• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pure Flying Type: Will We Ever Get One?

Remember we didn't get a pure Ice type until Generation III. Where there were only 3, one of them legendary and the other two the same line. Now there's another one as an Eevee evolution.

And right now, also introduced in Generation III, there are a total of 2 pure steel types. One of them legendary too. And it didn't even get an eeveelution later.

Why following this rule Swablu and Altaria aren't pure Flying types? I don't know. I guess Altaria could be a Dragon for trying to make Hoenn a little more exotic in a way, as there were many dragon types there. Swablu probably is too weak to not be part normal, and it would quite ruin the novelty if the pure flying lost that unique typing for a more common one.

Either way, considering all the parallels Gen. V is having to Gen. III, I think it's quite likely they introduce a pure flying type there in the same manner Snornut was introduced.
They are adding another pure steel type (Giaru) after all.

For the more spectical views, think that sooner or later, they will have to add one. Even if there is one reason that they haven't added a pure flying in the +500 creatures there are, with 17*17 type combinations available, they will have to make an exception eventually. The only way there won't be a pure flying is if the franchise ends abruptly, but as the franchise still exists, we can only assume they will.

Last edited:
I'm hoping for it, but doubting it. I mean, it's been four generations already. Plus, the only Pokemon for said type seems to be a cloud, which they could easily use for a dual-type.

Rather than getting our first pure Flying-type this generation, I'd rather every existing Normal/Flying Pokemon was stripped of its Normal-type, excluding Togetic and Togekiss. But of course, that'll never happen.

Something that i have wanted for so long. but i just dont think its happening, unless pokemon gets really stale and they break all kinds of rules to get attention. but then who cares

i think only a legendary would be pure flying. i still think it should've been called the wind type, since suicune is more related to wind than water, and flying would'nt make sense... should've at least given it levitate in gen 3.

Unless we get some kind of Tornado Pokémon or something made of wind, I don't see a pure flying-type ever happening.

The question is why is Flying even a type at all? It's like making either a Biting, Swimming or Licking-type because just like Flying(wings), they all would obviously be centered around some of the minor body parts they respectively supposed to represent. A Wind-type would've made more sense than Flying, as it's one of the most basic, popular elements present in mythology and RPGs.

But if there is one...and it uses Roost...It becomes ??? type right? Maybe a flying
Eeveelution someday...

Im pretty sure Normal/Flying is technically considered a Pure Flying Type.

If Drifloon and Drifblim didn't get pure Flying type (Or even primary Flying-type), nothing will.

maybe theyll make an eeveelution that the description goes like this
Pokedex description-
it is made of the wind itself. like how its watery counterpart vaporeon can melt away into water, it can disappear into the wind.
physical Description-
it would be like a light faded blue eevee that has no legs but instead has a cloud with wind lines.

Im wondering why we would want a pure flying type. With normal you get immunity to ghost types and normal STAB. The only downside is that fighting is neutral, but is that really a downside?

The only way I believe we will get a pure flying is a pokemon that is a cloud or a tornado of some sort. Swablu is th closest thing but since it has legs and therefore can stand on the ground I understand why it is also normal. I belive if they make a pure flying type it will be like a cloud with some kind of face and no elemental aspect to it like rain or lightning.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom