• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Question About Pokemon Ranking in Online Competitions

sc190191

more afraid of you
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone understands how the global link ranks Pokemon usage for online competition, because it doesn't make sense to me. I love to look at the stats and see the spread of move sets, abilities, held items, etc., but a few times it has caught my attention that it may be wrong, and after looking at the Flash Clash results I can confirm that it ignored my team entirely. I thought this may be the case in the past, and I assumed it was because I did poorly in the competition, but this competition I did reasonably well (32-28) and yet I can confirm that my move sets were ignored.

I noticed this first with Leafeon, which was listed as having swords dance and aerial ace at 100%, which mine did not have, as well as holding a miracle seed at 100%, which mine did not hold. It also was listed as not defeating any opponents in the competition, which I believe I won twice with mine. I then thought maybe because I didn't battle much with my Leafeon that maybe this is why it was ignored, so I went to Latias, which I got most of my wins with, and noticed that they didn't list any as holding an assault vest (which mine held) or having the move shadow ball or dragon breath (which i chose for the paralysis chance instead of pulse).

Anyway, as lame as it may seem, I really like looking at stats and would like for my Pokemon to be included in the post tournament stats. I wonder if anyone knows why mine might have been ignored, or if the stats only include a certain group (such as top 100 or something)? I always agree to have my battle videos transferred, so if it is a privacy setting, I don't think I have any turned on. Let me know if you have any ideas why this happens. Thanks.

I don't know what these stats look like because i've never seen them myself, but you mentioned the display is in percentages - in that case, they probably simply round up. If everybody is using a set except for one guy, the stats will end up being like 99.something and .0something so it's far easier to just display 100%. No offense but Dragonbreath, Shadow Ball, and Assault Vest are all far from optimal on Latias so it's extremely likely that only yourself and maybe one or two others were using those, whereas the vast majority of users likely were running Life Orb with Draco Meteor/Dragon Pulse + Psyshock + Hp Fire/Fighting + Defog/Roost/Healing Wish (assuming this meta was at all similar to Smogon OU, which may not be true so correct me if i'm wrong).

If the display was like:

Number of Latias running Life Orb: 9,263
Number of Latias running AV: 0

Then I would agree that they blatantly ignored you. But if the display is something along the lines of:

Items held by Latias: Life Orb 80%, Leftovers 15%, Colbur Berry 5%

then it probably simply is a rounding algorithm that excludes outliers (such as Assault vest: .0032% or whatever) from being included.

Do note that i made all those numbers up off the top of my head, I have no idea how many people even participated, let alone percentages and stuff xD

So something like 4,000 people participated, but the one for Leafeon was pretty obviously only listing one Leafeon, because they only showed 4 moves, all at 100%, 1 item (miracle seed, which isn't optimal), one nature, one ability, only five Pokemon it was found in the battle box with, etc. It is pretty obvious they are only listing one.

Pokémon Global Link Online Competition-ポケモングローバルリンク インターネット大会

The results can be found on that link, then you click on "Choose a Pokemon" and select which one you are interested in to see the spread.

Also this was a 1 v 1 tournament, so the ideal move set is a bit different than usual, but my question is more about in general how they select which Pokemon are included in the data.

So something like 4,000 people participated, but the one for Leafeon was pretty obviously only listing one Leafeon, because they only showed 4 moves, all at 100%, 1 item (miracle seed, which isn't optimal), one nature, one ability, only five Pokemon it was found in the battle box with, etc. It is pretty obvious they are only listing one.

Pokémon Global Link Online Competition-ポケモングローバルリンク インターネット大会

The results can be found on that link, then you click on "Choose a Pokemon" and select which one you are interested in to see the spread.

Also this was a 1 v 1 tournament, so the ideal move set is a bit different than usual, but my question is more about in general how they select which Pokemon are included in the data.

That is pretty clearly based on just a single leafeon, u right. idk what's up then - probably just top 100 or 500 or 1000 or something

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom