• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

RANDOM MESSAGES 15: Go Storm Area 51...you weirdos

What will you find in Area 51?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a nice trip! And don't have a staring contest with the sun!
Thanks! And no problem! We have pitch black protection glasses that can be used to watch the sun just fine!
Enjoy it, FPF!
Is genuielly jelaous
Thanks! I'm sure I will!

I'm a member of an astronomical society that organized the trip.
Oh right. There’s an eclipse soon...
Yeah. And Chile is one of the few places where it's visible. I want to see a total solar eclipse at least once in my life, and the next one won't be visible in Finland until the next century.

The trip also includes a visit to the VLT observatory (one of the largest optical observatories in the world) and a cruise at the Pacific, among other things.

My dad has always snickered at how NASA and ESA like to make funny-sounding acronyms, like VLT (Very Large Telescope) and OWL (OverWhelmingly large Telescope).

NASA landed a man on the moon 50 years ago. Incredible.
The lunar lander's computer has less calculating power than modern day calculators. NASA's Mission Control computer, which guided those lunar flights, had less calculating power than modern day laptops. And that technology took us to the moon and back. Think about it.

The lunar lander's computer has less calculating power than modern day calculators. NASA's Mission Control computer, which guided those lunar flights, had less calculating power than modern day laptops. And that technology took us to the moon and back. Think about it.
Quite an achievement, yes.

Have you ever heard of a TV series titled 'Timeless'? The first season features main protagonists going back in time to stop a terrorist from ruining the timeline. One of the episodes is about the said terrorist trying to prevent the moon landing. You should go see it one day, this series is brilliant.

Maybe aside from its ending...

Have you ever heard of a TV series titled 'Timeless'? The first season features main protagonists going back in time to stop a terrorist from ruining the timeline. One of the episodes is about the said terrorist trying to prevent the moon landing. You should go see it one day, this series is brilliant.

This reminds me of a different TV miniseries. Some artistic license aside, the historical accuracy is simply incredible. So...do check out 'Chernobyl'.

This reminds me of a different TV miniseries. Some artistic license aside, the historical accuracy is simply incredible. So...do check out 'Chernobyl'.
Never heard of either of these, but thank you for the recommendations! If you have any interest in the Apollo mission, I recommend watching the awesomely realistic miniseries "From the Earth to the Moon". It actually gives more focus on the people behind the project than the actual flights, and the special effects and acting are both great.

Back then, they could achieve a lot with a little.
Now, we’ve got the universe at our fingertips and we still can’t find our way out of the plastic bag we’ve managed to get ourselves trapped in.

Tomorrow is the big day that's been waiting for me ever since last year. Tomorrow, me and my dad will board a plane to Chile (or, more accurately, first to Spain and from there to Chile) for a two-week group trip to go watch a total solar eclipse.
Hope you have fun in Chile, Finnish. You'll have lots of new things to see and experience. :)

I remember when there was a solar eclipse over here. My dad was freaking out over finding eclipse glasses (appropriately so). I believe I had to share a pair with my cousin. I still have them to this day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom