• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Raise the signature character count limit

Noivern

Noivern noi!
Reaction score
Right now, the signature character count is 1000 characters, including BBCode markup. IN the past this is enough - most singnatures are purely BBCode-based, with only images, text and simple formatting.

However, I noticed that DIV and SPAN tag usage is finally enabled in everything, at least, since I tried copying over a signature from another forum that I frequent to the preview of this thread, and it shows up (albeit mangled up).

The problem? I had to crunch the div tag to some degree just to fit it in. The URLs and all the CSS properties that I declared just won't fit (because I was targeting for compatibility with older browsers at parts, so duplicate declarations).

What if we could have a bit more leeway when it comes to signature character limits? Something like, around double the current count would be a minimum, like 2000 characters or so, but more could be useful.

(Also, I'd like to see that the maximum size is consistent, whether it's BBCode markup or not, for the sake of not confusing users or something)

Really, it could be fixed if we dis-included BB code from the signature character count, while still maintaining a "limit." After all, we have signature rules for this, not the character limit.

Really, it could be fixed if we dis-included BB code from the signature character count, while still maintaining a "limit." After all, we have signature rules for this, not the character limit.

Hmm... Maybe that can work out, in a way.

By the way, speaking of signature rules... I wonder whether it's possible to apply "overflow:hidden" or "overflow:scroll" to the signature area? That should make it really easy to spot oversize signatures.

I entirely agree. What I like is a limit of images and links instead. Of course keeping the pixel restriction. I would say 2,000 or perhaps more such as 2,100 for a character limit would be nice. Plus this forum isn't big on signatures anyways. I go to places sometimes ovwhelmed by the size and number of signatures on one page! This is another reason why I prefer bulba.

I personally think the current limit is fine. From what I've been seeing everywhere on the forums is they allowed people to get bigger signatures than from like a year ago.

Also larger signatures would just clutter the threads even more.

I personally think the current limit is fine. From what I've been seeing everywhere on the forums is they allowed people to get bigger signatures than from like a year ago.

Also larger signatures would just clutter the threads even more.

BBCode character limits do not work like that - these code are invisible to the users in the end, but it does help in signature design. The bad thing is that with only 1000 characters, there's not much to work with, especially if you want to have things to also work on older browsers.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom