• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Random Messages 16: This Thread Is A Cursed Mall Area with Tables

What is your favorite curse?

• Total voters
Why did YouTube even start doing this in the first place?
As far as I know the US introduced a law or something called COPPA which means companies like Google/Youtube can't collect data on children who might be using their services and Youtube got fined over this so they came up with this draconian solution to comply with the law where the users on youtube will be found a fault instead of themselves if they don't comply with it. Even though this is only a law in the US, it effects everyone in the world who use youtube.

As far as I know the US introduced a law or something called COPPA which means companies like Google/Youtube can't collect data on children who might be using their services and Youtube got fined over this so they came up with this draconian solution to comply with the law where the users on youtube will be found a fault instead of themselves if they don't comply with it. Even though this is only a law in the US, it effects everyone in the world who use youtube.
Good Arceus...

Why did YouTube even start doing this in the first place?
Yes, and no.
COPPA has actually been in effect for a long time now...I think it’s been around since the 90s or early 2000s. Google and YouTube have been blatantly defying it for years, and, finally, they got their asses sued by the FTC.
They lost the case, and YouTube made a deal with the FTC on how to be COPPA compliant moving forward.
Unfortunately, YouTube is doing what big companies do best, punting their responsibility onto the content creators, which punishes the content creators, who never did anything wrong.

At the end of the day, COPPA applies to children who are under 13. YouTube was never supposed to be a platform for children that young, but, because kids can login to their parents accounts or can lie about their age, there is a decidedly non-zero percent possibility that children under 13 are on YouTube.
So, basically, COPPA boils down to parents punting responsibility for their kids being “safe” on the Internet to the Internet, because they’re either lazyasses or idiots and can’t be bothered to monitor their kids’ activities online.

Surprisingly enough, my video weren't marked for children. So I'm safe from COPPA.
No. I had to manually change the Bulbagarden YouTube channel’s settings to “Made for kids,” which is what caused the comments, and notifications, to become disabled.

I did this because, as RC said, if YouTube decides that your content is made for kids, and you haven’t marked your video or channel as being made for kids, there can be serious consequences, including, but not limited to, a $42.5k fine and getting your channel disabled.

If your content is child friendly, you might want to change your channel over on your own, before YouTube does it for you.

Yes, and no.
COPPA has actually been in effect for a long time now...I think it’s been around since the 90s or early 2000s. Google and YouTube have been blatantly defying it for years, and, finally, they got their asses sued by the FTC.
They lost the case, and YouTube made a deal with the FTC on how to be COPPA compliant moving forward.
Unfortunately, YouTube is doing what big companies do best, punting their responsibility onto the content creators, which punishes the content creators, who never did anything wrong.

At the end of the day, COPPA applies to children who are under 13. YouTube was never supposed to be a platform for children that young, but, because kids can login to their parents accounts or can lie about their age, there is a decidedly non-zero percent possibility that children under 13 are on YouTube.
So, basically, COPPA boils down to parents punting responsibility for their kids being “safe” on the Internet to the Internet, because they’re either lazyasses or idiots and can’t be bothered to monitor their kids’ activities online.
So a big company is being punished for doing something wrong, and they push all the blame and responsibility to people who never did anything wrong instead of, you know, taking responsibility of their actions by themselves like they should?

It's moments like these that erode people's fate in humanity...

So a big company is being punished for doing something wrong, and they push all the blame and responsibility to people who never did anything wrong instead of, you know, taking responsibility of their actions by themselves like they should?

It's moments like these that erode people's fate in humanity...
To be fair, YouTube isn’t blaming the content creators. The money that YouTube is paying as a result of the lawsuit is coming from the company’s pockets, not the content creators’ pockets.
They are, however, putting responsibility for being COPPA compliant on the content creators, instead of taking matters into their own hands. That, in turn, takes money out of the content creators’ pockets, since their videos don’t generate as much revenue anymore.

It’s all complete bullshit, but, luckily, nobody on the Bulbagarden YT channel is relying on that for revenue (I don’t even think our channel is monetized.)

To be fair, YouTube isn’t blaming the content creators. The money that YouTube is paying as a result of the lawsuit is coming from the company’s pockets, not the content creators’ pockets.
They are, however, putting responsibility for being COPPA compliant on the content creators, instead of taking matters into their own hands. That, in turn, takes money out of the content creators’ pockets, since their videos don’t generate as much revenue anymore.

It’s all complete bullshit, but, luckily, nobody on the Bulbagarden YT channel is relying on that for revenue (I don’t even think our channel is monetized.)
There's bound to be a lot of uproar and maybe even petitions against this whole thing.

Am I right in thinking that YouTube was better before Google bought it?
I wouldn’t know. I’m sure there still would have been issues regarding this whole COPPA thing. Maybe it would have been handled better, maybe it wouldn’t have. Speculation like this is irrelevant, anyway, since it doesn’t change the situation on the ground.

I wouldn’t know. I’m sure there still would have been issues regarding this whole COPPA thing. Maybe it would have been handled better, maybe it wouldn’t have. Speculation like this is irrelevant, anyway, since it doesn’t change the situation on the ground.
True. I kinda don't like asking "What If" questions, because they don't change how things did go.

True. I kinda don't like asking "What If" questions, because they don't change how things did go.
I mean, they can, if they were asked in advance. Like, if you’re actually facing a decision and you ask yourself “what if” questions about the potential consequences of each possible decision.

Whenever they’re retrospective “what if” questions, though, they have no influence on how things developed.

Yeah, it would appear youtube's going full insanity right now, by the sounds of it if your videos are appropriate for kids then it's better to mark them as made for kids than not as if youtube later decides this for you if you selected not made for kids, they may strike your channel or you could face huge fines. Youtubes bots are also automatically labbeling content that isn't appropiate as being made for kids which could result in action being taken against those channels too. They've pretty much created a double edged sword with this stupid system.

Youtube's bots may still determine otherwise even if you said your videos were not made for kids. They're pretty much working on a policy of if there's a chance a kid may watch your video then it has to be labelled made for kids and no data collected from that video to comply with COPPA.

So that means upload politics. Every video has kids watching it

So that means upload politics. Every video has kids watching it
It’s not a matter of whether or not kids watch your video. It’s a matter of whether or not the content specifically targets kids.

For example, Bulbagarden’s channel revolves around a franchise aimed at children (Pokémon).
As another example, JangBricks, one of my favorite Lego reviewing channels, revolves around a children’s toy.
It doesn’t matter that your audience isn’t exclusively kids, because the content is kid friendly and kid centric, your channel is designated as “made for kids.”

Conversely, if your channel has political content, or any other adult-centric content, then it doesn’t matter if kids watch your videos.

And then there's halfway waking up and thinking about the fog and filthy air in Macbeth with a sense of immense urgency as to why the air is so filthy.
Yeah. Your first thoughts in the morning are generally nonsensical.

COPPA has actually been in effect for a long time now...I think it’s been around since the 90s or early 2000s.
The Children's Online Privacy Protection Act of 1998... Updated in 2013.

Google and YouTube have been blatantly defying it for years, and, finally, they got their asses sued by the FTC.
To be fair to Google, most of the big-name companies do. YouTube is just more blatant about it.

When you look at the amount of things being marked MFK turns off, you have to wonder what the [censored] is going on. I mean, I cannot add any of our videos to my own personal playlists that are private and not accessible to anyone but me... We lost the chat, we lost end cards, and many other things... Many of which I have to wonder what does it have to do with protecting children.

It is, but the amount of data collection by the big names... YouTube, Facebook, Windows itself... is absurd.

And then there's halfway waking up and thinking about the fog and filthy air in Macbeth with a sense of immense urgency as to why the air is so filthy.
I wonder if any of that is our fault. Mum says the smoke from our fires is going global. It's already impacted New Zealand.

Back
Top Bottom