• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Psychic Types: Overestimated?

No. Protect with HP draining effect is ridiculously OP, and crippling special attackers (have you got something against them?)? It would break the metagame.
if it's a signature move for one or two pokemon? it could work like Shel Trap that if the foe uses physical then it doesnt work.
stop fear about the metagame, start to think about the strategy and fun, we have plenty of generations to go.

if it's a signature move for one or two pokemon? it could work like Shel Trap that if the foe uses physical then it doesnt work.
stop fear about the metagame, start to think about the strategy and fun, we have plenty of generations to go.

A stable metagame creates fun. You've got a sort of twisted idea of metagame. Making OP things dosen't make a good competitive requirement.

All you want to do is centralise the meta in the name of 'fun'. It won't be fun if everything you see is a single OP Pokemon. You need to learn that.

A stable metagame creates fun. You've got a sort of twisted idea of metagame. Making OP things dosen't make a good competitive requirement.

All you want to do is centralise the meta in the name of 'fun'. It won't be fun if everything you see is a single OP Pokemon. You need to learn that.

Yes I know that but taking that we have a good amoubt of legendaries and UB now do you think really my ideas are to OP?
Think I never stated that I wanted a pokemon with legendary stats to get those ideas done on it I wanted regular pokemon with those, something similar to shedinja, mimikyu when I though about pokemon immune to physical attacks(dark/psychic panther) or one to those special attacks(dragon/ghost skeletor). With 1 point in the stats they are strong with the immunity for mold breakers to be good and medium low hp and defensive stats they would get hit for damage.
Medium attack or special attack to not make tchem sweeepers but rather stallers.

After remastering the idea you think its stable now more then then? we need to nerf special attackers too in some ways to create new pokemon.

It's surprising how many people underestimate the value of neutral coverage nowadays. Psychic is actually one of the best offensive types right now, behind Fire, Fairy, and Ground. People think that because a type isn't super effective against much, it's bad, but that's flat-out wrong. Look at Dragons, for instance - Despite only being strong against themselves, they quickly became overpowered due to nothing being able to switch in to them, and what little that could was trapped by Magnezone. Psychic isn't at that point yet, but it's the same idea - few Pokémon that aren't Dark or Steel type can safely switch in to Specs Tapu Lele's Psyshock or Mega Alakazam's Psychic, and even most of the ones that could can't take a Focus Blast. Without Dark or Steel, Psychic would still have Dragon levels of dominance. Honestly, the Psychic type is fine, and any attempts to buff it would backfire immensely.

It's surprising how many people underestimate the value of neutral coverage nowadays. Psychic is actually one of the best offensive types right now, behind Fire, Fairy, and Ground. People think that because a type isn't super effective against much, it's bad, but that's flat-out wrong. Look at Dragons, for instance - Despite only being strong against themselves, they quickly became overpowered due to nothing being able to switch in to them, and what little that could was trapped by Magnezone. Psychic isn't at that point yet, but it's the same idea - few Pokémon that aren't Dark or Steel type can safely switch in to Specs Tapu Lele's Psyshock or Mega Alakazam's Psychic, and even most of the ones that could can't take a Focus Blast. Without Dark or Steel, Psychic would still have Dragon levels of dominance. Honestly, the Psychic type is fine, and any attempts to buff it would backfire immensely.
As with Sablaireau, Psychic is currently dominating the meta games thanks to Tapu Lele. Psychic Surge offers huge support, being able to win games based off Choice Scarf, as well as Boosted Psychic attacks. Though I will admit, prior to Tapu Lele's introduction, Psychic was Mediocre.

Honestly, the Psychic type is fine, and any attempts to buff it would backfire immensely.

but adding new moves would be fine:
-a shield version that could heal user up when hit with special move from oponent;
- a shield version that you can send into the future +4turns to protect and maybe heal a pokemon;
- a traping move;
- psychic version of whirlpool

I would only want Teleport to work more like U-turn or Bounce, but without doing damage but rather changing priority only for next turn, to be like Detect+ secret priority.

Kinesis should affect steel types difrently then other pokemon taking that you can change a spoons form.

Psychic Surge offers huge support, being able to win games based off Choice Scarf, as well as Boosted Psychic attacks.

not all Psychic pokes are fast like Alakazam 120 speed, that was a good move doing that, especially if we compare dark, fairy and ghost which got their respective immunities.

Look at Dragons

Dragons have higher base stats then other pokemon, psyhic rather were the tricky pokemon with moves to play with the stats, abilities, effects and priority of their oponents and their own.

Last edited:
(a shield version that could heal user up when hit with psychic move;
a shield version that you can send into the future +4turns to protect and maybe heal a pokemon;
- a traping move;
- psychic version of whirlpool)
I'll kill anyone who puts these moves near Alakazam or Tapu Lele.

Those types got their immunities to nerf OP Types (psychic and dragon), in fact these types were MADE for the immunities. It is not fair to compare these types with psychic.

I'll kill anyone who puts these moves near Alakazam or Tapu Lele.

do Tapu lele , Alakazam, Solgaleo, Lunala and other need to learn all the same moves?

Maybe make this shield moves work only if the user is slower then it's oponent?
They would also be nerfed like Protect, Detect and the rest.

I though more of these pokemon lines and their preevolutions:

Exeggutor speed 55, Jynx speed 95, Girafarig speed 85, Bruxish speed 92, Lunatone speed 70, Solrock speed 70, Claydol speed 75, Bronzong speed 33, Darmanitan speed 55 zen mode, Delphox speed 104, Malamar speed73 , Oranguru speed 60,

Beheeyem speed 40, Reuniclus speed 30, Gothitelle speed 65, Musharna speed 29, Meowstic speed 104, Mr Mime speed 90, Xatu speed 95, Siligyph speed 97, alolan Raichu speed 110

and some ghost pokemon like Sabley and very weak and slow fairies, dark and bug types and future combos like bug/dark, bug/psychic, bug/ice and others with many weakness.

Those types got their immunities to nerf OP Types (psychic and dragon), in fact these types were MADE for the immunities. It is not fair to compare these types with psychic.

Is life comepletly fair? no, but in nature there is law that every beeing tries to survive.
I know that psychic it is own thing but why not make it get better moves and abilities and future pokemon at least for some exceptions.

Last edited:
I know that psychic it is own thing but why not make it get better moves and abilities and future pokemon at least for some exceptions
Becuase first some other types need to be buffed. If you're buffing psychic, it's weaknesses also need a buff. Dark is already a great offensive type along with ghost, so it leaves out bug, which would need to be buffed, or we'll be seeing a Gen 1 situation again.

Is life comepletly fair? no, but in nature there is law that every beeing tries to survive.
But a competitive game (which is what we're discussing) is fair. The RNG is already there for the luck and 'life is not fair' factor.

And Alolan Raichu has 110 speed.

Dark is already a great offensive type along with ghost, so it leaves out bug, which would need to be buffed, or we'll be seeing a Gen 1 situation again.

First Impression priority 3+, Investation and Powder priority +1 werent buffs?
But on the other hand psychic terrain blocks their usefulness.
maybe bugs should resist psyhic and fairy after all?(+ghost resist ice and ice resist ghost)

yes 110. sorry.

First Impression priority 3+, Investation and Powder priority +1 werent buffs?
But on the other hand psychic terrain blocks their usefulness.
maybe bugs should resist psyhic and fairy after all?(+ghost resist ice and ice resist ghost)

yes 110. sorry.

First impression, Powder are signature moves to not-so-viable Pokemon. Infestation is a very niche move. Hardly a buff. The only nice buff was leech life.
(And ghost imo shouldn't get any more disadvantaged, it is balanced)

First impression, Powder are signature moves to not-so-viable Pokemon. Infestation is a very niche move. Hardly a buff. The only nice buff was leech life.
(And ghost imo shouldn't get any more disadvantaged, it is balanced)

maybe more should be viable? What would be a buff?
maybe more special moves? maybe flinching? spider webs and silk are know to immobilize the foe, that could be done for 1 turn.

(ghost resisting ice and ice resisting ghost would be very good for both types and for many type combos with them, that would nerf mega Gengar too you know)

Well I believe that they still can be very effective with a secondary typing to counteract their frailty toward Bug, Dark, and Ghost types.

A clear example of this is Gardivoir and Tapu Le Le. As much as they may still be weak to ghost types they take neutral damage from Dark and Bug types, which does make a difference in their offensive and defensive capability.

They aren't the only example of this, but with another type like Steel, or Fairy, or Normal can sometimes decide a win, or loss.

If I'm honest all the types are getting an equal footing in this generation, but some have suffered more than others.

Of course this does open up more vulnerabilities due to the dual typing, but it can be clear that this can be used and taken advantage of in the right setting.

I think we all forget about the quantity of moves, adbilities and stats that even somewhat the chances and that really would need re-thinking.

The sheer amount of "Usually Useless Moves" on Showdown says LOADS that the amount of even useable moves is low.

becuase brut strengt is easy to use... if some pokes would have more "strategical" abilities that would force brutal strenght users to change their one sided strategy.

becuase brut strengt is easy to use... if some pokes would have more "strategical" abilities that would force brutal strenght users to change their one sided strategy.

There are good defensive moves too. The meta is in fact not dominated by Hyper offensive now. We have Stall.

There are MANY defensivd moves in the viable category.

Your point of "there are many' moves was just completely destroyed by the fact that most of them are useless.

There are good defensive moves too. The meta is in fact not dominated by Hyper offensive now. We have Stall.

There are MANY defensivd moves in the viable category.

Your point of "there are many' moves was just completely destroyed by the fact that most of them are useless.
taking that only shielding moves are really good, others rise maybe def or sp. def but they take a turn and do not half the damage done in the turn they were used.

You know that many players use sweapers more then the stallers?

useless, some moves ale only a repeted version with name change...

Lets talk about Good Stallers and how many sweapers exist to take them down?

taking that only shielding moves are really good, others rise maybe def or sp. def but they take a turn and do not half the damage done in the turn they were used.

You know that many players use sweapers more then the stallers?

useless, some moves ale only a repeted version with name change...

Lets talk about Good Stallers and how many sweapers exist to take them down?

I'm sorry, but I really don't think you understand the metagame right now. The best teams right now are stall and balance teams, which both rely heavily on defense. This is largely due to Dugtrio, which can eliminate Pokémon that threaten these teams such as Heatran and Tapu Lele and has very little counterplay (and that's not even getting into GothStall, which was about as fun to play against as getting a lobotomy and only ended when Shadow Tag was banned). The situation is the other way around, with too many stallers in the top tier and so few Pokémon that can break though them due to Dugtrio eliminating most of them. Sure, many players still prefer to play offensively, but it's only the bulky stall and balance teams that truly have success in high-level tournaments.

I'm sorry, but I really don't think you understand the metagame right now. The best teams right now are stall and balance teams, which both rely heavily on defense. This is largely due to Dugtrio, which can eliminate Pokémon that threaten these teams such as Heatran and Tapu Lele and has very little counterplay (and that's not even getting into GothStall, which was about as fun to play against as getting a lobotomy and only ended when Shadow Tag was banned). The situation is the other way around, with too many stallers in the top tier and so few Pokémon that can break though them due to Dugtrio eliminating most of them. Sure, many players still prefer to play offensively, but it's only the bulky stall and balance teams that truly have success in high-level tournaments.

how then would you change it? without banning anything?
Really? I saw many coplaints about sweapers on the net.

Dugtrio has Greninja and many Ice shard and Aqua jet users to worry about.

More point of creating "new things" in future, we have Z-moves, abilities, KO moves.
(How many Stallers have attack=special attack????)

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom