• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Purugly a hidden Gem?

Poketech

Reaction score
I noticed no one ever use's Purugly, this drew me to there train one and to see what it is capable of and the results were very suprised. I have trained it to level 50 (the level at which me and my friends battle at in school). I tested out purugly on my brother as my lead. It knows Fake Out, U-turn, Body slam and swagger Holidng a Silk scarf, With adamant nature. Here were the results - Brother sends out electrive. GO! Purugly. (hears my brother laughing across the room). Turn 1 - Fake out! Electrive flinch. Turn 2 - Body slam. Electrive fainted.
This makes me believe its a good Poke'mon and i think its not used enough if not at all.

Well maybe. I've always had problems with Fake Out, but a quick Fighting type can take it out easily. Exactly how I took care of Mars.

Now the fact that it defeated an Electivire surprised me, but since one Body Slam could take it out, it mustve been poorly trained. Where-as your must've been well trained.

I geuss it won't be used when you have better Pokemon that do the same job such as ambipom which can be breed for fake out and u-turn. But i like it amd it gets a massive damage boost because it gains the stab + Silk scarf boost on body slam so its amazing! XD

Beating one Pokemon with weak defenses do not make for a hidden gem. Though you would catch people off guard simply because of its scarcity, but then I doubt it does nearly aswell against most other leads.

Try using it more in competitive battling then tell us the results.

How can you say that? Im sick of people on these forums slating new ideas to make UU Poke'mon used abit more often. How can you sit there and say that! The Electrive i killed was 5 levels higher (brother plays diffrent rules). Just because its not OU any new idea to make a UU Poke'mon used a little abit more and you slate it. You try coming up with your own stragey instead of copying marriland or whoever. I have got many battle stragys i made myself and if someone else has done it fair play but i never checked to see if it was done. One of them is a double battle having A shuckle/ Drapion with accupressure and then setting up the other Pokemon! I'm sick of "Its UU so its not good". Its good it can destory leads like smeargle and does ambipom's jobjust aswell.

How can you say that?
How, because statistically, Electivire has shit defense, Purugly has good attack. Statistically, it can kill it when maneuvered properly. When maneuvered properly I had an Abomasnow switch in on a Heatran and kill it. Am I going around saying that Abomasnow can be a Heatran counter based one one experience?

Oh and jee, thanks for your shitty attitude when all I asked for was more empirical evidence other than one single battle and completely assuming that I don't try to think up my own battle strategies.

Btw, most people like you who think they are so original just wind up with redundancy, or using the same set of an OU Pokemon on a UU.

Take a fucking chill pill and understand what fucking constructive criticism is. Fake Out + Body Slam would work on very few leads, infact, the only other possibility is Weavile.

I didn't go and outright say it was fucking useless. I ASKED FOR MORE EXAMPLES TO MAKE YOUR CLAIM VALID.

You know what really sucks about this forum, people like you who posts their magnificent ideas and get the slightest bit of critcism, then going out fucking flaming them no matter how fucking civil they were on their original post (fully expects some lame comment disregarding the content of this post with some sarcastc response to me losing my cool).

Last edited:
I recently made an Ambipom with the Fake Out + Last Resort set, and threw it out as my lead in the battle tower just to see how it would work out. It wreaks havoc on every pokemon that isn't rock, steel, ghost or has inner focus (damn you Dragonite..).

It has been said before, but Ambipom (who is also UU) does this job, but much better with a base speed of 115 and a base attack of 100, verses Purugly's base 112 speed and 82 attack.

There are a number of Pokémon that do this better. Here's a good example of what can happen with Purugly:

:D sent out Purugly!
D: sent out Infernape!
Purugly used Fake Out! Infernape flinched!
(next turn)
Infernape used Close Combat! Purugly fainted!

I personally think that, although Purugly can be decent, it's not an overlooked gem. There are just better choices. Maybe in the lower tiers, this can be pulled off, but... meh.

There are a number of Pokémon that do this better. Here's a good example of what can happen with Purugly:

:D sent out Purugly!
D: sent out Infernape!
Purugly used Fake Out! Infernape flinched!
(next turn)
Infernape used Close Combat! Purugly fainted!

I personally think that, although Purugly can be decent, it's not an overlooked gem. There are just better choices. Maybe in the lower tiers, this can be pulled off, but... meh.

Purugly is faster than infernape lol
so purugly may win that one :p maybe.....

I was thinking of training a Purugly, but I'm not really sure how good they'll be/whether to devote my time too training it, seeing as how I have ProjectPINKTANK and ProjectZUN being trained (I'm not telling anyone on here what Pokémon they are, in case I ever battle anyone >:3).

Purugly is faster than infernape lol
so purugly may win that one :p maybe.....

Unless it had a focus sash it would not really survive a close combat infernape, its defence is not up to much and even trained right with body slam, I don't think it could KO a infernape, but then again idk.

Poketch, one battle against a guy whom I'm guessing doesn't play competitively doesn't make for a hidden gem. For casual players, even Magikarp could be good. So it doesn't matter. For competitive, it's a different story. I'm glad that you knocked out an Electivire, but frankly, even with the five levels, it might have been just the fact you got lucky.

Statistically, a lot of pokemon have better base stats that Purugly's 452. Even Girafarig is higher up.

It's good that you're trying different pokemon and enjoying it. Variety is part of what makes the series so great to begin with. There are pokemon with better stats, yes, but lots of different pokemon can be winners under the right circumstances.

Yeah, I will tend to agree with the general opinion here. The Electivive wasn't EVed. An Electrivive with no defense EV training is just really weak against physical attacks. It's why i can never send mine out against fighting pokemon... let alone rock, ground, and probably a couple other types too. I leveled up my Persian to level 50+ back in fire red because it knew cut and I liked its decent attack rating. EV training pokemon does change a lot of things. You can try doing that with the Perugly in a stat or two and then it will really be a gem : ). The problem with that is that it's a little hard, though. EV training in general, I mean.

Normal pokemon are very strong. When playing around in the battle tower, my Furret could one-shot a bunch of pokemon with Return. Most times it took 2-shots. But that's against the computer, and the computer is stupid :)...

Unless it had a focus sash it would not really survive a close combat infernape, its defence is not up to much and even trained right with body slam, I don't think it could KO a infernape, but then again idk.

There's no way he would survive close combat, but Infernrape would never be able to pull it off because it has a lower base speed then Purugly. Fake out is free damage with Stab and Silk Scarf, and Body Slam also get Stab and Silk Scarf boosts. Obviously return would be better, but whatever. Infernape has a base 71 defense that probably isn't going to be EV'd, and Purugly has a base 82 attack that probably is going to be 252 EV'd. I'm not really sure how to do the calculations, but it looks like Purugly is going to have a pretty good chance on this one, assuming Infernrape doesn't have Mach Punch.

You're retarded, after reading your first post I shouldn't have to go into detail, people have summed it up nicely already.

But for the record, you're calling it a "hidden gem" and acting like you discovered it or something. We fucking realize it's there and we are fully aware it sucks, that's why we don't use it. You don't know anything we don't.

You should be shot for using Silf Scarf and then calling it an amazing combo for pairing it with a non-amazing base power stab move.

Jesus christ I'm not even going to continue.

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom