• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Question for Gen 6-8 How to Grind for Money

reynard

Reaction score
Hey, everybody. Very long time no log in. I recently decided to get a Switch Lite and finally try a Pokemon game (anime fan here). Thinking of getting older games as well as upcoming Gen 9. But the point is, one of my biggest concerns with playing Pokemon games is in-game money. The primary source of money in Pokemon games is battling trainers, of which there is, admittedly large, but still finite amount. And while it is possible to double it with the Amulet Coin, that still doesn't factor in WHEN you can get the coin, and also means you have to make sure the coin carrying Pokemon STAYS ALIVE.

My biggest worry is running low on money for items. Healing items, which I would like to stock up on, or Pokeballs. If I play the games, I want to try to be able to catch all available Pokemon, and there is such a thing as bad luck where the Pokemon refuses to get in the ball, wasting Pokeballs.

I read something somewhere about methods for grinding for money post-finishing the game. That's...not all that helpful. Anybody know any way to build even a little bit of money pre-finishing the game? Fairly consistent sources of items I could sell, even for a little bit of extra money?

I don't ever remember myself having trouble with money in the Pokémon games. Sure, since the customizations are a thing, I always try to spare some amount for them, but for example in XY games, they were so expensive so I barely touched my appearance in those games. Other than that, as long as you don't skip any battles and carry an Amulet Coin on the first partner of your team, you won't have problems with the money. Besides there are items to be found overworld which are only meant to be sold to PokéMarts. You may as well sell the items you won't use to make extra money, which will carry you on more than enough. In addition to all, in XY and OR/AS games, there is even O-Power which will make you earn a crazy amount of money in short time. In the post-game, you can just spam the Elite 4 to make infinite amount of money.

Me, I'd be interested in the customization, but post-game is a long time to wait, and I want to catch all Pokemon. Still, as far as XY, O-Power should work. I'm playing Y on an emulator (or rather, I have to), but O-Power seems like it can function without internet. That makes me feel a bit better, I guess.

To that I'll add a couple other things I've found in XY that help a little bit for first-time players like me:

1. Having a Pokemon with the ability Pickup (this doesn't give much by way of items, but if you spend a while grinding certain Pokemon, having a Pickup Pokemon in your party is a good idea. I've gotten a few free Great Balls and even an Ultra Ball before I could even buy those.

2. There is a hotel in Lumiose City that will pay you for doing jobs. Once a day. Haven't tried it yet, but it's free money, so, why not try it?

you have to make sure the coin carrying Pokemon STAYS ALIVE
Thankfully, no you don’t. Just send it in first and you’re good!

There is a hotel in Lumiose City that will pay you for doing jobs.
This is your best bet. You start earning more money after working there enough times, and once you max out all the jobs, you’ll be STUPID rich.

Welll if your playing gen 8 I would say to do max raid dens and with getting watts you can find this fishing girl, she can give you good items to sell with only giving up 100 watts. Also I would say that in the 4th gym area there are the 2 men who stand by each other. One guy wants something from you like an item (big mushroom, big pearl, pearl string) for almost double the price. So once you give it to him you will get some good cash.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom