• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

PUSA: GS remakes "very unlikely"

That reminds me of the speculation on Bulbacast about all the Pokéballs in the anime Pewter Gym. It's possible that they change their Pokémon depending on the strength of their opponent.

That, and Brock must have improved in three years. Now, Lance was messed up.
Johto itself was shrunk down from what it was originally intended to be (With the Lake of Rage and the 7th Gym being mere shadows of their original selfs)
And we know their original design from where...?

On other sites, there are beta maps of most of the cities which are pulled from the ROMs of Gold and Silver, which show what the original designs of the cities in GSC were going to be. It's shown that Lake of Rage was supposed to have its own city and gym, with Azalea Town not having a gym.

However, I'd be more inclined to believe that this was a design/story change, rather than a lack of space change. It wouldn't have taken that much more storage to put the city there if they really wanted it. It would have been nothing to put the buildings in, there's already two of the buildings up there, the gym is already in the game (Azalea), and that only leaves three or four additional buildings.

- Trip

I do agree, as I stated before, that both the regions got shafted. They both need to be longer and have more of a purpose, especially Johto. I think the idea of the remake would be to make Kanto "that place to the right of Johto", opposite of what Doctor Oak said. Overall, I think if the games were made to their full potential, both of the regions can be appreciated for what they have to offer, especially Johto.

A huge region like Shinou
I was typing a lengthy explanation as to what makes this claim unfounded, when suddenly my computer rebooted itself. I suppose it was fate, as it led me to understand how disproportionate it was to respond to a statement that was not even phrased as a sentence. In order to make any sort of point I had to infer what exactly you meant in the first place.

What is it that makes Sinnoh as "huge" as you so confidently proclaim? In fact, how is the region vaster than Hoenn, or Kanto and Sevii Islands combined? Evidently, you acknowledge that Johto and Kanto combined is the largest area covered in a game yet, but it is not even necessary to go that far to put your assertion into doubt. I should have you know in advance that comparing Hokkaido to Kyushu would be a flawed argument, for Sinnoh covers just about 70% of what would be, or rather is, the full Hokkaido island of the Pokémon world. Sinnoh is significantly cut from the south and south-west.

I can go on, but I need some sort of confirmation that you are aware of what your post implies.

A whole new region over a small region (smaller then it should of been) with a older region rehashed on it, yes.

I do indeed know that which I speak of, Mr. Lord.

Shinnoh looks to be about 20% bigger than Hoenn. Not insanely gigantic, but by far the biggest region seen in the games so far, excluding the combination of Johto/Kanto.

That reminds me of the speculation on Bulbacast about all the Pokéballs in the anime Pewter Gym. It's possible that they change their Pokémon depending on the strength of their opponent.

I always assumed that was the case: That all Gym Leaders for the most part, had a fairly large collection of Pokemon for themselves that they swapped out to match the strength of a challenger. Consider a Leader with only 1-3 Pokemon challenging legions of trainers to 3 on 3 matches. Eventually, his 3 little Pokemon would get so powerful that there'd be no way a simple trainer trying to get into the league could defeat them.

I do indeed know that which I speak of, Mr. Lord.
Quite frankly dear, you are not filling me with confidence on this one.

Your attempt at comparing Sinnoh and Johto was almost too random. Everyone was discussing the point of having Kanto in the original games, and implicitly in the potential remakes; you, for some reason, felt the need to bring Sinnoh into the equation. I have nothing against your opinion regarding Johto's limited size as a result of being intertwined with Kanto, but I am bothered by the suggestion that Sinnoh is a "new region done right, finally". Again, how is it different than Hoenn? How is it different than Kanto, which is now on-par with Hoenn owing to Sevii Islands?

Perhaps your point is that it is fortunate that Sinnoh did not end up being to Hoenn what Johto was to Kanto?

Shinnoh looks to be about 20% bigger than Hoenn. Not insanely gigantic, but by far the biggest region seen in the games so far, excluding the combination of Johto/Kanto.
That observation boils down to the "feel" the official map and extended routes manage to give. Route lengths are extended in Diamond and Pearl with the aid of optical illusions in the form of limbs; one may presume that the GBA was limited in this sense. The fact of the matter is that Sinnoh has 16 important locations (towns, cities, Pokémon League and Battle Tower) and 30 routes, compared to Hoenn's 17 important locations and 34 routes (of which admittedly many are sea routes).

I could get into Kanto and Sevii Islands, but I sense a great deal of hostility that would probably lead most readers to view Kanto as independent and thus smaller.

Last edited:
Apparently, if one detects bias on another's part, one becomes subject to the same treatment. I wish I could say this was a logical order of events.

The fact of the matter is that Sinnoh has 16 important locations (towns, cities, Pokémon League and Battle Tower) and 30 routes, compared to Hoenn's 17 important locations and 34 routes (of which admittedly many are sea routes).

Number of routes and locations is not the same as the actual space those locations take up.

If one were to say, exclude areas of water from the equation, we have Shinnoh being significantly larger than Hoenn. With water routes though, they're about the same size.

Again, it is a question of the handheld system rather than the game's design. Don't you find it odd to be speaking of "actual space" in terms of the handheld games? If Ruby and Sapphire were to be remade for the Nintendo DS (in no way do I think they should), would Hoenn not appear vaster? This calls for an interesting research on FireRed and LeafGreen's overworld map.

I do agree that Sinnoh has a reasonable size advantage on Hoenn once the sea routes are taken out, but with Sootopolis City and Pacifidlog City in mind, the eastern routes are far from comparable to the other regions' sea routes.

If to clarify, assuming Gold and Silver remakes are on the agenda, of which I have little doubt, Sinnoh's failure to encompass Hokkaido will become apparent. I want the DS games to be parallel following the example of the GBA games, which includes the number of locations to explore (again, Sevii Islands brought Kanto to Hoenn's level). Rather than omitting Kanto from the Gold and Silver remakes, I seriously believe that even Sevii Islands should be added to the picture. If that were to happen, the third game to Diamond and Pearl would have to include its own amendments.

That's what I'm saying. If they make a GS Remake, then make Kanto and Johto both their own regions in there respective rights.

Honestly, Kanto in GS took away the Safari Zone, Viridian Forest, and Cinnabar.....

If that were to happen, the third game to Diamond and Pearl would have to include its own amendments.

Considering the popularity of the Battle Frontier, I would not be surprised if a similar fascility is added for Opal or whatever.

Oooooh! Yeah, a new Battle Frontier would rock.

Also, I wanna have that Train in the early previews appear. Perhaps it could take you too the Frontier?

Considering the popularity of the Battle Frontier, I would not be surprised if a similar fascility is added for Opal or whatever.
That is far from enough. A Sinnoh Battle Frontier would undoubtedly expand on the existent Battle Tower.

Let's put it this way: before Emerald was released many had speculated that the Battle Frontier would be positioned on one of the unused islands seen on Hoenn's map. There were several such islands, so it was thought that the Battle Frontier would be accompanied by a small group of islands all bringing something new to Hoenn. In the end, the Battle Frontier turned out an extension of the Battle Tower, and after some thought, no one complained about the lost potential in the still-unused islands. After all, it was Kanto that had to reach Hoenn's vastness, not the other way around.

This time, it would be Sinnoh that would have to be expanded no matter how the Gold and Silver remakes turned out. To that end, the remaining 30% portion of Hokkaido is at Game Freak's disposal.

Yeah....but....I don't really see how them not using all of a real world location really affects the game anyway.

I mean, isn't the point of games too have fun? A new Battle Frontier would be fun, even if it's on the Island were the Battle Tower was.

I mean, isn't the point of games too have fun? A new Battle Frontier would be fun, even if it's on the Island were the Battle Tower was.
I am in favor of bringing back the Battle Frontier, once again as a Battle Tower extension. But as far as settling for fun gameplay, even though more can be done, I would simply like to think that Game Freak has more in mind than simple-minded entertainment, which I have had no problem believing until now.

For the record, creating the Battle Frontier for Emerald was not simple-minded entertainment in my book. Removing it from Diamond and Pearl only to allow the third game to rely on the same factor of success as the previous third game, however, would be precisely that.

Well, it's a game aimed for everyone. It never seemed too be more then a form of entertainment. I think you've been taking it too seriously dude, you need too lighten up some. Smell the flowers, let the wind blow through your hair, and enjoy it for what it is.

I mean, life isn't all research and theorems. You gotta get your game on sometimes.

Heheh, getting kinda profounded. XD

Please note: The thread is from 17 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom