• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Rank all Ash Ketchum Pokémon

Based on @Ghost Diplocaulus posting a tier list, I made one of my own for how I feel about each of Ash’s pokemon, based entirely on personal preference and with no actual regard on battle skill (also the list had some extras so I gave them a tier of their own):

A5527C20-3411-4A11-9F6F-C5674A02374C.jpeg

I don’t know how to make a quick tier list so I’ll just rank them as a whole per series xD
Sinnoh > Kanto + Orange Islands > Alola > Johto = Kalos > Hoenn > Unova > Journeys

Ash tier.PNG

My boys (or girls): Pokemon I have a strong connection to either because they give me nostalgic memories or because I love the species (hence Palpitoad).
Cool Powerhouses: Pokemon that aren't my favorites but that I still like seeing battling.
Would probably like if they have had more screentime: Self explanatory. Some of them may have more screentime than Pokemon in other tiers, but if you either lack a personality or have a boring moveset shown in 1-2 battles that doesn't mean much.
Meh: Boring gags, boring stories, boring or annoying personality, etc.
Would rather he'd caught something else: I don't hate them but they just arrived at the wrong time and did nothing to justify their existence, so...yeah. And both Gible and Riolu had terrible introductions that made me angry.

This is how I’d rank their strengths (not counting Dracovish here):
  1. Pikachu
  2. Ash-Greninja
  3. Charizard
  4. Infernape
  5. Sceptile
  6. Snorlax
  7. Regular Greninja
  8. Lycanroc
  9. Glalie
  10. Krookodile
  11. Swellow
  12. Hawlucha
  13. Heracross
  14. Incineroar
  15. Dragonite
  16. Talonflame
  17. Bulbasaur
  18. Corphish
  19. Squirtle
  20. Staraptor
  21. Quilava
  22. Buizel
  23. Donphan
  24. Gliscor
  25. Leavanny
  26. Rowlet
  27. Gengar
  28. Kingler
  29. Pignite
  30. Goodra
  31. Torterra
  32. Melmetal
  33. Noctowl
  34. Palpitoad
  35. Naganadel
  36. Tauros
  37. Bayleef
  38. Gible
  39. Lucario
  40. Boldore
  41. Unfezant
  42. Torkoal
  43. Noivern
  44. Farfetch’d
  45. Snivy
  46. Oshawott
  47. Scraggy
  48. Muk
  49. Totodile
  50. Lapras
  51. Pidgeot
  52. Butterfree
So you said,Lucario,Gible,Naganadel,and kamon are all weaker than Palpitoad???that’s not right even in Feb2021.

Yep. Lucario and Sirfetch’d are definitely stronger now, but I’d say Gible scales around that and we’ve seen far too little from Naganadel for me to put it higher.
I think Gible is pretty strong, stronger than where you've put it, since it had the capacity to KO Tobias' Darkrai in case it’s hit landed.
Also Naganadel held its own pretty well against Tapu Koko and Guzzlord.

Imo Naganadel and Melmetal don’t get enough credit. They’re juggernauts who’ve achieved a lot despite having limited time. Remember Naganadel was able to keep up with Tapu Kokos speed+take direct hits from it after beating Lucario 1v1. Attributes wise it’s fast, has a flight advantage, reasonably bulky and a powerful+diverse moveset. The only thing is we don’t know how much it trained offscreen, but we still have a good estimate what its capabilities are.

Melmetal trades away speed and versatility for pure power and defense. Yeah it only has 2 moves, but honestly those are flexible and powerful enough rn. It can overwhelm physical opponents with brute force, but also repel ranged attacks by its spinning (or use flash cannon). And thanks to DIB it can attack quickly and opponents from a range too, so it doesn’t have to waste time trying to close the gap to deal damage. The only pokemon that have beaten it are Silvally (from changing types) and Kukuis Incineroar (the strongest trainer’s ace in the region). I think its safe to say a lot of regular pokemon will crumble to it, since it hits like a truck.

I wouldn’t put these 2 in the top 10, but don’t underestimate them. They’re seriously impressive (especially attributes wise), when compared to Ash’s normal pokemon.

Melmetal trades away speed and versatility for pure power and defense. Yeah it only has 2 moves, but honestly those are flexible and powerful enough rn. It can overwhelm physical opponents with brute force, but also repel ranged attacks by its spinning (or use flash cannon). And thanks to DIB it can attack quickly and opponents from a range too, so it doesn’t have to waste time trying to close the gap to deal damage. The only pokemon that have beaten it are Silvally (from changing types) and Kukuis Incineroar (the strongest trainer’s ace in the region). I think its safe to say a lot of regular pokemon will crumble to it, since it hits like a truck.
Technically Melmetal has Harden and Thunderbolt also, it's just that it's never used those moves after it evolved. But anyway, yeah, Melmetal is a freaking beast. Oh sure, it getting defeated on its first battle after evolving sucks, but to be fair, that was because there were a lot of factors that played against it, such as the fact that it clearly still wasn't used to its new phisique, which greatly slowed it down, and it was fighting against another Legendary that was much more experienced. Plus, it should be noted that Silvally could only secure the win against Melmetal by changing into a type super-effective against Steel, and that what few hits Melmetal did manage to land on Silvally did so much damage that Pikachu was able to finish it off with a lot more ease than he probably would have otherwise. Then after Melmetal trained to improve its movements the payoff was rather incredible: not only was Kukui's Empoleon (who was a good enough battler to force Pikachu to switch out, mind you) unable to even tickle it, but Melmetal OHKO'd it with just one Double Iron Bash. While Empoleon was on the defensive. And Double Iron Bash is an attack that Empoleon quad resists. No wonder Kukui sent out his strongest Pokemon (which mind you, also had the type advantage, fortunately for him) to deal with Melmetal; clearly no other Pokemon on his team would have been able to stand up to it.

Technically Melmetal has Harden and Thunderbolt also, it's just that it's never used those moves after it evolved. But anyway, yeah, Melmetal is a freaking beast. Oh sure, it getting defeated on its first battle after evolving sucks, but to be fair, that was because there were a lot of factors that played against it, such as the fact that it clearly still wasn't used to its new phisique, which greatly slowed it down, and it was fighting against another Legendary that was much more experienced. Plus, it should be noted that Silvally could only secure the win against Melmetal by changing into a type super-effective against Steel, and that what few hits Melmetal did manage to land on Silvally did so much damage that Pikachu was able to finish it off with a lot more ease than he probably would have otherwise. Then after Melmetal trained to improve its movements the payoff was rather incredible: not only was Kukui's Empoleon (who was a good enough battler to force Pikachu to switch out, mind you) unable to even tickle it, but Melmetal OHKO'd it with just one Double Iron Bash. While Empoleon was on the defensive. And Double Iron Bash is an attack that Empoleon quad resists. No wonder Kukui sent out his strongest Pokemon (which mind you, also had the type advantage, fortunately for him) to deal with Melmetal; clearly no other Pokemon on his team would have been able to stand up to it.
Not to mention 600 BST is monstrous. Its offensive and defensive capabilities are sky high. DIB is effectively 180 bp with stab+both hits. Who needs coverage at this rate. That move also has speed, range, power and even defensive utility all at once. The only drawback is the charging time, but this isn't a move you'd be prepared for anyway, since Melmetal's one of a kind.

This sounds weird, but Melmetal's 'spinning' ability is OP. Unlike other walls, you can't just camp it out with projectiles. And if a pokemon was to outmanoeuvre it and hit it physically, it'd also be hurt in the process. It's basically like spiky shield.

Imo Naganadel and Melmetal don’t get enough credit. They’re juggernauts who’ve achieved a lot despite having limited time. Remember Naganadel was able to keep up with Tapu Kokos speed+take direct hits from it after beating Lucario 1v1. Attributes wise it’s fast, has a flight advantage, reasonably bulky and a powerful+diverse moveset. The only thing is we don’t know how much it trained offscreen, but we still have a good estimate what its capabilities are.

I wouldn’t put these 2 in the top 10, but don’t underestimate them. They’re seriously impressive (especially attributes wise), when compared to Ash’s normal pokemon.
They are legendary tier Pokemon

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom