• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Random Messages 16: This Thread Is A Cursed Mall Area with Tables

What is your favorite curse?

• Total voters
And yes, while not specifically Galarian Weezing, I do think that Galarian forms are one of those “bad decisions” that had been made with regard to the game.
It was cute when they did it once, but pulling the same shtick twice in a row proves that they’re running out of ideas.
Why not make whole new Pokémon instead of rehashing old ones?
Or, if you’re going to revamp an old Pokémon, or give it an evolution, why lock it to a specific region? Game Freak never used to do that, even when introducing new evolutions to old Pokémon in later games.
reusing a cool idea that people liked, namely taking old pokemon and making them more likeable to a much wider audience (likable in most cases, anyways), in a unique and interesting way, is a "bad idea"?
also, people are always complaining that game freak gets rid of concepts that people like; and now suddenly, not doing that is a bad idea? The pokemon fandom can't make up its mind about what it wants, it seems.
I didn't agree with your F rating before, and I must say this new statement makes me disagree with it even more
You bet your butt I will. Especially since they took the time to come up with models for each of those different forms and then had the gall to say one of the reasons the National Dex was being scrapped was because of how difficult it would be to create models for all of the Pokémon.
I'm not gonna lie, I hardly even care about that anymore
because I have just enough faith in game freak to know that it's most likely going to be a temporary problem
of course, I still think it's stupid and disagree with it, but I think some of those people spamming #bringBackNationalDex might want to consider shutting up and moving on already

a stupid reveal video and yet another negative nancy won't be enough to crush my hype for sword/shield
sword/shield may not be perfect, but they're going to be perfectly good games in their own right

Last edited:
"hey, how do we get the whole fanbase excited for our 30th anniversary and our 30th anniversary livestream? Oh, I know! Let's post a reveal video that appeals only to the people that are obsessed with generation one, while disappointing and pissing off everyone else! It's flawless!"

"that's a good idea, but I think we can do even better. I know! Let's make two of our pointless new forms unobtainable, unless they give us money for our generation one cashgrab games."

"Gentlemen, we have ourselves a hit."

Last edited:
reusing a cool idea that people liked, namely taking old pokemon and making them more likeable to a much wider audience (likable in most cases, anyways), in a unique and interesting way, is a "bad idea"?
also, people are always complaining that game freak gets rid of concepts that people like; and now suddenly, not doing that is a bad idea? The pokemon fandom can't make up its mind about what it wants, it seems.
I didn't agree with your F rating before, and I must say this new statement makes me disagree with it even more
Doing the same thing over and over again makes anything formulaic. They've been doing "new forms" of old Pokemon for 3 generations now, under slightly different labels, and it got old.
As for people complaining about Game Freak getting rid of good older concepts, some might. I don't complain when we get something new, because at least they're trying to be creative. Even if what they try turns out to be junk, it's better than getting the same thing over and over again.
An excellent example of this was my gut reaction to the Gen V and Gen VI games. The very first time I played Black Version, I got so bored, I stopped playing after the 7th Gym. After hearing more about the games and how the story picked up, I decided to give Black another try. Lo and behold, I was wrong, and now Black, White, Black 2, and White 2 are easily some of my favorite games in the entire franchise.
When it came to X, Y, and ORAS, however, I got bored playing all four of those games, and, even after attempting replays or continuations of my previous saves, I lost enthusiasm quickly.

What was the difference between the two games? Gen V tried something completely different. Putting in an actual story and plot. And, while Team Plasma seemed ridiculous at first, especially given my appreciation for Team Galactic in the previous games, it grew on me as a nuanced and well done plot...or at least as nuanced and well done a plot as has been in any Pokemon game, anyway.
As for the Gen VI games, well, there was some story there, but the characters weren't nearly as well developed, and, especially in X and Y, there were too many characters all trying to be seen, heard, battled, and poked. None of them really shone well, and, as a result, things fell flat. Game Freak tried to imitate themselves from Gen V, and they failed miserably. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed trying out Mega Evolutions, and some of the newer mechanics, just for the experience, and there was a certain exhilaration that I felt the first time the "Mega Evolve" option popped up in my battle menu. But that wasn't enough to hold my attention when the core concept of the game, battling 8 Gyms, defeating the villainous team (quite literally the lamest evil team out of any we've ever seen in Pokemon, honestly), and becoming the Champion, was exactly the same as previous games.

I went into Gen VII with excitement, as we learned that there wouldn't be anymore Gyms. Game Freak trying something new is always good, especially in a 20+ year old franchise that's gotten a little stale and formulaic. I put in more hours into Pokemon Sun than I had put into any other game since Platinum, and even Platinum was an anomaly, since I just really enjoy that particular game.

tl;dr: repetition in any form is bad, because things get stale. Trying new things is always good, even if you fail, because at least you're not in stagnation.

I'm not gonna lie, I hardly even care about that anymore
because I have just enough faith in game freak to know that it's most likely going to be a temporary problem
of course, I still think it's stupid and disagree with it, but I think some of those people spamming #bringBackNationalDex might want to consider shutting up and moving on already
Oh, I don't actually give two shits about the National Dex not being in SwSh. I just find their excuses laughable, especially in light of some of the other dubious decisions they made. I mean, ever since LGPE literally cut out all Pokemon from the game except the original 151, I saw Dexit happening.

a stupid reveal video and yet another negative nancy won't be enough to crush my hype for sword/shield
sword/shield may not be perfect, but they're going to be perfectly good games in their own right
Nah. I'm no negative nancy. I just have a very...unique taste and perspective on things. Mostly everything I've seen about SwSh has disappointed me so far, and the bits that I've seen that look good don't make up for the things I dislike.
As you may or may not recall, I actually had a much more positive reaction to news when we were hearing about SuMo, both because the idea of variant forms and the idea of no Gym Leaders were new and exciting at the time. Now, we're continuing with the different forms of old Pokemon that's been going on since Gen VI, and we're going back to Gym Leaders. I find both, but especially the latter, to be very disappointing.
As far as them being perfect games, no Pokemon game has been perfect. Even Platinum, which is my favorite game, had technical limitations and slowness issues. If we could get Sinnoh games as the speed of Unova games (which should be possible, considering the fact that they, literally, were both on the same system), that would be perfection. Alas, it hasn't happened, and it likely never will.

I don't expect perfection, but I do expect better than what I've seen so far.

That said, when the games do come out, I will be keeping an eye on any and all LPs done by Bulbastaffers in order to get a more accurate judgement of the games. If I like what I see, I will buy a Switch and either Sword or Shield. This has happened in the past. I really, really didn't want to get a DS, but I watched Lets Plays of Diamond, Platinum, and HeartGold, and I was sold.

@Magnificent Entertainer

I know what you mean about wanting pokemon to try new things. I greatly desire that too. Although I still disagree about galarian forms being a bad thing, because I find them far more interesting than cross generation evolutions ever were.

I hope your opinion of sword/shield improves after it comes out. I really think they'll be good games, perhaps not better than sun/moon, but probably better than x/y. Not that x/y were bad, but they are worse than any other main series game bar rby.
can we please stop arguing about gen 8? i've had enough toxicity in the fandom to last a lifetime.

so: i'm about to cause a war between the fried snow shop and the donut shop.
I don't have anything else to say about this right now

I find them far more interesting than cross generation evolutions ever were.
This may be where our perspectives diverge the most, which does explain our difference of opinion and overall outlooks on the upcoming games.

At the end of the day, this is all subjective and speculative anyway. The games could come out, and I find them to be completely brilliant and blowing away all other previous games, while you find them to be worse than X/Y.

Anyway, I should probably insert some positive vibes, so MK88 doesn't get the wrong idea...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eVBXumXQfA

gigantamax butterfree is growing on me

I don't like how its main body doesn't change much, but its wings are pretty

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom