• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

EVERYONE: Quotes from stories

Cabaret

I feel so much spring...
Reaction score
Hey, you can post quotes from stories you like in this thread. Or quotes about writing in general. Basically just quotes you like about writing, or other persons writing.

What I mean is, you can post quotes from stories that have been posted in the workshop, that you like.

close the thread if this has already been done before. I couldn't find a thread like this so-here you go.

General writing quotes:

“Write to be understood, speak to be heard, read to grow...” - L. Powell

“Writing is a form of personal freedom. It frees us from the mass identity we see in the making all around us. In the end, writers will write not to be outlaw heroes of some underculture but mainly to save themselves, to survive as individuals.” - Don Delillo

"Brevity is the soul of wit." -- some weird guy whose name I cannot for the life of me remember

I've got two quotes I'd like to put on here, both are from manga though:

This first one is from Bakuman (same author as Death Note) and is about writing (specifically manga but it can be applied to other areas of writing and creativity):

"How to be a man

1) Never create a superficial work, pour your blood into the ink.
2) Never chase after popularity, which is as transient as a flower. Dig deep into the earth and put down roots.
3) No matter how much status you attain, you must never have regrets. If the choice is between peace and the storm, choose the storm.
4) If you should fail, never cry. Study your failure and let it give birth to success.
5) Even if you obey the previous rules, never think you alone are right. Learn from everything and everyone around you!"

Secondly, not quite related to writing but still a beautiful quote from One Outs (same author as Liar Game)

"Winning isn't about exceeding the opponents in strength, let alone waiting around for a streak of good luck. Winning is about making your opponents lose, making them taste defeat, crushing a fallen opponent, kicking them when they're down, rubbing salt into a gaping wound. Winning is about trampling over corpses, it's not something beautiful... It's brutal"

"Imagination percolates and spins, that's the ancient art of creation proudly on display"-Neil Bartram

'There is no agony like bearing an untold story inside you.'
- Zora Neale Hurston

“The intelligence of the creature known as a crowd, is the square root of the number of people in it.”

“Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out til too late that he's been playing with two queens all along.”

“He'd noticed that sex bore some resemblance to cookery: It fascinated people, they sometimes bought books full of complicated recipes and interesting pictures, and sometimes when they were hungry they created vast banquets in their imagination"

All by my hero Terry Pratchett :)

A Series of Unfortunate Events said:
He found himself reading the same sentence over and over. He found himself reading the same sentence over and over. He found himself reading the same sentence over and over.

I used that because it was well-places into the story. Reading it when you're completely absorbed in the story is just amusing.

Another one I thought I'd add since it was so good. From a new favourite of my David Mitchell (not the comedian):

"When you show somebody something you've written you hand them a stake. Lie down in your coffin and say 'When you're ready'"

I can relate to this so well its uncanny 0.o

“Writing is easy. You only need to stare at a piece of blank paper until your forehead bleeds”

-Douglas Adams

“I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.”

Oscar Wilde

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom