• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pure-Types vs. Dual-Types

Which do you prefer

• Total voters

Piemonade

Man of Many Accelgor
Reaction score
The title is self-explanatory.

Which do you prefer?
Pure-Types or Dual-Types

I, myself prefer Dual-Types.

I find it strange that dual-types have more advantages over pure-types. First of all, dual-types have two STABs, which means two types of attacks from them are boosted, giving them more offensive potential. Secondly, they have in general more resistances, which is a good thing because they can resist more attacks. Thirdly, they have more type privileges, which means that they get moves based on the two types they belong to, most of the time. Mono-types do not have all of the advantages, but their only main advantages are less weaknesses overall and no double weaknesses. Mono-types needed a much needed advantage, like more powerful STAB to keep the theme that their attacks are focused on their type.

That's it for now.

How is that strange at all? To say that dual types always have the advantage is a narrow viewpoint. Yes, dual types gain the advantages of both types, but they also gain the disadvantages of gaining both types weaknesses, unless the weakness of one type is the resistance of another, in which case the Pokemon loses a resistance. Having two STABs also does not mean a Pokemon will use both STAB types. It's more appropriate to say that dual types give the potential to be better or worse than monotypes. After all, many people are quick to point out the obscene amount of weaknesses that dual types like Celebi and Abomasnow have.

Your assessment also ignores how many types are better off on their own than being combined with other types. The most obvious I can think of are water types with their usually high defense and lack of weaknesses can be greatly hindered if combined with the wrong type, or the many pseudo-legendary dragons, who, even though gaining an immunity to Earthquake, would probably prefer being a pure dragon. Then there's also the Steel-type, who, outside from getting a generally better STAB typing, could probably go without a dual type that isn't Flying as the majority are played defensively and would have their resistances lowered by a secondary typing.

Really, the idea of dual versus pure typing should be assessed as a case-by-case basis that also takes into account a Pokémon's stats and abilities. Bronzong would probably not be as good as it is if it also didn't have levitate, meaning it had Skarmory's immunity to ground without sacrificing fighting resistance and gets away with not being hit by SE by electric moves. There's also the fact that certain types are better offensively, and certain move types are biased toward physical or special, so depending on the stat spread, a dual STAB, or resistances to other types, may be preferred.

Naturally dual types usually have the adavntage over a pure type. The greatest example of this would be Spiritomb, Sableye and Elektross as they have no known weaknesses (discounting the move gravity for Elektross) due to their dual typing.

However sometimes this can back fire if the pokemon's dual types are both weak to common types. For example Weavile's dual typing states that it has 5 weaknesses and only 3 resistances, but also being immune to Psychic types. However Weavile's speed and raw attack power can assist these weaknesses.

But if we are just talking about typing Weavile is wide open to a number of attacks including a X4 weakness to Fighting types. Another bad dual typing is Grass/Flying types like Jumpluff with the same number of weakness and resistances as Weavile, however X4 weak to the Ice types.

Now if you compare these two dual types with a Haxorus for example that is a pure Dragon type you will see that Haxorus has only 2 weaknesses and 4 resistances. So really over all dual typing is usually better, but not always. On that basis I voted for dual types.

Elektross as they have no known weaknesses (discounting the move gravity for Elektross) due to their dual typing.

Except Eelectros is a mono-type, and owes its immunity to its ability. If it were part flying like Thunderus or Zapdos, it would have rock and ice weaknesses, hence my prior point of analyzing it on a case-by-case basis.

I like Gen V's introduction of many pure types. We got the first two FE Dragons, excluding Arceus.

That said, I don't prefer anything. Some pokemon seem to have their types inherently (either fully or partially), like Zapdos. (It's a bird, and part of a legendary trio, each member therein having an element. [Viewing Zapdos mainly as a bird with the Flying type being a given, the Electric subtype is a "freebie"--there being no dowside to the typing. They typing of Thundurus is better completely than the typing of Tornadus--fringe situations like Gravity being a fringe consideration. Such is kinda why I wish Tornadus had a Dark/Flying or Normal/Flying typing--but oh well.])

Last edited:
Ah well, I wasn't detailed enough, so I got an opposed...

Anyway, yeah, dual-types are not all that fantastic, but they usually are. For example, Normal/Ghost is better than both pure Normal and pure Ghost because it has more resistances than either one of them, and less weaknesses than Ghost. As attacking types, both are not bad, so the Pokemon can choose to go with one of the STABs if it chooses to (usually not both, though). Also, another example is Grass/Poison. Grass offers a Ground resistance that helps Poison, and Poison relieves Grass of two weaknesses, so as a whole, the combination is great because the resistances are pretty good, despite some weaknesses. Ice/Rock has a lot of weaknesses, but at least they have fantastic STAB, so if it's an offensive Pokemon with high Attack and Speed, then yes, the dual-type comes in handy.

Of course, sometimes stats can play a part of this, but usually an offensive Pokemon prefers two STABs, like Infernape and Kingdra, because they provide more offensive power. Defensive Pokemon prefers the unique resistances like Skarmory and Ferrothorn that can only be afforded by being a dual-type.

However, when comparing certain Pokemon like Pinsir & Heracross, it seems that the dual-type counterpart will be destined to be the more useful one. Their stats are not exactly the same, true, but they are similar that they can perform. In the end, Heracross is the more useful one because it has a dual-type.

I like it when a pure type Pokemon has a good movepool because I feel that they got some attention. Dual-types usually have more movepool privileges, like Jellicent: has the moves that Water-types and Ghost-types usually learn. There are some pure types that stands out, like Pinsir, who despite being a Bug-type, learns moves that Fighting-types usually learn like Close Combat and Stone Edge. Tangrowth is another example, because unlike most Grass-types, it has a large and great movepool that consists of good offensive and support moves.

That's it for now.

Except Eelectros is a mono-type, and owes its immunity to its ability. If it were part flying like Thunderus or Zapdos, it would have rock and ice weaknesses, hence my prior point of analyzing it on a case-by-case basis.

Lol I forgot about that one thanks for pointing that out :3

I prefer dual-types. More coverage, more variety, more interesting strategies. Pure-types are a bit... not quite that versatile.

I like a mix of both. D8 Though dual-types tend to be more interesting. Like Rotom or Empoleon.

I like a mixture. I don't clearly prefer either and sometimes I find duals a hindrance. Other times, they're a big boost. What I will say is that with the right people training them, dual types have a lot of potential. The wrong choice leaves you open to serious ass-kicking, though. It just depends on so much. I usually go towards dual type if there isn't a Pokemon with the first type I want that can learn the moves I want, but it's not my first choice. I just go for balance either way. It depends how you train and what you personally want - I prefer to keep types down but movepools up so I can cover a type without having the weaknesses with it, which works well enough with how much appearance plays a part in my team building. Dual types (much like a varied movepool) are handy for replacing 'mon of types I wouldn't likely have otherwise, too - like Ghost, Dark or Fighting. Gives me a chance to cover a base I want to cover but don't want a dedicated Pokemon for.

Dual types because they have 2 STABs and instead of just one and most I just like most dual type pokmeon better then pure types.

I don't prefer a Pokémon based on it being dual-typed or single-typed. I chose my Pokémon based on the Pokémon as a whole. If I Nidoqueen over Muk or Registeel over Steelix that is not based of them being single or double typed. What I care about is if the Pokémon do what I want/need it to do.

I prefer Dual types, and making sure I have the right coverage. For example; if I have a pokemon that's Grass/Dark with a double weakness to bug, I'd get a pokemon that has a double resistance (Fire/Flying) to cover it.

Dual types. You get more bang for your buck overall with them. Also, Its easier to cover all your bases when you are limited to a team of six. I do however, use pure-types in my team. Most of the time this is with the types I like the most/ use the most often.

Difinatly dual type, gives you more likelyhood of having a super erffective move against another type as well as usually have larger move pools. My current team is 4 dual and 2 mono types.

Just like everyone else, I'm going to have to pick dual-types, just because I like the flexibility, even though they're not ultimately stronger, due to the extra weaknesses brought in.

I don't know. I'm going to have to disagree with everyone and say Pure types. Not because of STAB, battling performance or typing, but more because they're sometimes seen as the underdog.

Does anyone remember in Pokemon Special Manga when the Ground/Rock Rhydon was terrorising the Rock Sudowoodo and then broke Whitneys arm. Then in the end Sudowoodo prevails over him? I just kinda view pure types like Sudowoodo and Sunflora as underdogs in the Pokemon world.

Maybe it's just because there's a lot of Gen II Pure types and I love Johto Pokemon :p

(P.S. As of now I'm the only person who's voted for Pure Types)

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom