• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Psychic Types: Overestimated?

That didn't stopped having a team of steel types who, depsite being OU, share the weaknesses, which they could've all been defeated by a single Fire or Fighting move. But no, it's the hazards you should be more worried about when facing them.

lolwut? What does that have anything to do with this topic or my comment?

lolwut? What does that have anything to do with this topic or my comment?

You said you'll only use a Psychic type that runs a dual type, but you'll still have problems even if your team of a type of your choice has secondary types for coverage.

You said you'll only use a Psychic type that runs a dual type, but you'll still have problems even if your team of a type of your choice has secondary types for coverage.

I'm not trying to be rude, but your words are confusing me. Are you trying to say that I'm weaker by running a dual type? I know the down sides of running a dual type, but those are risks you have to take when you plan out a team that runs a dual type. What's wrong with that? You'll always have problems no matter what kind of type you run, (Unless running a Ghost and Dark type.)

I personally as a competitive player do not like running solid Psychic types. It's just that, Psychic types feel inefficient to me, plus their weaknesses are easily covered by running the right attacks and types to get rid of them.
Plus in competitive play, I have never had trouble getting rid of Psychic types when using my teams. They're often the least of my problems when playing.

I'm not trying to be rude, but your words are confusing me. Are you trying to say that I'm weaker by running a dual type? I know the down sides of running a dual type, but those are risks you have to take when you plan out a team that runs a dual type. What's wrong with that? You'll always have problems no matter what kind of type you run, (Unless running a Ghost and Dark type.)

I personally as a competitive player do not like running solid Psychic types. It's just that, Psychic types feel inefficient to me, plus their weaknesses are easily covered by running the right attacks and types to get rid of them.
Plus in competitive play, I have never had trouble getting rid of Psychic types when using my teams. They're often the least of my problems when playing.

What I'm trying to say that it isn't always a good idea to run a one type team regardless if they have secondary types to back them up, even if you're running a weather-based team.

What I'm trying to say that it isn't always a good idea to run a one type team regardless if they have secondary types to back them up, even if you're running a weather-based team.

Um... yeah... I know that... Which is why I was saying I don't run solid psychic types. I also don't run a solid one type team either... I don't think anybody does that, well anybody in competitive play anyways.

I am seriously lost on what you are trying to say. Are you trying to prove me wrong or are you trying to promote what I'm saying? I think the way you structure your sentences is a little unclear.

Um... yeah... I know that... Which is why I was saying I don't run solid psychic types. I also don't run a solid one type team either... I don't think anybody does that, well anybody in competitive play anyways.

I am seriously lost on what you are trying to say. Are you trying to prove me wrong or are you trying to promote what I'm saying? I think the way you structure your sentences is a little unclear.

I was just trying to point out that dual types wouldn't help the problem of running a team of a certain (Ex: a team containining Water/Grass, Water/Ice, Water/Flying, etc), and Psychic types are no exception to this.

Looking at dragon types as they are in the current gen, there's only one type there to resist them- the steel type, which ends up being important for many a player for that reason.

Looking at the old type chart, and one would notice that Psychic hits super-effective or neutral to everything, except for the one type there to resist them- itself, which would end up being important for many a player for that reason.

Fail Blast is the best choice we have until GF creates more special-based fighting moves, also it goes well with Victini and its ability. I didn't mentioned Hidden Power, just fire moves such as flamethrower.

Let me say one thing. Once you start battling you realize how useful a decent stab attack is. I can simply spam moves like Shadow ball and Dragon Claw. It eases prediction by a lot. You can say all you like but a stab with less resistances is always more coveted.

Let me take Alakazam, the poster boy of Psychic type's dominance. First of all, he isn't going to get flamethrower any time soon. Game Freak isn't known for its logic but: 1) Alakazam would have got flamethrower ages back if it would have received it. 2) I find it hard to imagine alakazam spewing flames when he can't even learn will o wisp.

And as you youself pointed out, the deal is to make room for coverage. If psychichs hit steel types neutrally, you don't need fail blast or even fire attacks. 2 coverage moves with miracle eye will suffice which will open up a moveslot for calm mind. Having a better stab also eases prediction by a lot. If you battle, you will know what I mean.

Dark and Steel added a lot of balence to the meta-game (Balenced out Psychic for one. Something that resisted Dragon which Steel is the only type to do so. Gave both Fire and Fighting types an extra advantage) What's the vendetta against Dark and Steel types? they should've been in Gen I anyway

Dark and Steel added a lot of balence to the meta-game (Balenced out Psychic for one. Something that resisted Dragon which Steel is the only type to do so. Gave both Fire and Fighting types an extra advantage) What's the vendetta against Dark and Steel types? they should've been in Gen I anyway

You also realized that Steel also brings more use to ground types, which is more common than fire and fighting, so there's really no point in using the latter two if that happens, only the moves. Psychic was already balanced to begin with thanks to Bug and Ghost, but poor diversion, glitches, and limited moves is what caused it.

You also realized that Steel also brings more use to ground types, which is more common than fire and fighting, so there's really no point in using the latter two if that happens, only the moves. Psychic was already balanced to begin with thanks to Bug and Ghost, but poor diversion, glitches, and limited moves is what caused it.

There where only 2 ghosts families one of which was weak to Psychic the other on was uselss. Bugs were useless as well in the first 2 gens... so no Psychic was not balenced at all... why are you complainng anyway? its been 2 years

There where only 2 ghosts families one of which was weak to Psychic the other on was uselss. Bugs were useless as well in the first 2 gens... so no Psychic was not balenced at all... why are you complainng anyway? its been 2 years

That could've been easily solved if they added more ghost and bug moves, seeing as they're weak on the physical side, and the Psychic types weren't all that powerful (Mr. Mime and Hypno stunk, Jynx's ice typing and Exeggutor's grass typing cripples them, and Starmie and Slowbro have water typings to keep them from running amuck). It's just Alakazam, Mewtwo, and Mew who were game breakers. There wasn't much of a need for Steel types (and Dark types in a certain extent) and creating weaker Psychic types like Girafarig and Chimecho.

Even if there HAD been better Ghost and Bug moves in Gen 1, Alakazam still would have been broken because it would have been able to kill you before you had the chance to use any of those moves. Honestly the best thing to use against Psychics was a Jolteon with Pin Missle, and believe me Psychics would be the ONLY thing you used Pin Missile for because Jolteon's physical attack was as awful then as it is now. You want to talk Gen 1 Psychics that weren't Alakazam? Here's a list.

Starmie was still fast as hell AND got STAB on Surf to kill you. Slowbro had Amnesia to raise it's Special stat, which it could then use to spam Psychics and Surfs (and it also had a pretty good Defense and HP stat, making it a tank). Jynx was able to outspeed and one-shot Dragonite with STAB Ice Beam, and then kill everything else off with it or Psychic. Mr. Mime had 90 base speed and access to Thunder Wave so it could abuse it's base 100 Special stat easier. Exeggutor had base 125 Special, access to Sleep Powder and Stun Spore, and when it was done using Psychic and it's Grass STAB on you, it could explode off a base 95 Attack. Hypno was probably the worse of the Psychic types in gen 1, but he still got Hypnosis and Thunder Wave and a base 115 Special stat to fire off Psychics from.

So yeah. I'd argue that the addition of Dark and Steel types was kind of necessary.

One mustn't forget how the Special split contributed to making Psychic types far less powerful.

One mustn't forget how the Special split contributed to making Psychic types far less powerful.

That is only half the truth. The coming of Scizor and physical Pursuit spelled doom for Psychic types. Psychics were pretty good till gen 3 but most fell after D/P.

That is only half the truth. The coming of Scizor and physical Pursuit spelled doom for Psychic types. Psychics were pretty good till gen 3 but most fell after D/P.

Well, I meant more "stopping them from being broken" then "bringing their downfall". No more Alakazam with 135 Sp. Def.

Well, I meant more "stopping them from being broken" then "bringing their downfall". No more Alakazam with 135 Sp. Def.

well, it shouldn't be forgotten that the psychics would also encounter other pokes with high Special(like Chansey). But yes, the coming of Blissey and Snorlax also played a major role, so you aren't wrong there.

I think you have it all wrong. I think the Psychic type was overestimated because the legendary Mew and Mewtwo were psychic type. And this continued onwards in the 2nd and 3rd gen with Celebi, Jirachi and Deoxys. The type itself was powerful in gen 1 because of the Special attack and the move Psychic. I suppose it makes sense to say that the Dark type and the Steel type were added to counter Psychic, but I don't think that was the only reason nor the main reason. If anything, I think Dragon types re overestimated. But that's just a personal opinion, no offence intended.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom