• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview Project Mew

I'm hoping Infernape shows some kind of reaction to Gary's Electivire, but that might depend on whether Tomioka is writing.

So I haven't posted a ton here since I wanted time to consider things.

So, first off I'm not going to get too excited about the reserve appearance. It's nice to see them but I don't want to assume we'll be getting anything more than a brief appearance other than Infernape having an episode (likely for BD/SP promotion).

Secondly, Project Mew. It looks interesting enough, but I really doubt this is the conclusion of Gou's Mew story so it remains to be seen where it will go. I am curious about the "you'd all be dead without me" person.

Thirdly, we see a bit more of the Iris battle. Not a ton to add, really. Dragonite is still precious, nice to see Dracovish battling, etc.

Fourthly, Gary does not seem to be battling Ash as many of us thought, which does surprise me a bit. I guess he might appear again later but too early to say.

Finally, doesn't look like anything big for the TRio coming up just yet.:(

I'm not sure if this is something we already know or not, but Prof. Sakuragi's commentary in this preview shows that one of his goals as a Pokemon Professor is to uncover the mysteries regarding the origin of Pokemon. There are two Pokemon that immediately come to mind when talking about this, with the first one obviously being Mew, the ancestor of all Pokemon. Gou's already on his journey to catch it, and it seems to be the main focus of this Project Mew thing.

The other Pokemon that's closely related to the origin of Pokemon is of course Arceus, the god of creation. Arceus is quite relevant nowadays with the recent announcements of the Gen 4 remakes as well as Pokemon Legends: Arceus, so while I'm hoping that Legends: Arceus would be getting its own anime project similar to stuff like Origins and Twilight Wings, this preview might be foreshadowing a future Arceus-related arc in Journeys to promote the new Legends: Arceus game.

Before I go crazy from hype mode, are we sure is it Ash's Infernape? Since this does a bad job of implying that. It read to me as more of a random Infernape. I just want confirmation before I can go sane from celebration XD. EDIT: Turns out my reading comprehension is bad. ASH'S INFERNAPE IN THE HOUSE!

make more sense to give Goh one of the Sinnoh starters, especially when they would be unevolved,
There is already enough on Gou's plate- the Sakuragi Pokémon as well as three Galar starters who need their own promotion and development. I wouldn’t put the burden of another starter there when the ones he has have already suffering to some extent sans Grookey from lack of development.

There is already enough on Gou's plate- the Sakuragi Pokémon as well as three Galar starters who need their own promotion and development. I wouldn’t put the burden of another starter there when the ones he has have already suffering to some extent sans Grookey from lack of development.

That was one reason why I said I'd prefer for them to bring back Dawn and Piplup instead. That would still provide some BD/SP promotion while featuring a fan favorite character and a popular Sinnoh starter. Bringing back Infernape to the main cast just doesn't really seem like an option for BD/SP promotion by comparison. Not to mention I still don't think it would make sense.

That being said, Goh getting a Sinnoh starter still sounds plausible to me. He has a lot of Pokemon already, but he'll still capture more and giving him one of the Sinnoh starters would make sense from a marketing perspective. I'd still prefer to see more character return to tie in with BD/SP, but I don't mind the idea of Goh getting another starter Pokemon either.

That was one reason why I said I'd prefer for them to bring back Dawn and Piplup instead. That would still provide some BD/SP promotion while featuring a fan favorite character and a popular Sinnoh starter. Bringing back Infernape to the main cast just doesn't really seem like an option for BD/SP promotion by comparison. Not to mention I still don't think it would make sense.

That being said, Goh getting a Sinnoh starter still sounds plausible to me. He has a lot of Pokemon already, but he'll still capture more and giving him one of the Sinnoh starters would make sense from a marketing perspective. I'd still prefer to see more character return to tie in with BD/SP, but I don't mind the idea of Goh getting another starter Pokemon either.
The more that I think about it, the more sense it makes for Ash to bring infernape back. His story didn't finish with Paul, in fact, it only started. Paul left Chimchar because he called it a weak Pokemon, and it wasn't only until it's final battle where Infernape proved that he wasn't weak. Infernape never got to have the redemption arc where it got to showcase it's power like Greninja did. Likewise, Ash doesn't have a starter on his team at all. This is the first in the history of the show that Ash isn't running with a starter. You say Infernape doesn't make sense, but why doesn't it? Infernape serves to market the remakes, it helps balance Ash's team out, it pulls in the nostalgia audience to buy the sinnoh games and it even might bring in more older fans into the show. Do you remember why they brought Charizard back in the first place? Best Wishes was flailing and they needed to bring people back into the anime again. The same is going on with Journeys. Ash's infernape was part of the golden era of the anime's popularity and besides Piplup, he is the most popular Sinnoh Pokemon. Couple that in with remake promotions, and it makes perfect sense.

Also, isn't it interesting that infernape left Ash's lab to seek out moltres? That alone proves that he has so much to prove and I don't want to dump on Ash, but what was he thinking? Dumping a Pokemon that wants to battle and get stronger into a reserve camp that doesn't do that at all? Seeing a Pokemon disatsified or rather frustrated with being stuck into a reserve section is actually refreshing for a change. Usually the anime writers just dump everyone into Oak's lab and doesn't ask questions at all.

Last edited:
Dawn would get one episode just like Infernape (two if they're generous), so I don't see the big difference. If they want to shove Piplup down our throats, they'll give it to Chloe which is hardly unlikely given the joint merchandise with Eevee.

I'm against bringing back any reserve on a permanent basis, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with rotating them for the PWC just like the Battle Frontier. If this Pallet Town reunion is just for BDSP promotion, then they should have waited 5-6 months and probably not bothered with the non-Sinnoh Pokemon.

Last edited:
I mean, they're already doing that for at least one episode...

Using Infernape for one episode is different than having it join the rest of Ash's current team though.

The more that I think about it, the more sense it makes for Ash to bring infernape back. His story didn't finish with Paul, in fact, it only started. Paul left Chimchar because he called it a weak Pokemon, and it wasn't only until it's final battle where Infernape proved that he wasn't weak. Infernape never got to have the redemption arc where it got to showcase it's power like Greninja did.

I don't really see why Infernape needs a redemption arc. It got to showcase its power throughout DP. That final battle proved to Paul that Infernape wasn't weak, but that wasn't the first time where that was proven. Infernape was always a strong Pokemon. The problem was that Paul couldn't bring out its true power like Ash could. It's also kind of an odd comparison with Greninja considering that it didn't get to win its final battle in a League like Infernape did. I just don't see a good in-universe reason to bring Infernape back when it already had a lot of attention and focus during DP.

Johtoo said:
Likewise, Ash doesn't have a starter on his team at all. This is the first in the history of the show that Ash isn't running with a starter. You say Infernape doesn't make sense, but why doesn't it? Infernape serves to market the remakes, it helps balance Ash's team out, it pulls in the nostalgia audience to buy the sinnoh games and it even might bring in more older fans into the show.

I say it doesn't make sense in large part because if they'd want to have some BD/SP promotion with the main cast, going for the unevolved starters makes more sense marketing wise. I also don't think that they really care about balancing out his team or even necessarily the fact that he doesn't have starters on his team for once. They never really seem to care about type balance in regards to Ash's teams and I'm not sure if they avoided giving Ash one of the Galar starters just to bring back an older starter for the remakes instead. It pulls in the nostalgia factor, but if that is the main selling point of bringing Infernape back into the main cast, then I'd rather that they didn't.

Johtoo said:
Do you remember why they brought Charizard back in the first place? Best Wishes was flailing and they needed to bring people back into the anime again. The same is going on with Journeys. Ash's infernape was part of the golden era of the anime's popularity and besides Piplup, he is the most popular Sinnoh Pokemon. Couple that in with remake promotions, and it makes perfect sense.

Was that the confirmed reason they brought Charizard back? It isn't the first time I've heard of that reasoning, but that sounds way more like fan theory territory instead of anything confirmed with the staff. It especially doesn't help that people use their opinions on BW and now Journeys to claim that they're failing or a failure in the case of Ash's current team. Even if this somehow was the actual confirmed reason they brought Charizard back, I don't think it did them any good in the long run. Charizard had a cool return episode and people were excited to see what it would do during Episode N in particular, but it did virtually nothing. They made a big deal about its return only for Charizard to do nothing. That's why I don't think that's a good comparison to make. It certainly doesn't make me want to see Infernape brought back to the main cast if it's just going to get the BW Charizard treatment.

I love DP. It's still my favorite Pokemon series and I just finished rewatching it recently, but saying it was the golden era of the anime's popularity is a bit much. It's still a well received series among fans online from what I've seen, but I wouldn't really say it was a golden era, especially compared to the anime's popularity during the original series. Plus, I think you could argue that XY is more popular/hyped than DP at this point.

Johtoo said:
Also, isn't it interesting that infernape left Ash's lab to seek out moltres? That alone proves that he has so much to prove and I don't want to dump on Ash, but what was he thinking? Dumping a Pokemon that wants to battle and get stronger into a reserve camp that doesn't do that at all? Seeing a Pokemon disatsified or rather frustrated with being stuck into a reserve section is actually refreshing for a change. Usually the anime writers just dump everyone into Oak's lab and doesn't ask questions at all.

I think that you're assuming a lot based on a teaser trailer. We don't know why Infernape wanted to battle Moltres or what led to it leaving Professor Oak's Lab, so immediately assuming that it was unsatisfied or frustrated with being stuck with the other reserves is a pretty big conclusion to jump to. It's an interesting idea, but since they kind of have to give Ash a fresh team with each series, if only to provide more Pokemon to promote and prevent his team from getting stale, I really have my doubts that they'll go that route. Plus, some of Ash's reserve Pokemon have learned moves off-screen, which would imply that they aren't just doing nothing at Professor Oak's Lab either. It would also feel kind of weird for Infernape to feel that way instead of Charizard who spent awhile training with other Charizard frequently.

Dawn would get one episode just like Infernape (two if they're generous), so I don't see the big difference. If they want to shove Piplup down our throats, they'll give it to Chloe which is hardly unlikely given the joint merchandise with Eevee.

Well they'd had more promotion for Dawn's return compared to Infernape's. If that is the episode were Gary returns, then that will get some promotion too, but most likely for Gary and not as much on Infernape. We'd get to see what Dawn has been doing since BW and possibly get to see a Contest, or at least some Contest moves. It still wouldn't be long term promotion either way, but I think it would be more interesting than using Infernape again. I do have a hard time picturing Chloe with a Piplup even with that merchandise in mind.

Still, I haven't come out of shock
I have watched this trailer 12 times now.
I guess, me summing up everything again is a waste of time, everyone has done it. I wish this hype remains even after the episode airs, the reunion of Ash's reservoirs has paved the way to the reunion of members in this forum. Let this joy be everlasting.

They're quirky. I give them that.

But the staff is lazy/stingy.
And the same ones that admitted not knowing what to do with Satoshi, so they're just limiting him to being forgetful/ditzy.

When did they say that about Satoshi?

Also, how likely does everyone here feel that Musashi's mom will be brought up? Likely? Unlikely?

Unlikely as there has been no traces of the TRio in the Project Mew footage which is a shame as this would have been the perfect time to delve into that material.
I don't think we should take that to mean anything (as we only saw seconds of material), that being said, yeah, probably nothing pertaining to the Jessie's Mom lore.

Infernape feeling restless at the lab would be forced as hell. Charizard feeling that way would make sense given that it lived at the valley for such a long-time. Even Bayleaf makes more sense given her attachment to Ash. But I wouldn’t buy it with Infernape.

Infernape feeling restless at the lab would be forced as hell. Charizard feeling that way would make sense given that it lived at the valley for such a long-time. Even Bayleaf makes more sense given her attachment to Ash. But I wouldn’t buy it with Infernape.

Heck, even Glalie makes sense, having been ignored for so long.

If anything Infernape is one of Ash's Pokémon with the best conclusion to their arc and possibly the best non-released one; they got to be a powerhouse throughout DP, defeated half their former trainer's team, and got to avoid the league kicker match. Greninja and Charizard wish they had it that good.

I love DP. It's still my favorite Pokemon series and I just finished rewatching it recently, but saying it was the golden era of the anime's popularity is a bit much. It's still a well received series among fans online from what I've seen, but I wouldn't really say it was a golden era, especially compared to the anime's popularity during the original series. Plus, I think you could argue that XY is more popular/hyped than DP at this point.
I'd say Kanto was surely the series golden age for popularity; the show's rating peaked then and it was everywhere.
DP compared to XY is interesting to consider (I tend to think of the two as fairly similar). XY seemed to get more hype and respect during it's run then DP did--XY had a lot of people saying "the show is good now, you should give it another try" in some places, which I never saw for DP, but DP got more popular over time while XY has gotten less. I think I see DP get more praise in general now but I'm not keeping count so it's hard to say definitively.

When did they say that about Satoshi?
I believe they're talking about this:

Edit: The best way to handle reserves is a tricky issue; I've always been in favor of using them but have seen some good arguments against here.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom