• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Question regarding quality of DVDs

XD375

Shane
Reaction score
When reading Dogasu's Kanto comparisons, the English versions always seem to glow and show more colour than the original Japanese shots.

Is this a result of the DVD or was the dub always that way? I don't remember it glowing that much...

festivalj_small.jpg

festivale_small.jpg

There's been a lot of DVD threads lately...

To answer your question...it's the DVDs. The Kanto DVD box sets are a good value (you end up paying about a buck an episode), but the trade-off is that you get absolutely horrible video quality. Every conceivable problem you could have in a DVD transfer - bleeding colors, oversaturated colors (particularly reds), ghosting, artifacting - are present in these releases.

(Also, it needs to be said that those shots of the Japanese version are taken from .avi files made from TV broadcasts. A better comparison would be between a (non-existent) Region 2 DVD release and a Region 1 DVD release)

Yet the Pokemon fandom, which, as others have pointed out, love to complain about everything, doesn't really seem to care.

Yet the Pokemon fandom, which, as others have pointed out, love to complain about everything, doesn't really seem to care.

Honestly, for me, it ads to its charm.

For most, though, I think it is because they realize there is no use in complaining. These DVD sets of the early seasons were shoveled out because it had been around ten years since those episodes debuted. For most fans of the original series, they were entering mid-teens - early-twenties during this time, and that is -- generally -- where one's first real sense of nostalgia kicks in.

They knew that that would make 2006 (That was when they started to release them, correct? I'm too lazy to actually get up and look at the dates on my copies.) forward a prime time to release these, but they also knew even at the DVDs height of possible popularity they wouldn't sell well, so there would be no use in pouring too much money into them. Plus, they didn't have to be well-produced -- it's Pokemon. They would have been bought regardless. Hence, these DVDs.

But I'm probably over-analyzing things.

Last edited:
I have most of the old VHS releases so I think it'd be cheaper to buy the ones I don't have.

Are the other DVD releases (Master Quest, Advanced, Orange Islands) bright too?

The discs with the episodes from before the show switched to digital coloring that try to cram more than eight episodes per disc do.

That is correct, it was something like that. I was wondering if most of Master Quest would glow like the Kanto set.

For those who care, it was exactly the 14 last episodes of "Master Quest".

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom