• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pseudo-Rant

The Reverend A_K

Reaction score
I am seriously getting tired of people who complain about my teams often being over-used and standard, having at least two or three base 600s. But, the reason I do this is because I like competing in OU, not UU or NU. And, in OU, people use base 600s, and I'm not going to blindly run into battle with a fucking Dunsparce against a Garchomp. I'm going to use a Weavile. I even ask people before I fight them if they are comfortable with fighting in OU, and if they say yes, I don't want to hear them bitch that i use standard OU pokemon

Agreed, these noobs have to learn big time. I dont really fight so i dont complain about stuff. If these retarded three year olds want to complain, they better get off the net for god's sake.

Wow, I didn't understand a word of what you said there. Who really cares anyway? You're taking this stuff way to seriously if you're arguing whether or not some insignificant line of programming in the game makes a difference in how good your team is or whatever. Why not just make a team of high level Pokemon that have a well balanced move set and stop obsessing over every tiny little made-up stat that really has no bearing on overall battle performance?

Why not just make a team of high level Pokemon that have a well balanced move set and stop obsessing over every tiny little made-up stat that really has no bearing on overall battle performance?

These Pokemon would like a word with you. Seriously, it is naive to think that stats have no effect on gameplay, and I can tell you that they are not in fact, and "insignificant line of programming." Just because you can't be bothered reading the stats page to decide on the best moves for your Pokemon, doesn't mean that the stats are useless.

Hack a Lv. 100 Pokemon with 1 in each stat. Now pit it against a hacked Lv. 1 Pokemon with 999 accross the board. After all that, tell me again that stats are insignificant.

This isn't the anime. It takes a lot more than a strong bond with your Pokemon to stop it from getting flattened in competitive play.

Even after factoring in stats, I often like to think that they alone are not going to be the deciding factor in competitive gameplay. While I have never battled competitively before, I still believe that a team of UUs and NUs can still beat a team of OUs, MUs, and BLs if the correct strategy is used.

I can't say much for now though, but keep in mind that even sky-high stats are useless if you don't make good use of them - that's my frim belief.

Even after factoring in stats, I often like to think that they alone are not going to be the deciding factor in competitive gameplay. While I have never battled competitively before, I still believe that a team of UUs and NUs can still beat a team of OUs, MUs, and BLs if the correct strategy is used.

True, true, but I still use standards and OUs because I know that no matter how much strategy I use, a smeargle isn't going to beat a Tyranitar XD

*Calm Mind*

I personally haven't heard anyone whining about people using certain pokemon too often.. but perhaps I haven't been scanning all the website's different posts often enough.

I admit that I have a few of the OU guys on my better battle-teams (Dragonite, Salamence, Milotic)
But hey - my best pokemon is a Tropius (NU? Silly tier system, you don't know Cybele), so perhaps I'm not that unoriginal.

Anyways, though I'm not going to say something like 'stats don't matter', it's not what you're getting angry about that makes much a difference, it is that you're getting so angry in general
- - this is a game, what most people consider a kid's game - - don't get too crazy about it - -

A little apathy can be a good thing. :drowsy:

True, true, but I still use standards and OUs because I know that no matter how much strategy I use, a smeargle isn't going to beat a Tyranitar XD
Not if the Smeargle has Lock-On, and either Sheer Cold, Fissure, or Horn Drill, and is holding a Focus Sash :p .

And yes, I checked - Smeargle is faster than Tyranitar.

(p.s. I forgot Guillotine :p )

Last edited:
Flawed logic. Can't rely on Focus Sash against Ttar due to Sand Stream.

But what if you got someone else to Rain Dance or Sunny Day the battle first? And what if the Smeargle later Blocks or Mean Look the Tyranitar?

Edit: OK, I will keep things simple: what if the Tyranitar is forced into a corner, being that it's the user's last Pokémon, doesn't know Sandstorm, and there is another weather effect (other than hailstorm) in place?

Last edited:
But what if you got someone else to Rain Dance or Sunny Day the battle first? And what if the Smeargle later Blocks or Mean Eyes the Tyranitar?

Then that tyranitar is screwed! Honestly, it doesnt matter what people use, so long as it is ok with their opponent.

Agreed. What gets me most is when people (n00bs, you can tell, sometimes they go up against me with a battle pass on PBR) disconnect on me as soon as I send my Tyranitar out. And it's not an all OU team, even! Tyranitar, Typhlosion, Swampert, Espeon, Umbreon, and Ampharos.

N00bs tend to only fight people that never switch and it's a big OHKO fest with nothing but attack moves. When you fight someone with strategy, your basically boned. Honestly, when my wifi gets back up this Christmas, I'll use my standard and reliable Electrivire/Sceptile/Gallade/Gardevoir/Umbreon/TTar combo. And if anyone has a problem with that, then tough.

1 its a game
2 its pokemon, use the one you like and dont complain if you lose. Every pokemon and be 1 shotted if you know what you are doing. =P
3 yes stats do matter, anyone who says that should never compete lol

if i go into battle with 6 ubers i can still easily lose, its called type match ups. Not to hard to do lol

Please note: The thread is from 16 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom