• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Puerto Rico Votes to Become 51st U.S. State

This sounds awesome for the drug cartels because now all they have to do is go PR when they become a state to smuggle drugs in here becuase of less regulations of interstate commerce vs commonwealth to state commerce they same applies for us territories.

Interesting. I thought that D.C. might become a state before Puerto Rico, but hey things work out the way they work out.

It is highly unlikely that Washington, D.C. will become a state - its original purpose was to be a non-state entity to place America's capitol in.

Sounds like something interesting.

It would be good for flag making businesses certainly as someone already brought up

Not necessarily good or bad but interesting.

Last edited:
I honestly think it'd be just as much a burden for flag makers as a boon, as they'll have a surplus of 50-star flags that are now completely useless and unsellable.

I honestly think it'd be just as much a burden for flag makers as a boon, as they'll have a surplus of 50-star flags that are now completely useless and unsellable.

They will be rare a collectable in a couple hundred years though
Maybe, but that's really not of immediate economic concern.

Things that are mass produced generally aren't collectible or worth anything, even over 50 years later. I guess if you had a flag collection a 50 star flag might be worth something, but probably not as a general collector's piece.

So I assume that Canada will no longer be the butt of 51st-state jokes if this goes through?

Although then we'd be the butt of 52nd-state jokes, I guess...

Things that are mass produced generally aren't collectible or worth anything, even over 50 years later. I guess if you had a flag collection a 50 star flag might be worth something, but probably not as a general collector's piece.

As someone who is casually into coin-collecting, mass-produced items (as money is, by nature) can become valuable in a hundred years or more, depending on just how many were made (obviously, there are a lot more coins being made now than there were in the 19th century, which is part of the value of the latter). But yeah, 50 years is premature - it's not that hard to find a coin that old just by going through your loose change, so no one's going to pay money to add it to their collection. It's the same, I would guess, with flags.

So while mass-produced items are something that maybe your descendants could cash in on if they keep it around long enough, it's not something people should be expecting to make money off in their own lifetimes like they might with an ultra-rare first-edition Pokemon card.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom