• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Random Messages 16: This Thread Is A Cursed Mall Area with Tables

What is your favorite curse?

• Total voters
I triggered my 11 yo step bro by saying imma use a master ball on a Yamper. Should I do it?
IMO, Yes. That way, you'd be increasing the challenge of catching the rarer pokemon (Assuming Sword and Shield works like previous games and has rare pokemon.)

I used standard pokeballs on Mewtwo in X. (I remind you that Mewtwo has a catch rate of 3 :p)

Difficulty has never really been the franchise's main focus. They're trying to make it more accessible to young players. And I'd even argue that they've tried to put more focus over difficulty in some of the more recent games. But some of the Totem battles in Alola can be legitimately challenging if you're not properly prepared.
That doesn't change what I said though :) The newer games are just... bland and boring to me, because of the lack of challenge. One of the (many) reasons why I didn't bother with Let's Go is because of the lack of challenge. I don't even own it.

For me, the whole point of gaming is the challenge. I was just playing Doom 2 about 10 minutes ago. Hardest setting with fast monsters enabled and no saving. If I fail, I go back to the autosave (which is done when the game first loads the level) and try again.... while getting all kills and all secrets.

That doesn't change what I said though :) The newer games are just... bland and boring to me, because of the lack of challenge. One of the (many) reasons why I didn't bother with Let's Go is because of the lack of challenge. I don't even own it.

For me, the whole point of gaming is the challenge. I was just playing Doom 2 about 10 minutes ago. Hardest setting with fast monsters enabled and no saving. If I fail, I go back to the autosave (which is done when the game first loads the level) and try again.... while getting all kills and all secrets.
I don't mind challenge, of course. I've actually really enjoyed challenging the Battle Frontier (even though I've had to use save states to ensure my success) in different games. But challenge is just one side of the games. Sure, everyone has their own things to enjoy in Pokémon, but I also enjoy the characters, the story, the lore, catching Pokémon, and many more things. I understand that you like challenge in gaming, but Pokémon isn't a game focused on true challenge. It focuses on accessibility.

I don't mind challenge, of course. I've actually really enjoyed challenging the Battle Frontier (even though I've had to use save states to ensure my success) in different games. But challenge is just one side of the games. Sure, everyone has their own things to enjoy in Pokémon, but I also enjoy the characters, the story, the lore, catching Pokémon, and many more things. I understand that you like challenge in gaming, but Pokémon simply isn't about challenge.

And to that, I say. X and Y were the worst. The lore is, idk. They capture the creatures of life or death. and you have to capture them to win. The characters and story were awful. Catching Pokemon wasn't fun as it was the same pokemon due to a lack of new mons. and it was just a hand holding unfun experience

I understand that you like challenge in gaming, but Pokémon isn't a game focused on true challenge. It focuses on accessibility.
Can I ask why it matters to you to argue this point? I mean, I never once commented on accessibility. I commented on why I don't like the direction the franchise has gone, so I've decided not to participate in it recently.

I do have some comments on accessibility, but thats not really a discussion for RM.

And to that, I say. X and Y were the worst. The lore is, idk. They capture the creatures of life or death. and you have to capture them to win. The characters and story were awful. Catching Pokemon wasn't fun as it was the same pokemon due to a lack of new mons. and it was just a hand holding unfun experience
I personally want to find positivity in all Pokémon games, and even Kalos region has its charm to me.
Can I ask why it matters to you to argue this point? I mean, I never once commented on accessibility. I commented on why I don't like the direction the franchise has gone, so I've decided not to participate in it recently.

I do have some comments on accessibility, but thats not really a discussion for RM.
I guess so. How about we get back to randomness? Didn't you want some donuts earlier? Chibi ate the donut tree, but I managed to pick some donuts from it before that.

I guess so. How about we get back to randomness? Didn't you want some donuts earlier? Chibi ate the donut tree, but I managed to pick some donuts from it before that.
As long as they're made with almond flour and zero-calorie natural sweeteners. Diet, and all. (You can actually make some really nice donuts like that)

Spoiler PSA
Just as a quick reminder. Even though I know no one here needs to be reminded of this, but I'll link it anyway:

As long as they're made with almond flour and zero-calorie natural sweeteners. Diet, and all. (You can actually make some really nice donuts like that)
sniffs the donut

Yup. Smells like it fits the description. Here you go!

gives the donut to Eevee

8c17f36ebfb04033ab70f6b0cc82040b.png

Difficulty has never really been the franchise's main focus. They're trying to make it more accessible to young players. And I'd even argue that they've tried to put more focus over difficulty in some of the more recent games.
I’m not going to disagree with that, especially with the overly cutesy style and over the top simplicity of LGPE.
But there are people who have been Pokémon fans for 20 some odd years, and we’re not catered to as much, because it’s not as economically intelligent to cater to adult gamers. Hence why we create our own difficulty spikes.

I’m not going to disagree with that, especially with the overly cutesy style and over the top simplicity of LGPE.
But there are people who have been Pokémon fans for 20 some odd years, and we’re not catered to as much, because it’s not as economically intelligent to cater to adult gamers. Hence why we create our own difficulty spikes.
Fair enough. Wanna donut?

I think... If they made a pokemon game purely aimed at adults, and without accessibility in mind, it would still do really well. Pokemon is a franchise where there is a very high number of adult gamers.

Would it do as well as the games aimed at kids? No. But I think that's okay. I think the adult-focused one would earn its keep.

I wish they'd make an automated difficulty system, like being able to make all trainer's Pokemon a % percentage higher or lower based on difficulty settings.
As I recall it, B2W2 had that. It had an easy, normal, and hard mode, but you could only unlock hard mode after beating the game once in normal mode.
Also, that feature never returned, which is dumb.

I think... If they made a pokemon game purely aimed at adults, and without accessibility in mind, it would still do really well. Pokemon is a franchise where there is a very high number of adult gamers.

Would it do as well as the games aimed at kids? No. But I think that's okay. I think the adult-focused one would earn its keep.
They already tried making a more mature Pokémon manga, and it didn't really succeed all that well.
As I recall it, B2W2 had that. It had an easy, normal, and hard mode, but you could only unlock hard mode after beating the game once in normal mode.
Also, that feature never returned, which is dumb.
Each generation has their own mechanics that make them unique.

They already tried making a more mature Pokémon manga, and it didn't really succeed all that well.
Said mature manga makes me uncomfortable so I never went anywhere near it.

I'm not talking about a mature game... I'm talking about a game that could easily be played by kids, but is aimed at adults. Kinda like if they released something like Gen 3 or 4 today (Some a bit of modernisation, but not much)

Back
Top Bottom