• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Quick question about something I've heard of

The short answer: It's a (very difficult) type of challenge run that some people decide to take on. The two main rules to a Nuzlocke challenge are: 1. any Pokémon that faints has to be released/put in a PC box, and cannot ever be used again; and 2. the only Pokémon you are allowed to catch is the first one you encounter in a new area, and nothing else. It encourages a lot more strategic thinking while playing (or makes a Pokémon game that you've already replayed a million times feel a bit more interesting).

The long answer: https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Nuzlocke_Challenge

I've seen on Youtube and stuff about "Nuzlockes" in Pokémon strategies. Would anybody happen to know what a Nuzlocke is?
So. It's a challenge. The rules, that I am aware of, are pretty simple.
1. When a Pokémon faints, it's considered "dead". It must be boxed and not used for the rest of the game.
2. You can only catch the first wild Pokémon you see on the route. Some people make exceptions for shinies.
3. You may not grind against wild Pokémon, though your allowed to battle all trainers.
4. No in-battle items.
Some people add more I think but this is kinda the basics- really rule number 1 is the basic premise, even if you only used that one I doubt a lot people would call it not a nuzlocke. A lot of times nicknaming all Pokémon is added but I don't think that's strictly necessary.

2. You can only catch the first wild Pokémon you see on the route. Some people make exceptions for shinies.
There is also an optional dupes clause pertaining to repeat encounters which grants the choice to invalidate dupes. This can be applied to the Pokemon's entire line. i.e Noctowl can qualify under the dupes clause if the player has already caught a HootHoot.

3. You may not grind against wild Pokémon, though your allowed to battle all trainers.
Huh, I haven't heard of this one but it must be optional because I believe the Nuzlockers I watch on Youtube grind.

4. No in-battle items.
100% optional. Both Nuzlockers I watch use In-Battle items although I have seen at least one Nuzlocker limit himself to 3 items per battle.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I suppose anything is optional except the main staples:
1. Fainting = Death. A Pokemon that is fainted is considered 'dead' and can no longer be used.
2. Only the first Pokemon encountered per route or area may be captured (with optional exceptions for shinies and dupes)

Last edited:
Pretty much. The first two rules are what makes something a nuzlocke.

The nicknaming one for sentimental attachment to your pokémon (so it hurts extra hard when they faint).

Any other rule you want to add to spice things up is entirely up to you. I've seen some really cool custom sets of rules. One of my favorites is the nuzlocke that was a gen 1 run, it tallied up their areas until the next gym, and then booted up Pokémon Pinball to line up and decide what their captures would be in the game. If they couldn't find one they captured in pinball in the actual game yet it would be noted down for capture later. Every failed capture in the pinball game counted as a failed capture for an area.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom