession than Gou, I do get what you're saying. It would definitely make more sense to have Gou work with trainers that he hasn't met before if they really want to test his teamwork skills. With that said, it doesn't seem like the Project Mew team are too fussy about who the candidates are working with since they didn't mind that Gary was working with Ash and Gou during the Moltres episode.

These trial missions aren't just being used to test Project Mew candidates, they're also genuinely research/search-and-rescue operations on their own, so in that sense, it's understandable that the Project Mew team would welcome any help that they can get. Plus, it seems like the only truly confidential information related to Project Mew is information about Mew itself, so having seemingly-random trainers assist the Project Mew candidates in trial missions isn't that big of a deal, I think.
Well, that changes the entire argument. The goalposts got shifted to "We're testing teamwork skills" to "They are welcoming all the help they can get". Then why exactly are they bothering to hold two trials for their members? It’s not as if when they find the exact whereabouts of Mew they’ll be like "Hey, Ash even though you’ve been with us for the entire project, this one is confidential and you won’t come with us." They should probably give Ash a trial as well. It would solve half the issues with this, or have Ash and Go do a joint trial that’s comparatively more difficult but needs teamwork for me to accept these justifications.

They will end up saying....

'Satoshi, you may not go any farther'

Then he'll be cheering from the Institute.

Well, that changes the entire argument. The goalposts got shifted to "We're testing teamwork skills" to "They are welcoming all the help they can get". Then why exactly are they bothering to hold two trials for their members?
You're saying that as if those two things are mutually exclusive, when they're really not. Project Mew is a research team first and foremost, so if a trainer genuinely wants to help with their minor research operations (and occasionally search-and rescue operations too, it seems), they don't really have any reason to reject them. With that said, Mew is still their number one goal, and their expedition to Table Mountain will probably be quite dangerous, so they want to make sure that all of the expedition's members are up to the task. Hence, they're using these smaller research operations to scout for potential candidates for the expedition and test their capabilities in the field, with teamwork being one of the aspects that's being tested. And hey, if they've got friends that want to help, that's just free labor. Can't say no to that.

Again, I understand that Gou bringing along his best friend on a trial mission isn't a perfect way to test for teamwork, but at the same time, I don't really see a reason for the Project Mew team to reject Ash's offer to help with these "side-quests".
It’s not as if when they find the exact whereabouts of Mew they’ll be like "Hey, Ash even though you’ve been with us for the entire project, this one is confidential and you won’t come with us."
On one hand, that seems to be what they're implying. It's specifically mentioned that Project Mew will be consisting of 5 members only, so if they're still gonna let Ash participate in the actual expedition once all 5 members have been chosen, then that 5 member limit would seem... kinda pointless. Again, this is ignoring the possibility of Ash joining the fifth slot that's currently open right now, but I think it's much more likely that we'll see another character attempt to join Project Mew.

On the other hand, it's Ash. I highly doubt the writers will leave him out of a very important event like this, so I fully expect them to somehow shove him into the expedition, regardless of how much sense it would make.

The staff needs to dissociate Satoshi from this, it'd far better if he's rebutted eventually.

Prioritise how much sense that writing choice would make over the Protagonist Impunity.

The staff needs to dissociate Satoshi from this, it'd far better if he's rebutted eventually.

Prioritise how much sense that writing choice would make over the Protagonist Impunity.

Problem is if you do it with Ash during the Project Mew arc, you have to do the same for Goh during the PWC. Considering thats an ongoing Goal since the start of Journeys, you need to eliminate Goh completely in that case.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom