• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Contest Raichu vs. Alolan Raichu!

Life

oh my
Reaction score
It seems like the time is better than ever to discuss these two versions and find out which everyone prefers! Despite having other discussions about Alolan forms going on, this thread is specifically for the Raichu, so feel free to go crazy with discussion and speculation, so long as you're supporting one versus the other!

240px-026Raichu.png
240px-026Raichu-Alola.png

Here are some questions to think about when casting your vote! You don't have to answer all of them, or you can answer ones that you create yourself!
  • Which one has the better design?
  • Which one has the better type?
  • Which one do you think will be better competitively?
  • How do they fare in-game?

I've always liked the entire Pikachu line a lot, and Raichu is really fun to use both in game and competitively. I've used it on multiple teams across generations, so I was very excited to see it get an Alolan form to find out what new strategies it will bring along with it.

But I also feel conflicted, because I really do have such a love and nostalgia for the original form. Something about it always stood out as one of my favorite designs in the game, and while I do love its sleek new cousin I have to say I like the original a bit more in terms of design. HOWEVER, I can't look over the fact that the Alolan version rides its own flippin tail like a surfboard, so that makes them pretty evenly matched in the grand scheme of things for me.

As I said earlier, I really like using Raichu competitively. Even though its offensive stats are a little on the low side and it's pretty frail, its decent speed (now pretty great speed thanks to XY boosting it) and access to Nasty Plot sets it apart from most Electric types. If Alolan Raichu keeps that speed and Nasty Plot and presumably gains access to new moves thanks to its new typing, it will probably be a solid hitter in the metagame. Too bad it doesn't keep Lightningrod, but perhaps Surge Surfer and Electric Terrain will find their own niche after the games drop.

I'll go with Alolan Raichu. I like the original and all, but this smoothing out is a huge improvement to me. The colors also look nicer, particularly the eyes, and I love the ears. It reminds me of Mega Audino, which is one of my favorite Pokemon. And it's part Psychic-type and surfs around on its tail! The only thing I dislike is the very poor explanation on the website as to why it became this way from regular Raichu. (Pancakes? Come on. You could've been more creative than that.)

Normal Raichu for me. I'd rather use Lightning Rod than have a second Electric type set up Electric Terrain to activate Surge Surfer. Even if it does get this move itself, Sucker Punch exists. Bad news for a Psychic type.

Like Alolan Ninetales, I feel that the changes are too much of a mixed bag. Competitive scenes would likely not bother with the new niche outside of Doubles with Tapu Koko.

I'll go with Alolan Raichu. I like the original and all, but this smoothing out is a huge improvement to me. The colors also look nicer, particularly the eyes, and I love the ears. It reminds me of Mega Audino, which is one of my favorite Pokemon. And it's part Psychic-type and surfs around on its tail! The only thing I dislike is the very poor explanation on the website as to why it became this way from regular Raichu. (Pancakes? Come on. You could've been more creative than that.)
I took Alolan Raichu's piece on the website to be more of a joke than a legitimate explanation. They clearly designed it for fun and not because it's in any way practical, and that's ok. :p

In terms of design, OG Raichu all the way. There's something unappealing about A-Raichu's general...roundness. I don't like it.

However, in terms of concept, A-Raichu is the winner. I prefer the idea of A-Raichu more than K-Raichu.

I prefer the original from. Both are cute, but I prefer how the original Raichu looks both cute and has an air of toughness. I'm also still a bit disappointed by the lack of a real, in-game reason for A-Raichu's existence.

I strongly prefer the original Raichu, I love that adorable cutie. I don't mind the Alolan one, I even used it in my Moon playthrough, but I just couldn't get attached to it. It just doesn't feel like a Raichu to me. Meanwhile, when I saw Raichu in the anime or used it in my first Crystal playthrough (Day Care couple egg, Pichu), I instantly loved it.

Which one has the better design?
Alolan Raichu has more rounded and aerodynamic look compared to regular Raichu's edged parts, but much better.

Which one has the better type?
Alolan Raichu, hands down. Even tho Raichu has good stats, Alolan one can kick more Pokémon than regular one (especially when dealing with Fighting and Poison-type Pokémon, but not Dark-type).

Which one do you think will be better competitively?

It's a tie completely, if Alolan Raichu doesn't trigger its exclusive Z-Move.

How do they fare in-game?
Depends on where you deal with. If regular Raichu is Jolteon, then Alolan Raichu will be Espeon.

I like the concept of tail surfing, and Alolan Raichu is cute, but I prefer the original in this case. I prefer the sharper points than Alolan Raichu's rounded ones, and the original form is still very cute too. Not to mention that it being our first Electric/Psychic type is a bit disappointing to me, since I was expecting something more interesting with that type combination.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom