• Hey guys! Have you heard? We now have popup
    Yes, Popups!
    messages for your forum posts. Learn more about it here!
  • To keep up with the hype driven by Sword and Shield's release, we are taking applications for new moderators in our Current Events: Sword and Shield as well as Anime and Manga sections. Applications are due by November 26th.

For more information, see this thread.We hope you all consider joining our team!
  • We hope you're enjoying Sword and Shield so far! So that everyone can enjoy it and not be spoiled, please keep the all story spoilers and any images from the games in the appropriate sections or in spoiler tags until January 3rd.

Since spoiler tags are not allowed in signatures, please do not put images from the games in your signature either. You can list the names of new Pokémon if you want to list your team in your signature.

SPOILERS: Rainbow Rocket and the 4 timelines

Reaction score
To me, this whole thing feels disconnected from the game as a whole if that makes sense. Yes, it's post game. It just happens that rainbow rocket is invading the alola region in this timeline for a reason we don't know yet. To me it comes across as "yes we acknowledge alola's characters are a joke or not really memorable so here's all the villains to help fix that"

Fluffy with 80% more spots!
Reaction score
I actually had to re-read OP's post twice just because I didn't understand a word of what was said in that order the first time around.

I guess it sounds sort of interesting. I guess? I mean, I don't hate it. I get there is not a whole lot you can do with a dorky team like Team Skull and a region as limited as Alola, but I just don't care for how much is going on. Maybe it'll become clear once I play the games, but still... what?

"What do you mean, my Gengarite is contraband?!"
Reaction score
Frankly, I feel like this timeline stuff is getting a bit daft now. I remember when we just had four generations with two each occurring at roughly the same point. :\

真実の英雄
Reaction score
Honestly I'm disappointed that Gamefreak couldn't be arsed to come up with some original post-game content, and instead decided to drag all the evil team leaders out of their figurative graves for some wacky alternate universe shenanigans. That they're even wasting content on an alternate universe where all the player characters failed says a lot about Gamefreak's attitude towards the player characters.

Sobble fan :3
Reaction score
Frankly, I feel like this timeline stuff is getting a bit daft now. I remember when we just had four generations with two each occurring at roughly the same point. :\
Yeah its a bit much I agree but then again they couldn't just keep making games and remakes and then retconing them. The Multiverse thing is pretty interesting from one side as it gives a lot of opportunities.

Honestly I'm disappointed that Gamefreak couldn't be arsed to come up with some original post-game content, and instead decided to drag all the evil team leaders out of their figurative graves for some wacky alternate universe shenanigans. That they're even wasting content on an alternate universe where all the player characters failed says a lot about Gamefreak's attitude towards the player characters.
I obviously won't defend GF post games before this but as i have said before you're judging something without knowing the full content. Also this is original. Just because the characters are old doesn't change the fact that this has never happened. As for your last statement That has to be a joke. Evil leaders succeeding is an interesting notion and it doesn't require the PC to have failed. They might not have existed for all we know.

Stuck
Reaction score
It is not an interesting notion if they're all going to lose to a single kid in the span of a few hours.

Reaction score
It is not an interesting notion if they're all going to lose to a single kid in the span of a few hours.
Right because PC saving the world from aliens, stopping genocide, destruction of universe etc are okay but god forbid PC defeats some strong trainers even if he is the new champion. These are pokemon games.

Stuck
Reaction score
The genocide and universe destruction examples are simply cases where each organization had a silly objective that was meant to fail to begin with. But now, years later, we're supposed to believe that those plans weren't doomed to fail. Giratina and Arceus couldn't stop Cyrus? The Ultimate Weapon wiped out the entire world except for Team Flare? And let's not talk about Maxie and Archie.

Either way, I am not going to agree with you that the concept is interesting just because the standards aren't high, especially when SM didn't have anything nonsensical (except for the silly fusion gimmick). Sorry.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The genocide and universe destruction examples are simply cases where each organization had a silly objective that was meant to fail to begin with. But now, years later, we're supposed to believe that those plans weren't doomed to fail. Giratina and Arceus couldn't stop Cyrus? The Ultimate Weapon wiped out the entire world except for Team Flare? And let's not talk about Maxie and Archie.

Either way, I am not going to agree with you that the concept is interesting just because the standards aren't high, especially when SM didn't have anything nonsensical (except for the silly fusion gimmick). Sorry.
Obviously not. You can have your own opinion on that. However that doesn't change the fact that this still is a pokemon game. Moreover we don't even have the complete information and yet people are jumping to conclusions. That said, you're free to be not interested. I mean that is subjective after all.

Reaction score
Just realized that Maxie and Archie must be from different, R/S universes, since they were opposed to each other in the original games.

Reaction score
Just realized that Maxie and Archie must be from different, R/S universes, since they were opposed to each other in the original games.
True and they cannot have succeeded in their plans in the same universe after all.

Eggseggs Eggseggs
Reaction score
That they're even wasting content on an alternate universe where all the player characters failed says a lot about Gamefreak's attitude towards the player characters.
Wait what does it say about that?

What made you think the plans were doomed? In every instance the only thing stopping them was an abnormally good 11 year old trainer. It's not like Lance or somebody like that could have stopped them (especially once legends get involved) since all the npc tier characters wasted their lives being ass. Literally the only problem was you.

I mean they all were pretty serious and got pretty far already. Archie/Maxie already fucked their world, Cyrus already had one or two essential gods under his control, Giovanni had already infiltrated the Kanto Pokemon League, and N had already beaten the Unova Elites and was at the top of ladder till you beat his ass.

Also I don't think it's that far fetched to think in another universe the same guy who made the creators of time and space his bitches did the same to the other beings on their level. Just takes a bit more preparation and knowledge of the legends and myths. Cyrus was already on the level of taming gods.

Last edited:
Stuck
Reaction score
I repeat: "Giratina and Arceus couldn't stop Cyrus? The Ultimate Weapon wiped out an entire world except for Team Flare? Maxie and Archie could survive Groudon and Kyogre going too far?"

The above plans had obvious flaws regardless of the player's involvement. You can come up with contrived explanations, but chances are that Game Freak don't even care.

Reaction score
What made you think the plans were doomed? In every instance the only thing stopping them was an abnormally good 11 year old trainer. It's like Lance or somebody like that could have stopped them (especially once legends get involved) since all the npc tier characters wasted their lives being ass. Literally the only problem was you.
i think that's what they're getting at though: why would you be the only magical ingredient to stop these baddies?

Am I getting dabbed on by a Stunfisk?
Reaction score
That they're even wasting content on an alternate universe where all the player characters failed says a lot about Gamefreak's attitude towards the player characters.
Except it says pretty much nothing about their attitude toward player characters... depending on the flavor of multiverse theory they’re using, there could be god-knows-how-many variations of reality. In some (i.e., the games we played), the protagonists won. In others (i.e., the disposable what-if universes that are going to be involved here), the villains won. And in yet more realities beyond that, nobody won because a contagious substance fell to Earth on a meteor and mutated everybody into tube socks...

While we’re at it, the protagonists in Generations didn’t do much because, as has been obvious since Day 1, the protagonists are intended to be blank slates onto which you impose yourself, not distinct characters in their own right.

Last edited:
Vulpix velox
Reaction score
I repeat: "Giratina and Arceus couldn't stop Cyrus? The Ultimate Weapon wiped out an entire world except for Team Flare? Maxie and Archie could survive Groudon and Kyogre going too far?"

The above plans had obvious flaws regardless of the player's involvement. You can come up with contrived explanations, but chances are that Game Freak don't even care.
Well, if the PC can capture/defeat Giratina and Arceus on his/her own, it's not crazy to think Cyrus and his gang to do the same. As for the others, you can always chalk it up to them carrying out their plans in different manners.

真実の英雄
Reaction score
While we’re at it, the protagonists in Generations didn’t do much because, as has been obvious since Day 1, the protagonists are intended to be blank slates onto which you impose yourself, not distinct characters in their own right.
That doesn't mean they can pretend the player characters don't exist.