• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

GO Raid Battles/New Gyms Discussion

Razz is just the default option, you could change to Nanab or Pinap. I'd personally use Nanab, they have the least important use in encounters.

My main complaint with Gyms as is, however, is that if a Pokemon stays in for less than an hour you get no Coins. With the previous system it was easy enough even for lower level players to get at least 10 Coins per day.
Thanks for the info. Think I just threw away all my Nanab berries but still have like 180 Pinap berries to use.

Barely use Pinab berries and usally end up throwing away the other ones.

I find them quite useful. I use them on Pidgey for Pidgey parties. And on the hard to find pokemon, that I'm trying evolve. And Magikarp.

Took down my first gym ever. Had to do three 6 on 6 battles to get it. Took me a few battles to figure out how to use my secondary move and never figured out how to dodge.

Raid Battles are now available for players from Level 25 and above. I can see some nearby, one is a Magikarp which I think is amusing.

The rate Gyms award PokeCoins has changed again; instead of 1 Coin per hour defended, it's per 10 minutes defended, making it 6 times easier to get Coins :) Bad thing is, the daily cap is now 50 instead of 100 which is a bit annoying, I never managed to get the cap before but I know lots of players who'll be frustrated over this :(

Completed my first raid. Didn't catch the 3 star Machamp but did get a fast TM, 2 Rare Candy, and 3 Golden Razz Berries that I didn't realize I could use on Machamp til my last Pokeball.

Anyone have any idea what the difference is between the pink and the yellow eggs for raid battles? I haven't left my house today (exaaaams aaaaaahhhhhh) but I can see like seven gyms from my house and some have a yellow egg instead of pink.
Pink are 1(1-5k) and 2(around 10k) star and Yellow are 3(around 20k) and 4(around 40k) star. Supposedly there is a dark blue 5 star but haven't seen any reports of it seen and might be for legendaries. You can probably do pink by yourself. 3 star I did with one other person. 4 star takes around 5-7 people.

BTW I used star, but they are actually dragon head looking things. They show up on the raid screen and above the egg in the gym.

Participated in my first Raid Battle today. I didn't have the time for a full session or even going to any sort of area that would have enough players, so for today I went to a nearby Gym that had an easy/soloable battle, it was an Electabuzz (rank 2). About 11000 CP, was able to take it down with just my 2 Rhydon. I then caught it, it's ~1200 CP, Wonder, 15 HP IV. Nothing too awesome, but it'll be the one I'll evolve into Electivire when the time comes, most probably.

I've done 3
lvl 3, had no clue. Flareon Fought with the wrong Pokemon. The guy who took it down, thank me for my help, I told the wife I might of been more help if I got out the car and spit at it.
lvl 2, starting to learn. Exeggutor . It took all 6 Pokemon, but I took it down alone.
lvl 1, Croconaw . He was easy to take down alone.

Saw a Tyranitar raid, but no one was around to help, so I just said No

Did a couple more raids today. 2 Tyranitar(beat both, caught 1), Muk, Exeggutor, and for whatever reason did a Magikarp. Got 3 charge TMs, a couple rare candy, some golden Razz berries, and a bunch of Revives. The 1 Tyranitar was the only one I didn't catch. Sad to learn that the raid Pokemon you catch can be Tier 2 appraisal as the Tyranitar I caught was.

Sad to learn that the raid Pokemon you catch can be Tier 2 appraisal as the Tyranitar I caught was.
It seems like it works the same way as the hatchlings from Eggs; all IVs are at least 10/15, if you hit the unlucky end you get Tier 2 appraisal.

All The Raid Bosses You Can Find In 'Pokémon GO' And How To Beat Them

Tier 1: Bayleaf (Fire), Croconaw (Electric, Grass), Magikarp (Electric, Grass) Quilava (Rock, Water).

Tier 2: Electabuzz (Ground), Exeggutor (Fire, Bug, Ghost), Magmar (Rock, Water), Muk (Psychic, Ground), Weezing (Psychic, Ground).

Tier 3: Alakazam (Dark, Ghost), Arcanine (Water, Ground), Flareon (Water, Ground), Gengar (Ghost, Dark), Jolteon (Ground), Machamp (Psychic), Vaporeon (Electric, Grass)

Tier 4: Blastoise (Electric, Grass), Charizard (Water, Ground), Lapras (Fighting, Grass, Electric), Rhydon (Fighting), Snorlax (Fighting), Tyranitar (Fighting), Venosaur (Fire, Psychic)

Tier 5: This is totally theoretical at this point, but it's where people are assuming we'll see legendaries.

Tyranitar would be great for legendaries because for the first two generations, most are part-Flying or part-Psychic, Rock/Dark covers both and Tyranitar has the best CP in the game as of now to boot. It can also cover Entei. The only ones it cannot cover are the rest of the Gen II dogs, Raikou (normal effectiveness) and worse, Suicune (weakness).

On another note, Raid Battles are now available to players level 20 or higher! The level requirement keeps dropping.

Today I finally managed to get some more Gym play, quickly figured out that in order to get a Badge to a better rank, the quick way would be to bring a friend in a different team from yours and change the Gym's hands between you while also feeding your Pokemon a few Berries. Too bad that just managing to defend for long is less efficient, however that's what you need to do to get the PokeCoins.

Anyway, I only managed to get 10 Coins like this (1h 20m defended) but for someone at a better level and in a less populated area it should be very easy to hit the cap of 50 Coins daily, and once that's settled, the rest of the Gym objective is different, it's all about the Badges now.

Did my first raid battle coming out of class. MAGIKARP. ^<__<^ nobody was around so I did it by myself. There were 1-2 others going on in other places on campus but it's hot outside and I have a cumulative final on Friday so I just went home~ I did get a few golden razzberries for it though.

Last post I forgot to say that my second Raid Battle was Muk, did it by myself. Had to walk a while for it but it was worth it, I'm glad I'm done with the Grimer line the easy way (catching one of each) as they are extremely rare and it would take a long while to gather 50 Candy.

Today's Raid was Snorlax. I went at the city centre which has become a good spot again as some nice Tier 4 Raids spawn there, with enough people to do them as they can't be done solo. Upon going there I noticed one in about 10 minutes and started approaching the Gym, the Egg hatched into Snorlax. 6 people in the battle, it only took out 2 of my Pokemon and some HP off the 3rd before we defeated it. Then I caught it easily, just Golden Razz Berry, Great throw and enough luck. But luck ran out there as its IVs aren't good, it's not Wonder :( But it also gave me 4 Rare Candies, I was expecting 1 after getting used to Tier 2 Battles. This meant I could also get Dragonite today, so it's a very nice day because both species are very important.

I tried my luck with taking down a Gym that was easy to hit and having Gyarados defend it but someone took it down at 9 minutes, not a single Coin :(

One good thing is I am seeing better diversity in gyms.

Raid Battles are now available to players from Level 5 and above. It seems like all Raid Pokemon caught by players below Level 20 will be level 20 regardless, meaning that low-level players could get abnormally high (for their level) CP Pokemon that way, that's quite the nice reward. They may be in more need of help to obtain them since they can't solo them, though.

On another note, a few days ago I managed to find a Gym that seemed like it was changing teams rarely, managed to get 28 Coins off it that day. That's the most I've got so far, my previous record was 20/day by the old system.

Although it's not perfect, I definitely prefer this gym system to the previous one. It's easier for me to get more coins consistently, whereas I was lucky to get 10/day with the old system's stockpile of players in the high 30s hoarding the gyms in my area. It also means more gyms that come with great items (as raid rewards) and a good use for excess berries. I do like the idea of automatically kicking out Pokemon who remain in the gym a given amount of days (credit to Kogoro) and also being able to recall your defenders, if these changes were ever to be implemented.

I am still torn on it. It definitely has advantages, but since I was one of the people who used to get 10/day and also know have lots of offline friends who'd get 100/day, I've only been in the negative end of it with the exception of the day I managed to get 28, which needs some luck (finding a Gym at the right place at the right time). Raid Battles are only positive however, and since those couldn't be available with the old system I still prefer the new one if only thanks to them.

Being able to recall your defenders is the best option, in my opinion. You could possibly avoid some situations of several defenders of yours getting kicked the same day and only getting 50 Coins out of them all, and it would also keep the Gyms from stagnating as you'd have no reason to keep defending it upon reaching Gold Badge Rank on it.

I like the new gyms quite a bit. I've already gotten way more Pokecoins than ever before so I appreciate that.

I don't know how I feel about raid battles though, I've done 3 level 1s and 1 level 3. I find it hard to even catch levels 1s sometimes because you get gimped with one 11-13 premier balls. I wish you could stock up on them by not using them during the bonus stage :(

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom