• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review PT03: A Budding Dream

Damn, Studio Colorido bringing the fire once again with another amazing short based in Galar. I loved the sense of "reality" like it actually felt like a lived in world. Though that scene in the PokéMart has me wondering, do PokéBalls have barcodes or how else does the cashier process them for purchasing. :confused:

Tsubomi and her family were very endearing in the fifteen minutes we got to see of them. But damn, Tsubomi sucks at throwing PokéBalls, she needs to take some lessons from Gou. Also don't lie to me, I know Nidoking and Nidoqueen can't breed so they definitely aren't the kid's parents. :ROFLMAO:

The climax with Charizard finally getting off its narcoleptic ass and helping Tsubomi was awesome and I loved the stinger at the end with Nidorino versus Gengar as a tribute to the 25th anniversary complete with the old music. :bulbaLove:

Overall this is easily my favourite of the three PokéToons so far (I'm including the Scraggy/Mimikyu one in that) mainly because I prefer humans rather than episodes focused on Pokémon themselves. It'll be hard for the others to top this but I'm excited for them nonetheless.

Awwwww, now this was absolutely adorable!! Definitely one of the best pieces of Pokemon anime to come out ever! I'm putting this in my top 10 favorite anime!! This is the breath of fresh air that the Pokemon franchise needed. The whole thing was really adorable and sweet, with a nice blend of humor and heart (I got a chuckle out of Tsubomi blowing her money on PokeBalls at the PokeMart), and having a girl protag for once helps too! Also loved the little gag at the end! I saw what they did there! Hope someone dubs this into English! I'd love to show this to my future kids someday!

FYI for anyone who cares, but the title is a pun. "Tsubomi" (Flower Bud) is also the main character's name so the title can be read as either "A Budding Dream" or "Tsubomi's Dream".

Are you sure this is Galar? There's a noticable lack of Gen VIII mons here.
I'd have to rewatch more carefully to see if they specifically say it's Galar, but given the parents both participated at Wyndon Stadium I was assuming that they were from Galar at least.

It certainly did bug me that both parents had a signature Pokémon of Leon's.

This was great but is the Charizard old or just a lazy bum?

Are you sure this is Galar? There's a noticable lack of Gen VIII mons here.
We saw Dragapult and the Wyndon Stadium.
Considering that we only see Kanto Pokémon (including some not in Galar like Dodrio) with the exception of the Dragapult, I thought this took place in Kanto and the parents met in Galar but don’t necessarily live there now. That’s my interpretation, at least.

Last edited:
A very sweet short, with a nice reference at the end. Seeing Tsubomi rouse Charizard from its lethargy to be her steed to calm the battle was very inspiring as well.
Unfortunately, since there don’t seem to be English subtitles, I miss a lot of context in dialogue. Did Tsubomi’s parents just not believe she could handle being a Trainer? Granted, her abysmal luck with throwing Poke Balls lent credence to that, but every Trainer has to start somewhere, right?

A very sweet short, with a nice reference at the end. Seeing Tsubomi rouse Charizard from its lethargy to be her steed to calm the battle was very inspiring as well.
Unfortunately, since there don’t seem to be English subtitles, I miss a lot of context in dialogue. Did Tsubomi’s parents just not believe she could handle being a Trainer? Granted, her abysmal luck with throwing Poke Balls lent credence to that, but every Trainer has to start somewhere, right?

I took a few years of Japanese in college, and based on what I could infer, they were worried that her carelessness would get her into trouble. Note how the bowl she washed immediately fell and broke because she wasn't careful about putting it away. But I could be wrong. Plus, for all we know, someone might fansub this in a day or two, maybe a little later.

I took a few years of Japanese in college, and based on what I could infer, they were worried that her carelessness would get her into trouble. Note how the bowl she washed immediately fell and broke because she wasn't careful about putting it away. But I could be wrong. Plus, for all we know, someone might fansub this in a day or two, maybe a little later.
Good point. That makes sense. Thanks =)

Man, this aesthetic and the pokemon hanging around really gave off that quaint vibe Kanto’s always had. The animation was great and the characters had very nice personalities. I especially liked the Protagonist-Whose-Name-I-Can’t-Spell and would love to see more of her adventures.

I was initially annoyed at yet another prominent Charizard, but this one had such an unique personality compared to most we’ve seen (a.k.a, it actually had one) that I grew fond of it.

That twist by the end was a great touch. The second the Gengar showed up I knew what was coming and almost shouted in glee when Nidorino pounced.

The only thing I didn't like about this short were the other trainers...ignoring that the Nido-duo was probably here because of a Nidoran right behind them, but yeah, otherwise, pretty much echo the common sentiments here.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom