• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

PS Vita or Switch?

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. She/Her
Owners of these consoles, how do they compare? (extra points if you own a hacked console heh)
Like in terms of game libraries, handheld feel, etc;.
I have a hacked Switch and am wanting to get a hacked Vita (perfect PSP and PS1 support, not to mention game backups and other homebrew).
My main gripes with the Switch are that the Switch is too big, it's not very portable, it's uncomfortable, and there's not enough high-quality VNs. Key is porting a lot more to the Switch but I'd still like games like Toradora, Danganronpa (I know it's coming to Switch in a few months), and Steins;gate.
The genres I like most are Visual Novels, rhythm games, and puzzle games (in order). JRPGS are fine.

Thank you!!!

I like both well enough. For me the PS Vita and PSP were mainly used for otomes, JRPG's, fighting games, and anime games (as in SAO, KnB, Bleach, etc.; mainly on PSP though). The Switch is also quickly becoming another go to system for otomes, both ones I've played before and exclusives, but so far it's mostly my main JRPG system with a few fighting games and very small anime games (mostly just MHA and SAO again).

As for how they compare, in terms of handheld PS Vita and PSP are better for portability; the first Switch model in handheld mode is a bit too big to carry around often, even with a case for it (which imo, makes it feel even bigger from my experience). For game libraries, since you mention you like VN's as well then go Vita, both systems have a good list of them (with Switch getting more currently and in future releases) but the Vita's list is a bit longer (if anything, Windows has way more lol). Both have good JRPG choices, so you can't really go wrong on that imo. For rhythm and puzzle games, I mainly played those on other systems and mobile, so I can't speak much on which has the best ones. Kingdom Hearts Memory of Melody was fun on Switch, so if you like that series you can give that one a try. I know one of the Vocaloid games is on the Switch as well, but I think there's more on the PlayStation systems.

Thank you so much for your reply!
What otomes do you reccomend? I've heard good things about shinsengumi but other than that I have no idea really, I've been wanting to try out a good otome.
Does KnB stand for Kuroko no Basuke?
As for rhythm games, the switch has both taiko and vocaloid rhythm games on it but I figure that a more portable version of those for the vita never hurts heh.
My switch is too big, even with a case, with the vita my main thing is to take it to school. (I've had good luck with taking my 2ds xl to school and slipping it into my computer case. I don't play the 2ds xl very much anyways, there's only one good VN there, I know I'd get much more mileage out of a vita). Of course playing it at home is nice as well!
I've heard the vita is home to more Japan-oriented things (which is good news for me), I know I'll never really play any FPS or western RPGson it (i dislike those genres usually).
My final question:
Do you know where I could find one cheap (and of course used?) iIve been scouting out eBay and been finding what i think are good-ish prices ($100-$130 USD), but I've heard that Facebook marketplace/Craigslist are good too. A lot of them are Japanese imports, but having a Japanese import system wouldn't bother me, I could stand to learn more kanji from it after all (I region changed my 2ds xl to Japanese for that exact reason lol!)
Thanks again for replying, you've truly helped for me to make up my mind. I've been kinda on the fence especially because of classic console emus being better on switch, but psp+psx games having perfect emulation AND the many vns+otomes+everything else have swayed me towards getting a vita (once I get enough money).
Thanks so much!
There's a lot I really like, but for absolute recommendations then: Hakuoki, Code: Realize, Collar X Malice, Norn9: Var Commons and Last Era, Psychedelica of the Black Butterfly and Ashen Hawk, Amnesia: Memories, and London Detective Mysteria. Edit: there's also Bad Apple Wars, it has mixed reviews and story isn't really anything to write home about and the romance is random, but I enjoyed it well enough personally; so if that doesn't bother you too much this is another one to try out.

Yes KnB is Kuroko's Basketball, though Game of Miracles is PSP only, the other two games are on 3DS.

I know the Vita has a few Vocaloid games but not sure of Taiko, unfortunately.

Yeah the Vita is better to take anywhere compared to the Switch in handheld, even in the case it takes up too much room in my bag lol.

The Vita (and indeed PSP) have more Japan oriented games yes, it's also a plus for me since I also generally play games imported from Japan on the system (I don't think I've ever touched a western game that's on the system lol).

As for where to find one cheap+used, eBay has a crystal black one used for $124.99 currently (and the seller has a high positive feedback), currently seems like your best bet to get one on there I'd say. I'd be wary about Craigslist though, and not sure how good Facebook marketplace is so I can't comment on that one. One other site that has them is Lukie Games, though they're a bit pricey, but if you decide to get one from them they have a 90 day no questions asked return policy, so if the quality isn't standard you can send it back easy. Otherwise you can also try GameStop, my local one had a used Vita for $120 a while back surprisingly.

Hopefully you get one soon, I guarantee you'll have fun with it's library. :)

Last edited:
Depends. The switch had some memorable games including the updated ports of Persona 3 (it's actually for the PSP, but digital downloads are compatible with the Vita) and Persona 4, and almost all Final Fantasy Games up to 10. The graphics and the performace were certainly was ahead of its time (and way ahead of any Nintendo's handhelds). Just look at the graphics between Persona 4 Golden or the Dancing games vs Persona Q on the 3DS. The latter was highly stylised as the games couldn't deal with the lack of processing/graphics power on the 3DS otherwise.

For a long time, I only intended to buy the Switch for Nintendo games including Pokemon, but there has been some previously PS-only titles that made it to the Switch.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom