• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Query re: Colosseum / Box & DS Lite

semiartificial

Reaction score
Ok, my first post so go easy please! I'm not very clued up about this stuff!

I have a Gamecube and Pokemon Colosseum, the version that also includes Pokemon Box. The latter seems to be some sort of 'organiser' for Pokemon Ruby / Sapphire but I'm not entirely sure what it does!

I don't have a GBA, but my wife bought a DS Lite at Christmas.

Ruby / Sapphire seem to be relatively cheap now on eBay, so I was considering buying one, but have some questions:

1. What exactly does Box do?

2. Is one of the GBA games 'better' than the other?, or doesn't it really matter (as per Red/Blue etc)?

3. Can I connect the DS to the Gamecube to do the same things as the GBA? If so, what cable will I need (does a "Gamecube link cable" still connect and work with a DS?)

I live in UK if that makes a difference.

Thanks.

Last edited:
1. Box is used to store pokemon.

2. It depends on who you ask. Most will probably tell you Emerald because of Battle Frontier.

3. No. Where would you hook up the DS? The charger slot?

1. What exactly does Box do?

Exactly as you said, it organises your Pokemon - it is literally just a large Pokemon Storage System like in the games, it holds up to 1500 Pokemon, and gives you certain bonus Pokemon eggs (Pokemon with extra moves) for each milestone. This page has all the info you'll need listed: http://www.pokecharms.com/games/gamecube/box/

2. Is one of the GBA games 'better' than the other?, or doesn't it really matter (as per Red/Blue etc)?

It depends on which Pokemon you like more, Ruby has Groudon and Latios while Sapphire has Kyogre and Latias as well as other exclusives between them. There is also Emerald, the third game to the R/S trio like Yellow was to R/B, which features the new Battle Frontier, and both Kyogre and Groudon and would generally be considered the best Hoenn game. There's also FireRed and LeafGreen, which are remakes of Red and Green (Red and Blue basically), with an extra set of islands tagged on to explore after beating the Elite 4.

All are compatable with eachother and all are compatable with Colosseum, XD and Box (and all can be used with Diamond/Pearl too) but...

3. Can I connect the DS to the Gamecube to do the same things as the GBA? If so, what cable will I need (does a "Gamecube link cable" still connect and work with a DS?)

The DS cannot connect to the Gamecube at all, it also cannot connect to a GBA nor can it emulate the connection between two GBA games in another DS. Basically, if you want to trade/battle/communicate in any way with another game you need to get a GBA/SP. I don't think the Micro works with the Cube link cable - i'm not even entirely sure it can link up to anything at all.

Hope that was in some way helpful.

Very helpful. I'll check out Emerald, and forget about the cable. I'd heard of it but haven't seen one and didn't know what connections it had. Many Thanks.

The DS cannot connect to the Gamecube at all, it also cannot connect to a GBA nor can it emulate the connection between two GBA games in another DS. Basically, if you want to trade/battle/communicate in any way with another game you need to get a GBA/SP. I don't think the Micro works with the Cube link cable - i'm not even entirely sure it can link up to anything at all.
Yeah the Micro doesn't hook up with anything, the only slot thing it has is for its charger, and that's different than the SP/DS ones anyway.

Please note: The thread is from 17 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom