• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Contest Purrloin vs. Poochyena

Catspring

shsl music club member
Reaction score
261.png
vs.
509.png

I've decided to pit these two Pokemon against each other because they have many similarities and differences.

1. Both can be captured early on in the game.
  2. Both are Dark-type.
  3. Both have one evolution.
  4. One is a feline and one is a canine.

So, in your opinion, which one is better?

• Which one do you prefer?
  • Which one is more useful?
  • Which one would win in a battle?
  • Which one has the better design?

Which one do you prefer?
Poochyena all the way.

Which one is more useful?
Purrloin has some nice support moves, but Mightyena has Intimidate. Hard to tell here, so I'm calling it a draw (they both suck in battle though.)

Which one would win in a battle?
Again, hard to tell, though based on their movepools alone, I'm inclined to go with Liepard since it gets the super effective U-Turn in BW2.

Which one has the better design?
Poochyena by a long shot.

I vote Poochyena, though I don't especially like either of them.

~Which do you prefer? Poochyena/Mightyena all the way <3
~Which one is more useful? Liepard gets Prankster for its DW Ability, and it's honestly more useful than Mightyena.
~Which would win in a battle? Depends. Mightyena's Intimidate gives it an advantage, but Liepard's Prankster gives it a different advantage. :eek:
~Which one has the better design? Poochyena is the cutest, and Mightyena is awesome. :b

I'll choose Poochyena. It is cute and Mightyena is awesome.
For Purrloin, its OK with its design, but the design for Liepard is not satisfying.
I can see Purrloin getting U-turn and good speed allowing it to be a good phazer. Or even a Prankster Assist set (I invented this set when I first see it, I tested that set with a friend in PO Smogon server with Victini and Terrakion on the same team, V-Create actually murders in priority, althought it depends on luck :p) may make surprise table-turning in game (Maybe a priority Close Combat it get from Terrakion and KO a Shell Smashed Cloyster)
Still... I vote Poochyena just because I like its design more.

Last edited:
Which one do you prefer? Purrloin.
Which one is more useful? Purrloin o.o
Which one would win in a battle? Dunno, Poochyena has intimidate, though Purrloin has overall better stats, and neither will defeat the other fast.
Which one has the better design? Purrloin, though Liepard's normal sprite is ugly.

Purrloin. I've never liked Poochyena, it's much too weak, even for an early route Pokemon, especially compared to Tailow and Zigzagoon. At least Purrloin has high speed and a couple of sneaky moves that go well with the typical deceptive nature of cats and Dark-types.

Seeing as I don't like cats and I love dogs/canines and Poochyena happens to be one of the few gen 3 Pokemon I like, my vote is Poochyena.

Liepard is kind of cool though.

Ahh, I absolutely adore both Purrloin and Poochyena, so it's really hard for me to decide ;A; But I guess Poochyena, because adorable little puppies > adorable little kittens.

Poochyena has always appealed to me a lot more than Purrloin for some reason. I haven't found much use for either of them in battle, to be honest, so I'm going for a purely design-wise perspective.

Poochyena for me. I just never warmed up to Purlion much and I like Mightyena's appearance.

One is a feline and one is a canine.
It's Nitpick Time! Hyenas aren't actually canines, the family Hynenidae falls under the suborder Feliformia which contains the felines. Which means they're more closely related to cats than dogs!

As for my favourite I prefer Purrloin, the design just oozes attitude and it has a ton of fun options to play around with.

Which one do you prefer? Purrlion of the two of them, but when they evolve, I think Mightyena looks better than Liepard (but I wouldn't call Liepard ugly). *shrug*

Which one is more useful? Purrlion, or rather, it is more useful when it evolves because it has better speed and you could make it concentrate on special attack and, more specifically, support moves (using its prankster ability). I mean, yeah, Mightyena has Intimidate, but I can think of more uses for the Purrlion line.

Which one would win in a battle? Purrlion/Liepard eventually as long as the player knows how to play their cards correctly. Uturn is a very good move for this Pokemon.

Which one has the better design? Purrlion, but I love purple and kittens. ;P

Purrloin all the way. It's cute and has an awesome design, and just looks so much more cooler than Poochyena.

One is a feline and one is a canine.
It's Nitpick Time! Hyenas aren't actually canines, the family Hynenidae falls under the suborder Feliformia which contains the felines. Which means they're more closely related to cats than dogs!

They aren't 100% hyena - I see a little wolf in there for sure - and "pooch" means dog. So I think it's pretty safe to assume they're canines, although they might have a little feline in them.

Poochyena, as I actually like Mightyena, and Purrloin's 3D model looks dumb.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom