• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Question about May and Max's house

Jo-Jo

Reaction score
Just a quick bit of research - do May and family live at the Petalburg gym, or do they have a house somewhere else? And can anyone tell me approximately the layout of the house/gym? I don't have any of the Petalburg episodes, unfortunately. Thanks. :)

From what I understand, they live in a house and not the gym. I think its all in roughly the same area, with the gym and house being relatively close by and a greenhouse where they keep their Pokemon somewhere out back.

I actually think the gym and their house might in the same building, but obviously separated to keep trainers out of their living area. When Ash was in the arena in "There's No Place Like Hoenn," Max came from the hallway and one can assume he came from his room since he was watching his Johto League videos. Plus, when May and Max return home in "Love, Petalburg Style," the entrance is the same way Ash entered when he was just going to the gym. Their home is a large, somewhat traditional Japanese house, and the gym and other rooms are decorated similarly so that's why I'm under the assumption it's all in the same building. We've only seen Norman's/Caroline's room and May's. Here's some random pictures.

For some reason, it really REALLY bothers me that the lampshade in Caroline's room is crooked.

D:

Gee, I wonder what she and Norman have been up to now that they had the kids out of the house...

I've always thought that Petalburg Gym had a similar layout as Pewter Gym; with the gym separate from the house, but I might be wrong.

Thanks everyone for the help. ^_^

I recall there being a large, square, unfurnished room immediately inside the front entrance. Was that the battle arena?

If so, and the house is part of the gym, then the gym must be at the front of the house and the living area towards the back. Are the greenhouses round the back, too?

Its probably best to just guess since we know the writers barely showed off their house in detail. You could probably look at the episode pics on Serebii for the Petalburg Gym episodes and make your way from there. There's not much shown though, so you'll have to fill in the blanks best you can. I imagine the greenhouse is behind the house... *shrugs*

Gee, I wonder what she and Norman have been up to now that they had the kids out of the house...

Heh, no wonder Caroline wanted Max to go with Ash/May too. Send the kids off with a total stranger and they have the house all to themselves. :D

Norman must enjoy the alone time with his wife, although Max is back home now.

^ lol.

I want to see Norman and Caroline's torture chamber. :D

I just thought of another random question, since it didn't seem worth making a separate thread: how does Kenny talk to May and Max? Does he treat them like peers, or does he call May "Miss" or anything? He does work for Norman and Caroline, IIR... and come to think of it, how much information does the anime even give us on that? Is he related to the family, or is it more like a Tracey deal?

Kenny is Norman's assistant and the referee for the Gym matches.

May just calls him Kenny and he just calls them by their first names.

Last edited:
Cheers. :)

He did seem to be quite close to the family, moreso than a normal referee. Maybe he's just worked there for a really long time. He was sweeping the steps when we first met him - is he the family's housekeeper as well as Norman's assistant?

He does seem to do chores around the house.
I think he's just hired by Norman to keep the Gym in good shape and to referee when challengers come along. Nothing in the dub at least indicated he's related to the family or anything.

When Kenny was breaking the news to May that Caroline thought Norman was cheating on her, he seemed to be upset for the children, so he does seem to know them well.

Please note: The thread is from 17 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom