• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review PT03: A Budding Dream

Okay, this here was just pure delight in animation form. It was so cute how the little girl and the Nidoran bonded and eventually became partners. The old Charizard was also quite cute and funny, and the part where the girl managed to rouse it from its lethargy to save the day was awesome.

Also, Dragapult YAS! :bulbaLove: I do wonder where it was hiding all this time, though.

The region in question is definitely not Galar, if only because of the regular Slowpoke. Dodrio, Arbok and the Beedril line are missing from SwSh entirely. It would also be odd if the classic Nidorino vs. Gengar scene took place anywhere but Kanto.

I guess that the parents moved to Kanto after losing to Leon or something. I feel like playing as Tsubomi in a Kanto game now.

Last edited:
I really hope they dub these someday because this deserves to be seen by people who don't follow the Japanese side of the franchise and won't know it exists. This is what I like from my Pokémon; comfy slice of life stories with heart in them.
The first Poketoon didn't have dialog in any capacity and would need only minor edits yet hasn't been acknowledged by the English channels at all, so the chance of this one getting released is pretty slim, unfortunately. Maybe since it's made by the Twilight Wings team we could get something.

This short was adorable and heartwarming. I feel like there was a lot of lore building despite the fifteen minutes or so of animation time, which is testament to the writers! The TW team has done it again.

While there were a lot of neat moments (like how Dragapult ethereally manifested at the end or how an Arbok tried to eat Tsubomi's future Nidoran) , I loved the Tsubomi capture attempts in particular; throwing a Poke Ball at a slightly moving Slowpoke and missing....would be me, unfortunately - I felt that part in my soul. I also liked how her parent's partners remained with them as they grew older and started a family, in addition to the father's Charizard notably growing old with age; and yes - super impressed her mother was the Champion; we need more female, powerful Trainer representation!

A really cute short, it felt familiar but fresh at the same time. Loved the focus on family relationships and how Tsubomi really wanted to make a name for herself. I also liked seeing her struggling with basic battles and captures (unlike you know who) which made her very relatable. My only complaint would be seeing Kanto again, but they made up for it using underrated Pokemon (sans Charizard) for that region. Feels like a great prologue to a story we'll sadly never see.

This short was adorable and heartwarming. I feel like there was a lot of lore building despite the fifteen minutes or so of animation time, which is testament to the writers! The TW team has done it again.

While there were a lot of neat moments (like how Dragapult ethereally manifested at the end or how an Arbok tried to eat Tsubomi's future Nidoran) , I loved the Tsubomi capture attempts in particular; throwing a Poke Ball at a slightly moving Slowpoke and missing....would be me, unfortunately - I felt that part in my soul. I also liked how her parent's partners remained with them as they grew older and started a family, in addition to the father's Charizard notably growing old with age; and yes - super impressed her mother was the Champion; we need more female, powerful Trainer representation!
She explicitly stated she lost the next battle. Sorry, but she's not a Champ.

I loved this! so! much!! The parallel between Nidoran's parents deciding to let it travel and Tsubomi's doing the same was really nice - they'll be great partners. Seeing the fire in her eyes when she begged Charizard for help was also a powerful moment. The animation was super expressive and lively. Loved the parents' (especially the mom's) designs as well! The entire thing was great and really reminds me of what I love about Pokémon.

Oh, and that camera moving around Tsubomi at the end was A+++

Anyone else think the mom's comment of, "Daddy couldn't even do it. How could you become Champion?" a little harsh for a parent to say? Was that just her way of trying to deter her from becoming a trainer?

Also, interesting how mom seemed to be the one to go out and work while the dad stayed home. Not sure if we've had that in Pokemon or not. I wonder if her daughter knew she was the champion at one point. As much as she idolized her dad, I'm assuming not?

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom