• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

RANDOM MESSAGES 15: Go Storm Area 51...you weirdos

What will you find in Area 51?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
It almost feels too easy to find shinies these days altogether. What with increased chances of finding shinies in the wild, various chaining methods, the shiny Charm, the Masuda Method.

It’s not an exaggeration to say that I’ve had more shiny Pokémon in Ultramoon than I had had in Gen II-VI as of November 2018.
...then I got a Shiny Giratina and Rhydon in Platinum and a shiny Drilbur in Black.
Shiny Giratina I reset for, and shiny Rhydon and Drilbur were random encounters.

I am not counting shiny event Pokémon in this, either, because those require zero effort.
I used to agree with you, but not anymore. It could be said that shinies used to be too difficult to get. Perhaps I can agree that certain methods of shiny hunting can result in a shiny a bit too easily, though. For instance, when I SOS chained for a shiny charjabug (so far the only time I've deliberately tried to chain for a shiny via SOS battles), it really didn't take that long to find a shiny. Sure, I had to catch three of them before I finally got a timid one like I wanted (wonder if modest is the best nature for an agility vikavolt in hindsight, bah), but the time it took to get three of them was less than my masuda method shiny hunts usually take. And my masuda method hunts generally don't take a horribly long time, because ranya seems to love me. So yeah, if there's a problem with shinies being "too easy" to obtain, it doesn't lie with breeding for them. Breeding for shinies can still take days. And breeding is the only way to get shinies for a lot of pokemon in a certain game, and it's also the only way to guarantee a nature and to a lesser extent hidden ability.

I wouldn't say ability capsules, power items, and bottlecaps make things "too easy" at all. They're all things that should be in the game, because if they weren't, things would be unnecessarily unfair. EV training really shouldn't be somefin that's too much of a chore at all. As for ability capsules, do you have any idea how infuriating it would be to breed shinies only to have them have the wrong ability? This can still happen if you're breeding for a hidden ability, I've had to breed two shiny sentret and hoppip for precisely this reason. Getting a pokemon to lv. 100 to use bottle caps on them is no easy task, and getting perfect IVs for a shiny pokemon (especially a mixed attacker) isn't an easy thing to do. I don't think the exp share is broken either, though I think that it should be reserved for the post game. At least you can turn it off.

But shinies are supposed to be special. They’re not supposed to be easy to get and are supposed to take days, hours, possibly even weeks.

If everybody can get the ideal shiny Pokémon they’re looking for, what is the point of shinies at all?
well like I said, I partially agree. I think it's too easy to get shinies with certain methods like SOS chaining, and in gen VI I recall chain fishing and possibly friend safaris paying out a bit too easily. I just don't think masuda method is part of the problem. I remember the first time I tried to hunt a shiny oddish, I was breeding for at least a week with no luck at all. And like I said, for many shinies, masuda method is still the best way to go.

Masuda method usually pans out quickly for me. The one time it didn’t was for shiny Sandygast, and it made up for it by taking only 100 or so eggs for the next shiny.

Even so, Masuda method can be decently easy. Get a Pokémon with Flame Body or Magma Armor, put up to five eggs in your party at once, and ride off into the sunset on your Tauros or Bike.

Masuda method usually pans out quickly for me. The one time it didn’t was for shiny Sandygast, and it made up for it by taking only 100 or so eggs for the next shiny.

Even so, Masuda method can be decently easy. Get a Pokémon with Flame Body or Magma Armor, put up to five eggs in your party at once, and ride off into the sunset on your Tauros or Bike.
it takes longer than the other methods I mentioned at least. It pans out quickly for me too but that's largely because I tend to be incredibly lucky with shinies. I haven't counted eggs in a long time, maybe I should do it again to find out how long it takes on average to hatch 512 eggs (with both the shiny charm and masuda method, the shiny rate is about 1/512). Maybe it is a bit too easy, but I stand by what I said about it previously being too difficult.

they're still relatively rare, though, which makes them still valuable. Even if they aren't quite as valuable as they used to be.

Eh it can or cant be. I hatched a Shiny Nosepass when I didnt even want one just because I happened to throw a Nosepass and a random Ditto together, however when I was going for a shiny Swablu and used MM, I hatched 5 boxes and hadnt gotten it, and I had the Shiny Charm as well.

got this little guy at around 405 eggs into the hunt

not quite as long as a hunt as I was hoping, but at least it didn't appear after, like, 50 eggs or somefin

HNI_0042.JPG

Edit:

he's a big boy now

HNI_0043.JPG

Last edited:
The base is a secret.

For it is a secret base.

Where I take Korrina.

To uhhhhh....eat cupcakes? :D

Also, the base is now MINE. Oh and its Korrina's too.

FANGIRLS FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom