• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pure-Types vs. Dual-Types

Which do you prefer

• Total voters
I'll go with the flow and say dual-types. However, it depends on the Pokémon as a whole if two types are better or not. For most defensive Pokémon, having a Poison or Steel subtypes helps because of the various resistance they bring, but an offensive Pokémon might prefer something like Fighting or Ground. Some Pokémon are good even without having a subtype (think of Mewtwo, Kyogre or Darkrai. They're legendaries, but still).

Dual-types cover more bases in offense and sometimes defense, so those.

I prefer dual types because there are two types which the pokémon can use STAB for and it allows you to easily have at least one move of every type in a party. I think the disadvantage of dual types is it normally makes the pokémon have more super effective or neutral move types against it.

I'm choosing dual-types, but simply because I like seeing how they designed Pokémon to create the more original combos. Other than that, though, I don't really have any preference. Some dual-types should have been pure, like almost every normal-flying type in existence. Likewise, some pure types probably could have used a second type (looking at you, Samurott and Serperior). Honestly, whether a Pokémon is pure type or dual type does not inherently change their usefulness. It's all about how the types work together with other types, and against other types.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom