• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Prominent OU types

What is the most prominent type in OU ATM!

• Steel

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Ground

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Ghost

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Fairy

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Dragon

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Fighting

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
What do you guys think are some of the more dominant types right now, and what do you personally have trouble against?

EDIT: I realized poll is missing Dark. If you think I'm missing anything else plz tell me.

Last edited:
I'd say steel types. Just about every team runs a prominent Steel type. Most even run 2. I'd say that Flying types are on the rise as well. 5th gen really helped with the rise of flyers.

Definitely Steel, what with you kids today and your Bisharp and your Aegislash and your XPhones and iBoxes and your crazy-ass tier lists...

Fire.
Three of the top 8 used mons are part fire.
(Heatran, Charizard, Talonflame)

Fire spam is dominant in most lower tiers as well.
Except in LC, where Bird Spam is used to counter the dominant fighting types.

Fire.
Three of the top 8 used mons are part fire.
(Heatran, Charizard, Talonflame)

Fire spam is dominant in most lower tiers as well.
Except in LC, where Bird Spam is used to counter the dominant fighting types.

Same could be said with steel type. Fire only has about 5 or 6 in the tier. Steel has 5 in the top 15.

I would argue that Steel has seen a sharp decrease in prominence due to two things: It lost its Dark and Ghost resists, and it lost its former title as the only type that could reliably wall Dragons due to the introduction of Fairy. I would say Dark has come out on top this generation by far, due partly to the aforementioned Steel nerf but mostly because the Knock Off buff gave a ton of Dark types a hugely powerful and spammable STAB move that will screw up even resists. Not only that, but a lost of new toys have been given to Dark types as well, such as Mandibuzz, Skuntank, and Shiftry getting the Defog buff, Crawdaunt getting Aqua Jet, Weavile getting Icicle Crash (although that won;t be seen to its full potential until it becomes Knock Off compatible), Absol, Houndoom, and Tyranitar getting Megas, Sharpedo and Houndoom getting Destiny Bond, etc. These buffs, both indirect and direct, are easily quantified by massive tier jumps, with Mandibuzz shooting from NU to OU, Bisharp jumping from UU to OU, Crawdaunt jumping from RU to BL, Weavile jumping to BL, Absol jumping to UU from NU, so on and so forth.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom