• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Raising Pokemon compared to the games and the anime

Which would be better?

• Playing the games

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • Actually traveling like they do in the anime

Votes: 34 77.3%
  • Can't decide

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Both are exciting in their own way

Votes: 13 29.5%

• Total voters
The games, please..
You can atleast catch legendaries..

At least the anime acknowledges that actually trying to catch creatures that basically control the world and bring balance to it is a VERY bad idea. I'm happy enough with my Dewott.

At least the anime acknowledges that actually trying to catch creatures that basically control the world and bring balance to it is a VERY bad idea. I'm happy enough with my Dewott.

Yeah right.A dewott will defeat hard hitters like salamence.

I've actually thought about this sometimes. There would certainly be skill required to raise Pokemon like they do in the Anime, instead of as they are trained in-game, which are a bunch of numbers inputted and outputted.

I think the biggest difference would be the training & battling between the two experiences. Of course, in the current metagame, Pokemon are calculated thoroughly with Percentages, Move Sets, EV Builds and whatnot. However, in a real Pokemon world, a person couldn't practically breed for a strong IV Pokemon or closely monitor EVs (if there are any); that's just not the way it would work, it wouldn't be straight up calculated, but more organic (like raising pets). You'd be given a Pokemon and that was that (unless you like throwing away live creatures). Not to mention there would be a strong emotional level to the relationship.

Battles wouldn't be turn-based, of course, they'd be in real-time. A trainer would really have to pay attention to what is happening on the field. Not pressing A, then going on a bathroom/lunch break, then coming back in like 10 min. XD. A lot of strategies like sweeping, stalling, and walling probably wouldn't work as effectively as they would in-game. Real-time battling would really be the epitome of actual Trainer skill, unlike in-game where everything can be planned out beforehand. In the anime world, any Pokemon can hold its own; no tiers. A fast unevolved Poke could match a fully evolved tank Poke if the trainer has skill. Too bad it is almost impossible to construct a game with this kind of realism. I'm jelly for the future generations if this actually comes true for them >.<.

Anyways, just wanted to reflect on some of my lingering thoughts on Anime vs Game mechanics. I'm pretty sure most of you have thought about this at one point or another, but I just think the idea is too awesome not to bring it up again. If not, then there's some food for thought :D. There's no doubt I would be so much more addicted to Pokemon if it was a virtual reality world (with a perfect physics engine?) than as it stands right now (although, the current version is still fun :)).

personally, I think that with enough creativity, a lot of aspects from the game could be faithfully reproduced in a more realistic scenario, even the bizarre stuff like Earthquake hitting certain flying insects and using Dive on land (hell, even turn-based battling; you'd just pull it off like a lot of martial arts competitions where both sides go at eachother before getting back up, having a score tallied, and going again... in spite of that, I would prefer real-time battling myself). Besides, when you think about it, the anime's portrayal of how the hell Pokemon work needs to be taken with a grain of salt, because the way it adapted from the games has been so ridiculously inconsistent over the years (remember back when putting a Pokemon to sleep was enough to end a battle and Fushigidane's Vine Whip couldn't even put a dent in a Rock-type that Satoshi's Hitokage ended up overheating?). Though that's not to say the games themselves aren't equally guilty, but I like to think that with each new installment, the gameplay evolves so that it can seem more feasible in itself (ex. generation 4 finally dividing physical and special techniques so that there's no longer stuff like, say, Crunch doing critical damage to a giant rock snake but barely doing shit against the squishy Hapinasu on account of being a special attack).

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom