• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

R.I.P wi-fi

Reaction score
Now that gens 4 and 5 are without wi-fi Feel free to post here about your experiences with the older games wi-fi and what you'll miss.

For me gen 4 never had wi-fi to begin with I could never use it because of the stupid wep security stuff, the closest would be the friend rescue in explores of time. In gen 5 I got my first event pokemon deoxys with it and my first online wi-fi battle and wi-fi trade altough the wi-fi battle and trade wasn't until after I got my 3ds. I won't miss the wi-fi as I did not use it that much in gen 5 and Gen 4 doesn't work with my wi-fi anyway.

the first thing i did with WiFi was trade my Palkia for a Chimchar over the GTS, to test the service out. I then started a new file on Platinum and got all three Sinnoh starters for my team.

I really enjoyed the WiFi Plaza in gen 4, and am bummed that it's gone forever. I've bookmarked several YouTube videos regarding the plaza.

I liked the GTS in Gen 5 (though I prefer an actual building than a section of the Pokemon Center), and created my first ancillary team for online battles.

there are some things I'll never get to experience again, like watching battle videos or looking at people's PC boxes, and participating in random matchups. But I had fun with it.

I'm sad that it's gone, because I haven't had a chance to play those games yet and now I'll never get to experience that part of the games.

The Plaza thing in Platinum was so freaking awesome! I spent quite a bit of time there as it was just so cool...

I still fondly remember the battles I've had on Wi-Fi back in the days of Gen IV. It was an experience like nothing I've ever felt before, being able to test my skill against real people all over the world. It was that experience that really ingrained the fourth generation as my favorite in all of Pokémon.

In fact, I actually recorded a few of my battles. I would say that this battle was one of the best I've ever had, and I'm glad I caught it on camera.
(Be warned: the video is over 30 minutes long. Get some popcorn or something if you want to watch. XD)

I'm still wondering why we never saw the "Lv.100 Battle" option again after Gen IV. It was amazing to see my Pokémon fight at their full strength without having to do all of the pain-in-the-ass training (and without cheating, no less!). Why was that option removed?

The only thing that I really missed in 4th and 5th gen was that I didn't get all of the Wi-Fi related Medals in BW2, aside from that, I did pretty much everything I needed to before it shut down.

I miss that I'll never be able to create my ultimate perfect IV'd army of monsters through apps. It'll probably be a year until people crack the 3DS' Wi-Fi stuff...

Aside from that, I never used Wi-Fi or the GTS (X was the first game I ever used it in)

Now that gens 4 and 5 are without wi-fi Feel free to post here about your experiences with the older games wi-fi and what you'll miss.

For me gen 4 never had wi-fi to begin with I could never use it because of the stupid wep security stuff, the closest would be the friend rescue in explores of time. In gen 5 I got my first event pokemon deoxys with it and my first online wi-fi battle and wi-fi trade altough the wi-fi battle and trade wasn't until after I got my 3ds. I won't miss the wi-fi as I did not use it that much in gen 5 and Gen 4 doesn't work with my wi-fi anyway.

This is pretty much the same as my story lol. I never really used Wi-fi much in gen 4. I could only use wi-fi when I visited my public library, which was alright. Don't remember my first wi-fi event Pokemon really. Thank god the 3DS is actually fully compatible with my home wi-fi.

I still fondly remember the battles I've had on Wi-Fi back in the days of Gen IV. It was an experience like nothing I've ever felt before, being able to test my skill against real people all over the world. It was that experience that really ingrained the fourth generation as my favorite in all of Pokémon.

In fact, I actually recorded a few of my battles. I would say that this battle was one of the best I've ever had, and I'm glad I caught it on camera.
(Be warned: the video is over 30 minutes long. Get some popcorn or something if you want to watch. XD)

I'm still wondering why we never saw the "Lv.100 Battle" option again after Gen IV. It was amazing to see my Pokémon fight at their full strength without having to do all of the pain-in-the-ass training (and without cheating, no less!). Why was that option removed?

For simplicity, most likely. Because besides the level number, a battle with level 50s is exactly the same as a battle with level 100s since the stats are just doubled all around for the most part, I believe. So as far as actual battle effects, nothing is changed. Plus, not that many people want to train ALL the way to level 100 for every mon on their team.

I never really battled on the Gen IV or Gen V wi-fi but I did a lot of trading back in the day. While I was on Pearl I simply searched for shinies or traded female Combee for males when I found them. I also offered some female Combee for various Pokemon and got some great trades in return.

With Gen V, it was all about the Automatons. I took in as many as I could, normal and shiny. Ah, those were the days: trying to nail down a trade to save a level 1 shiny Golett or a level 58 Golurk. I spent a lot of time looking for a Shaymin or a Mew or a Reshiram to rescue some poor Dream World Golett. My time on Black ended up maxed out about a month before the wi-fi was shut down but I have no regrets.

I miss it, though. I felt a pinch of sadness when I tried to log on to wi-fi after it was terminated and saw that message. Felt like the end of an era to me.

Can't say I'll miss the GTS with all of its dumb, impossible trades.

I've never been able to try it, because i've never had wifi access and the DS at the same time. Also the setup was overly complicated I just couldn't understand it. (I'm a bit of a techno-phobe. Anything i know, i can do. Anything i don't know, i'll try and end up deleting all my files, or downloading a virus or deleting the internet completely.)

I used to use wi-fi mainly to evolve Pokemon that could only be evolved by trading. Once, it was to obtain a Globe for my secret base in Diamond. One of the greatest moments of my use of it took place shortly before I finished Diamond (which in turn I did before abandoning the games altogether for a number of reasons). It was a time when I evolved eight different Pokemon within one day while mainly trying to evolve two. I wrote about it on LiveJournal the following day:

dmxrated - June 12th, 2012

On the bright side of things, there are fan movements to get unofficial WFC servers up!

Wait, WHAT? Please tell me about this.
is it through DNS?

That (old) post is probably about the DWC Network Server Emulator, but based on their guides it isn't possible to use that with legitimate games with legitimate hardware, you need either a cheating device or an illegal patched copy of a supported game to circumvent the secure connection checks.

On the bright side of things, there are fan movements to get unofficial WFC servers up!

Wait, WHAT? Please tell me about this.
is it through DNS?

That (old) post is probably about the DWC Network Server Emulator, but based on their guides it isn't possible to use that with legitimate games with legitimate hardware, you need either a cheating device or an illegal patched copy of a supported game to circumvent the secure connection checks.

Stupid certificates.

Oh h*** ****, I was so caught off-guard when they made the news in February-March last year. I just bought Black 1 after playing and finishing Y in December 2013. I was stressed as heck, since I wanted to complete the Unova Pokedex and send some of my Unova Pokémon to complete the Kalos National Dex - thus involving the GTS to get the version exclusives - and I suddenly had a time limit.

And initially it was really baffling that Nintendo would shutdown the DS Wi-Fi in such an short timeframe, considering that, at least for Nintendo-Japan, their customer support for older games were generously long. The Famicon Disk System and the Super Famicon Nintendo Power ROM downloads both lasted for 5~10 years after their very last Famicon/Super Famicon games were released. The GBC repairs were only discontinued in 2014, according to the Japanese Wikipedia - but the internal battery replacement is still going!

Oh h*** ****, I was so caught off-guard when they made the news in February-March last year. I just bought Black 1 after playing and finishing Y in December 2013. I was stressed as heck, since I wanted to complete the Unova Pokedex and send some of my Unova Pokémon to complete the Kalos National Dex - thus involving the GTS to get the version exclusives - and I suddenly had a time limit.

And initially it was really baffling that Nintendo would shutdown the DS Wi-Fi in such an short timeframe, considering that, at least for Nintendo-Japan, their customer support for older games were generously long. The Famicon Disk System and the Super Famicon Nintendo Power ROM downloads both lasted for 5~10 years after their very last Famicon/Super Famicon games were released. The GBC repairs were only discontinued in 2014, according to the Japanese Wikipedia - but the internal battery replacement is still going!
Yeah, it does suck and I'm forced to wonder what some people who just bought Black 2 or White 2 are doing about their Join Avenues. They don't have a lot in the way of options, since the Dream World and GTS are both gone. Good luck getting your Ave up to level 100 without those two around.

This is pretty much the only thing keeping me from starting over on my copy of Black 2; I won't be able to grow my Join Avenue worth a crap and it's really upsetting. =/

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom