• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

RANDOM MESSAGES 15: Go Storm Area 51...you weirdos

What will you find in Area 51?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
(Wallflower and Oriden, I hope you two don't mind me moving these posts here? I figured this offshoot would probably end up being brief, and I didn't want to sidetrack a thread going into more depth on eastern/western cultures)

@TechSkylander1518 I don' want to try starting anything, but I wanted to put my two sense in because of the fact that I've been exposed to Asian culture. Even though Japan is Westernized to an extent, gender roles are still prevalent in their culture. Pokemon is originally from Japan, so it's going to have that influence. I mean, look how many Mom's we've had for the past 20+ years that just stayed at home?.
I understand that gender roles are still relevant in many cultures today-I'd personally say there's still plenty in western cultures like the US, too-but I really don't think Pokemon is that strongly tied to them. Even though we have plenty of stay-at-home moms, we also have villainous women, women who are gym leaders, women who are athletes, women who are high-ranking officials, etc. It seems to me that we've seen both men and women in a large variety of roles.
I understand that you're offended, but the OP clearly wasn't trying to do that. He/she was just giving the simple facts about where the symbolism in Pokemon stems from.
Their arguments have also discussed Biblical imagery despite that fact that only 1% of the country claims Christian belief. I don't think they're really basing this entirely on what Japanese culture is like. (They stated in their initial post that they were basing this on occult and alchemy symbolism, and said these are made of an amalgam of multiple cultures. Perhaps they're more tied to Japanese culture than I realize, though?)
I don't find the male/female thing being referenced here discriminatory as it draws from a historical context, though, and not expressing anyone's current day beliefs. Yeah, gender roles are more open now, but I don't think it's sexist to make reference to old ideas of male and female energies, such as yin and yang, where the male-sun/female-moon concept is also relevant. It might be outdated ideas that are less relevant in a modern age but... so are the many other beliefs and mythologies that Pokemon draws inspiration from.
I don't want to claim to speak for kusuo-I could very easily be misinterpreting their posts entirely-but it seemed to me that they were claiming this more an undeniable reality than just a historical belief. These parts of their posts gave me the impression they were stating that the idea was more scientific and current-
The symbolism within Pokémon draws from the occult as a whole, and occult includes all religions and belief systems you can think of, that combine spirituality with astrology and science, that in essence are an amalgamation of texts and symbols that humans have used since long ago to try to understand and depict how existence works.
Second, you must look at it from an historical and scientific point of view.
whether you want to acknowledge it or not, males are symbolically represented by the sun, day, and force, while females are represented by the moon, night and form, among other things.

But if they're just referring to it in regards to being a theme in various beliefs, I wholly agree, that's much less discriminatory and my reaction was unwarranted.

(Wallflower and Oriden, I hope you two don't mind me moving these posts here? I figured this offshoot would probably end up being brief, and I didn't want to sidetrack a thread going into more depth on eastern/western cultures)

I understand that gender roles are still relevant in many cultures today-I'd personally say there's still plenty in western cultures like the US, too-but I really don't think Pokemon is that strongly tied to them. Even though we have plenty of stay-at-home moms, we also have villainous women, women who are gym leaders, women who are athletes, women who are high-ranking officials, etc. It seems to me that we've seen both men and women in a large variety of roles.

Their arguments have also discussed Biblical imagery despite that fact that only 1% of the country claims Christian belief. I don't think they're really basing this entirely on what Japanese culture is like. (They stated in their initial post that they were basing this on occult and alchemy symbolism, and said these are made of an amalgam of multiple cultures. Perhaps they're more tied to Japanese culture than I realize, though?)

I don't want to claim to speak for kusuo-I could very easily be misinterpreting their posts entirely-but it seemed to me that they were claiming this more an undeniable reality than just a historical belief. These parts of their posts gave me the impression they were stating that the idea was more scientific and current-

But if they're just referring to it in regards to being a theme in various beliefs, I wholly agree, that's much less discriminatory and my reaction was unwarranted.
I mostly skimmed the lengthy thing they initially wrote with the alchemy references and whatnot, but I got the idea that they were referring to various beliefs- which makes a degree of sense, since Pokemon draws inspiration from multiple sources, including modern, historical and mythical so... yeah. XD

Remember to keep the discussion light hearted
Hey everyone :)

Please keep the discussion light hearted, serious debates about gender roles and religion are kind of off topic for RM and may cause drama in the thread.

If you would like to have a discussion related to pokemon General Pokémon Discussion would be a good place to post a thread, Outside the Box would be better for Gender Roles and Religion. There's also a thread in Support and Advice about Gender Identity

I feel like a Scyther would be a better option for keeping a lawn tidy, especially if the grass is super long. My mower gets gummed up on tall grass, whereas I've seen my grandfather clear off his entire lawn with a scythe with impressive speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom