• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Rank the elemental types in order of preference

Dr. Buni

Take me away from here...
Reaction score
It would be really nice if you could elaborate and explain your reasons for liking or disliking each type. I used to change my favorite types a lot and I still do, but whatever. Here are some of my favorites types:

1)
DarkIC_Big.png
Most Dark-types have great designs and I like the concept of a type based on 'being evil". Using cheap tricks to win ftw, lol.

2)
GrassIC_Big.png
I am huge nature lover, so it is only natural that I would be a fan of Grass-types. I mostly like the Grass-type starters, but there quite a few non-starters that I like as well.

3)
FightingIC_Big.png
I like this type more conceptually than for the Pokémon themselves.

4)
PoisonIC_Big.png
Poison-types very often have nice designs, but I am still waiting for Game Freak buffing the type. They are sort of weak :s

5)
PsychicIC_Big.png
Terrific designed Pokémon and an overall very useful type. Love it.

6) Fairy~ The Pokémon of this type are so cute and I am loving them so far.

The others aren't really that interesting to me. Lastly:

18)
IceIC_Big.png
You see, I don't like the colors blue and white and most Ice-types have these colors in their designs, unfortunately. Plus, Ice-types can't takes hits, they are too frail imo.

Last edited:
1. Psychic:
I've always loved the paranormal and supernatural, and Pyschic is pretty much both of those.
2. Electric
Pikachu made me like this.
Electricity is really neat; not mainstream elemental in RL, but still an element. Grass and Fire really don't appeal to me all that much, but this does due to its natural power.
3. Ghost
See Pyschic.
4. Dark
It's a darker side of Pokemon, with eviler moves, and they're usually the villains. Not all Pokemon are good (I originally typed food o-o), and this is a prime example. I just love it.
5. Water
Water has been my starter every time I start a game for the first time. They're powerful and their disadvantages can be covered easily.
6. Dragon
Overused, yes, but powerful. It's mythical (see Psy.) and that gives it /huge/ bonus points. I just really love fiction, and the Dragon type falls easily into that.

And that's really it. :/
see, I'm not mean

Fire: i know, i know, overrated ect... But Victini and Cyndaquil and Resheram and Volcrona are my favorites, and they're all fire types. and moves like heat wave and Fusion flare and V-Create are awesome

Dark: Umbreon is right up there with Victini, and has one of the awesomeness move sets EVER and there's some awesome moves.

and that's pretty much it. all the others are just meh

Fire? Overrated? I've honestly never met many people who like this type... I always felt Psychic was overrated. But whatever. Here's my list.

1. Fire - Has always been my favorite type and by far. I love many of the designs for fire type Pokemon, and I've always liked fire itself. It's so beautiful and it's so warm. Yet it can also be quite destructive. Such awesomeness. Also, fire horses like Rapidash and Ponyta and ninja fire monkeys like Infernape. <3

2. Dragon - Hey, dragons are cool. That's all. And Garchomp and Haxorus are epic. Reshiram is win too. Especially since it's also a fire type. :D

3. Dark - Dark types are pretty dang cool. Mightyena and Houndoom are also awesome Pokemon. Umbreon has a cool design too.

4. Electric - Electricity makes fire, and there are a bunch of cool electric type Pokemon, like Luxray! And Raikou. And Shinx is absolutely adorable. Pachirisu is cute too. Also Volt Tackle is win in the anime.

5. Grass - A lot of grass types are cool, imo. Bellossom, Meganium, Leafeon, Venusaur, Sceptile, etc. I'm also a pretty big fan of flowers, so yeah. Also, SolarBeam rocks.

6. Steel - Steel types are awesome for having great defenses. Plus, Aggron is epic. So's Lucario. I also love the moves Iron Tail and Flash Cannon (especially in the anime).

7. Poison - Poison wins for having moves like Toxic and Pokemon like Crobat. <3 I like it more if it had more type advantages though.

8. Ice - Ice is pretty alright. I like Ice Beam and Pokemon like Articuno and Glaceon.

9. Normal - Normal is okay. I do love Buneary and Lopunny though. And Return is an awesome move.

10. Fighting - Another okay type. I do like Lucario a lot. And my favorite Pokemon is a fighting type as well (Keldeo! <3). Mienshao is awesome as well.

11. Flying - I don't like many flying type Pokemon (Only Staraptor, Crobat, Swanna, Articuno, and Ho-Oh, really), but it has some neat moves, like Roost and Brave Bird.

12. Ghost - I'd like ghost more if there were actually more ghost types. There aren't many compared to most other types, and the only ghost types I really like at all are Giratina, Mismagius, and Spiritomb. Shadow Claw and Shadow Punch are pretty sweet moves though.

13. Rock - Rock is meh except for Pokemon like Rampardos and Aggron.

14. Ground - Not really fond of ground types...

15. Bug - I hate most bugs in real life, so...

16. Water - I find this type to be boring. Ironically, my favorite Pokemon is a water type (Keldeo again).

17. Psychic - Sorry, but I hate psychic types. I don't like any of their designs (except Mew. Mew is cute), and they're annoying to battle.

Last edited:
Here we go:

1. Grass: Off the beaten path, diverse, awesome Pokemon. Also Bulbasaur.

2. Water: Favorite classical element.

3. Dragon: Dragonite. 'Nuff said.

4. Dark: gritty, plus it has some badass looking Pokemon.

5. Steel: Also has some badass looking Pokemon, and they're defensive.

6. Bug: I used to hate it. That changed when Scizor and Heracross came along. Then Gen V brought Volcarona. Now I love it.

7. Flying: Don't care for the type itself, but there are a TON of Flying types I do like. Pidgeot, Noctowl, Lugia, Articuno, Zapdos, Swellow, Dragonite, Altaria, Salamence, Staraptor, Honchkrow, Jumpluff, Mandibuzz, Unfezant, Braviary, the list goes on.

8. Ice: Because in Pokemon, it kinda sucks, but as an element, it has an association with water, and that's awesome.

9. Poison: Bulbasaur.

10. Ghost: Creepy, and sinister. Plus Gengar and Chandelure are awesome.

11. Psychic: I like some of the Pokemon, but the type itself is meh.

12. Ground: I like...Donphan, Torterra, and Flygon. That's about it. Almost everyone else is pretty forgettable to me.

13. Fire: I don't hate the type, and in fact, really like a few Pokemon (Houndour, Vulpix, Torchic, Volcarona) but Charizard and its overhypeness kinda kill it for me.

14. Electricity: There's nothing wrong with it, I just don't normally care for electricity one way or another.

15. Fighting: It took Blaziken to make me take a liking to Fighting types. Not even Heracross made me like it. Now, it's okay...I guess.

16. Rock: Tyranitar and Cradily good, but Onix and Golem completely ruined this type for me. I'm sorry, but I just can't bring myself to like it.

17. Normal: Blandness, thy name is normal.

Last edited:
1. Psychic - it's just cool. And the attacks are awesome and look groovy. Also nearly all of my favourite Pokémon are Psychic-type
2. Fire - I use this a lot. I don't think they did a good job on all the animations, but some of the attacks look good. And I get a visual of something like a roasted Pidgey, lol.
2 ½. Bird (not Flying) - Gotta love MissingNo.
3. Bug - I very rarely use this, but bugs are cool
4. & 5. Water & Grass - I always have one of each on my team on principle (usually a fully-evolved starter)
6. Electric - but motly only for Thunder
7. Ground - but mostly only for Fissure
Everything else, not really

Fire? Overrated? I've honestly never met many people who like this type... I always felt Psychic was overrated.

Psychic was a overpowered type in Gen I, but overrated... I don't think so.
Many of the most popular Pokémon are fire type, like Charizard, Blaziken and Infernape.

Also, there is a thread/poll with all the types somewhere in this forum, fire is (or was) in the first position.

Psychic was a overpowered type in Gen I, but overrated... I don't think so.
Many of the most popular Pokémon are fire type, like Charizard, Blaziken and Infernape.

Also, there is a thread/poll with all the types somewhere in this forum, fire is (or was) in the first position.

Strange. I've met far more players who favor the psychic type.

Well, to tell the truth, I think most types are awesome, so it was hard to put them in order, but heres my final decision:

1. FIRE- because it's simpily just awesome! Who doesn't like fire? (Rhetorical question!) Also I like most Fire Pokemon. Tepig and Reshiram are my favourite Pokemon and Infernape and Charizard are in close second. Also Fire kicks ass with awesome burning abilities!

2. DRAGON- because Dragons are my favourite mythical being (also favourite animal if it were one) Plus Reshiram is my fav Pokemon and Haxorus is so hardcore. Plus it only has like 2 weaknesses which is great, considering
Dragon and Ice types are pretty rare

3. FIGHTING- because alot of my choice starters have fighting as secondary, plus they are designed for battle. Emboar, Infernape and Conkeldurr are badass and awesomely tough

4. ROCK- because most of rock type moves sound cool, plus they have REALLY good defence. I also really like Golem, Onix and Gigalith

5. GRASS- I won't lie, I'm not that fond of Grass types but some are pretty hardcore, plus they do have pretty good healing moves. I like Torterra, Virizion and Servine, although I hate Grotle and Serpeirior

6. GHOST- because Ghosts instantly make any team look awesome. Plus they use ??? moves better than any other Pokemon. I really like Haunter and Giratina, but I hate Gengar

7. STEEL- Same reason as Rock. I really like Steelix and Metagross

8. ELECTRIC- They really have a shocking touch to them. I really like the Paralyz condition plus Luxray and Pikachu are awesome. Zekroms okay

9. FLYING- They're not bad, it's just that theres only one Pokemon whos is just a flying type and thats Tornadus. Plus most flying types don't look very hardcore (Not including Charizard!) I really like Charizard and Pidgeot, and Butterfree and Staraptor are cool

10. PSYCHIC- I don't like Psychic that much cause there offence is pretty bad, plus all the Psychic pokemon don't look very good to me. As psychics go Mewtwos good and Victinis only here coz he's a fire type

11. POISON- They're okay because they have the poison status condition, but they arn't really that popular to me, plus the baddies always use them. I do like Arbox though and Tentacruels not too bad

12. GROUND- I don't really give a shit about ground. Although I do like Krookadile and Groudon but thats about it. Ground pretty much bores me

13. ICE- Not that I hate the type, but it gets beaten by almost everything else, plus there aren't enough cool Pokemon with it. Maroswine and Kyurem are pretty decent

14. NORMAL- Way too boring. Raticate also ruined it by creeping me out

15. WATER- I know that Water shouldn't be all the way down here but I don't like all the fish designs and Gyrados is totally messed up. Also, Water beats fire and I love fire.

16. BUG- Bugs way too weak to be high on my list. Although Butterfrees decent most bugs suck. Volcorona is the only exception

17. DARK- Even weaker that Bug. Moves to shitty. Krookodile and Darkrai are the ONLY Pokemon I would actually want if there wasn't a PokeDex

Last edited:
1. Electric: my all-time favourite type. ...I have a thing for electricity.
2. Steel: there's many cool-ass Pokémon that are Steel-typed. Like Metagross, Bastiodon and Magneton.
3. Bug: same reason as Steel. I think Bug-types take a big portion of all my favourite Pokémon.
4. Fighting: I used to dislike Fighting, but lately these awesome Fighting-type Pokémon have kept coming - like Lucario, Sawk, Scrafty and the musketeers.
5. Ice: it's... it's just a cool type and I like it.
6. Fire: Fire-type Pokémon are always great. I don't really dislike any of them.
7. Dark: cool Pokémon. Scrafty, Houndoom and Mightyena ahhh
8. Ground: again, Ground-type Pokémon are pretty awesome.
9. Dragon: the reason this is the ninth of my list is... Uh. I dunno, I guess I never really took a liking to any Dragon-type Pokémon. I hardly ever use one. They're pretty awesome though. And, well, who doesn't like dragons?
10. Poison: I dunno, I think they're just... Boring? Though I like Ariados and Scolipede. And Nidoking. Arbok. Skuntank. Uhh damn
11. Rock: there's not many Rock-type Pokémon is there. Hard to like. Heheh get it
12. Ghost: ehhh I don't know. Not my type really heheh
13. Grass: I've always thought they're, uh, too soft you know? There's not many favourites in this type.
14. Psychic: don't like and don't really use them much. Oh but Deoxys is definitely awesome!
15. Flying: Nh, it's mostly just a secondary type and uh. I dunno.
16. Normal: too... normal. I love Tauros and Bouffalant though! And Sawsbuck and Stoutland and guh but the type's just boring...

1. Electric: my all-time favourite type. ...I have a thing for electricity.
2. Steel: there's many cool-ass Pokémon that are Steel-typed. Like Metagross, Bastiodon and Magneton.
3. Bug: same reason as Steel. I think Bug-types take a big portion of all my favourite Pokémon.
4. Fighting: I used to dislike Fighting, but lately these awesome Fighting-type Pokémon have kept coming - like Lucario, Sawk, Scrafty and the musketeers.
5. Ice: it's... it's just a cool type and I like it.
6. Fire: Fire-type Pokémon are always great. I don't really dislike any of them.
7. Dark: cool Pokémon. Scrafty, Houndoom and Mightyena ahhh
8. Ground: again, Ground-type Pokémon are pretty awesome.
9. Dragon: the reason this is the ninth of my list is... Uh. I dunno, I guess I never really took a liking to any Dragon-type Pokémon. I hardly ever use one. They're pretty awesome though. And, well, who doesn't like dragons?
10. Poison: I dunno, I think they're just... Boring? Though I like Ariados and Scolipede. And Nidoking. Arbok. Skuntank. Uhh damn
11. Rock: there's not many Rock-type Pokémon is there. Hard to like. Heheh get it
12. Ghost: ehhh I don't know. Not my type really heheh
13. Grass: I've always thought they're, uh, too soft you know? There's not many favourites in this type.
14. Psychic: don't like and don't really use them much. Oh but Deoxys is definitely awesome!
15. Flying: Nh, it's mostly just a secondary type and uh. I dunno.
16. Normal: too... normal. I love Tauros and Bouffalant though! And Sawsbuck and Stoutland and guh but the type's just boring...

Um... You forgot Water! Although I don't like Water I reckon it should be somewhere in that list!

Everybody's eager to read my essay on the subject?

1. Steel - In my playthroughs of Gold it was barely noticable (Skarmory's in Silver, Scizor/Steelix by trade), til one day when I randomly hit trees with headbutt and Pineco dropped down, one of the few really memorable moments as they all tended to explode and it took more than a while to get one. Forretress never let me down, though it took it's time to wear opponents down, it had this unique feeling of being untouchable. A steel type can be a savior when all else is teared down, an unstopable force if your opponent doesn't have tactics to handle one, all the while looking cooler than whatever pokémon it's up against.

2. Poison - The official garbage type with the addition of a certain Trash Heap Pokémon. The fifth generation's additions were only a handful but they quickly rose to the top in every little appeal. Ugly, quirky and monstrous describes the lot of them, Toxicroak, Weezing, Victreebel, Crobat... It's a type that plays ugly without the brand of the "dark type" plastered over their designs. The decrease in their distribution has certainly made them a bit more intriguing to look out for, and I'm possible I might burst if it doesn't receive a legendary next time around.

3. Grass - Always had something for plants just in general, got a Cacnea and a Victreebel by my window. :p There's alot of cute pokémon in there; Oddish, Foongus, Jumpluff, Sewaddle, Whimsicott, Sunkern. But far too few monstrous, eg Victreebel, Venusaur, Cradily. Grass's got a great deal of cool moves too, the most memorable and enjoyable to pull off being the classic Solarbeam.

4 - 14. Meh.

15. Fire - With water, ground and rock being such abundant types, fire is struggling up against common fillers. Most combinations of it other than Fire/Fighting doesn't fare very well either, and pure Fire types are as bland as pure Electric types, both in playstyle, stat spread, move distribution and appearance.

16. Dark - Although I do find the vast variety of designs unappealing, it's rather the thought of them appearing to be dark/edgy/evil that ranks them this low. Their advantages are narrow (and can be replaced by ghost moves) and disadvantages too common, Fighting and Bug moves. While the style of playing unfair or by exploits is barely incorporated into the games, Zorua's ability and possibly the move Foul Play comes to mind. Nothing particular though.

17. Psychic - My biggest concern with this type is how common it is (ranked fifth), one out of ten pokémon is of this type. It even surpassed the grass type (ranked fourth) during the reveal of genV pokémon through CoroCoro, Grass was later revealed to have gotten truck loads of pokémon in the games but that's beyond the point, Psychic happens to be marketable. It does have small glimpses of light; Mew/two and Reuniclus, but they're few and far in between goths, jetplane dragons, bouncing pigs and clowns that possibly lure away children, if Hypno doesn't catch you first...

My top5:
1.Ghost-I like them 'cause they're so mysterious and spooky plus imune to common normal attacks
2.Psychic-I like the fact they use mind power in their attacks
3.Dark-awesome designes, cool pokemon
4.Ice-I know they have a lot of weaknesses but I love them cause they can take down those dragon bitc*es
5.Grass-Snivy, Serperior,Leafeon- do I need anything else to say
The rest:
6.Water-classic have pros and cons
7.Flying-I use them only to learn fly
8.Electric- quite useful but not my choice
9.Normal-they're so common and ordinary
10.Fighting-I use only fighting attacks against dark
11.Ground- good against electric, nothing more
12.Fire-They are easy to train so they're mosty picked as starters but nothing else to offer
13.Poison-in my opinion tottaly worthless
14.steel-I know they're strong but I don't like them except Empoleon- I love Empoleon, but I consider him more as a water type
15.Bug-weakest type ever although they are strong against dark and psychic
16.Dragon- I think they're overused and I never liked them
17.Rock-I have nerver used any rock type pokemon,and I don't see why I should

Grass - I'm somehow likes flowers and nature-related living things, plus their designs in the games are cute (Whimsicott, Budew, Roselia, Roserade, Petilil, Lilligant, Bellossom, etc.) or eccentric (Ludicolo, Exeggcute [gotta love that funny RBY sprite :p], etc.). Most of them are in shades of green, and I also like the color green (next to blue). Too bad most of them have subpar stats and/or movepools, and have lotsa weaknesses :/

Water - a bit related to Grass, which denotes a calm/gentle/cool atmosphere. Also one of my faves, because most of them are blue. And I like the color blue, next is green. A classic type, without it we die in a few days. No food = live for a few months. No water = live only for a few days.

Ice - like Water, it signifies a calm/cool personality, though in a slightly extreme way. Despite having only one resistance (itself), I like them because lotsa pokemon have double weaknesses to this type (especially those "Uber" Dragon beasts). I like the way Froslass looks, especially those kimonos she's wearing.

Fighting - PUNCH! WHACK! KOCHOP! I just like the battle animation of this type. So forceful and sometimes quick, like Vacuum Wave >:D

Fire - gotta hate it if it's the one eating our houses away. But we'll like it if it's about Pokemon Games. Good offensive type, plus, there are a lot that have double-weaknesses to this type, especially annoying ones such as Ferrothorn or Scizor :p

Steel - gotta like this for being the most defensive of them all. 11 resistances is nothing to make fun of. Plus they're totally unaffected by the stench and venom of those filthy-looking mutants most Team Rocket grunts use.

Dragon - pretty over-hyped I know. But other than that, it's an excellent type. Famous for having above-average offenses, speed, movepool, and abilities. Only other qualm about it is that most of them are being pushed to being "Ubers" :/

Ghost - creepy and mysterious, and... they are also awesome. I like Chandelure as #1, and Jellicent are also cute (though they are mostly water than ghosts).

Dark - they are like ghosts, being mysterious and a bit creepy. Though most of them are having serious looks.

Psychic - like dragons, they are also over-hyped, plus, what I don't like is that most legends have this type, in every generation :/ Though I still like their high special attacks, high speed, good movepool, and also good abilities. Considered as the "Best" type in Gen I, until Dark came along, together with Pursuit. And ironically, smogon says that this is a somewhat bad type :eek:

Flying - not a good offensive type, but cool designs nonetheless, such as the original 3 legendary birds, Ho-Oh, Staraptor, Honchkrow (Mafia Boss turned Bird :p), Murkrow (Honchkrow's henchmen :p), etc. I also use them as HM Fly Slave sometimes, but only those with subpar stats ;)

Ground - Super-effective against 5 types, unless they are flying or having levitate. Useful against electric, not much else. Though I like Groudon's design :p

Electric - also useful on some instances, but I only use them if I had to, like Ground. One thing I don't like is that cute rodent electric type hype since Pikachu debuted in Gen I.

Rock
- cool designs, but I'm still annoyed that there's no 100% accurate physical rock-type move besides the weaker Smack Down. And... why is Onix, despite being big, only has 45 Attack (Spearow have it higher, at 60)?

Bug - cool designs, but most of them have subpar stats/movepool/abilities, even when fully evolved. Exceptions to this include Scyther/Scizor, Volcarona, Butterfree (only reason this is included is because of that of the anime episode, and it looks cute too), Pinsir, Galvantula, etc...

Poison - they look... ugly? :/ Some grass types belong to this type, but they are considered grass-types, not poison. And Team Rocket uses them too much...

Normal - they're... too... normal. Togekiss is more of a flying-type anyway ;)

Um... You forgot Water! Although I don't like Water I reckon it should be somewhere in that list!

oh! that is totally unacceptable from me. how did that happen? then... i'll put water between ground and dragon. they're pretty cool but not cool enough hum

Alright, let me try this... The ranking is far from reliable though.

Tied for 1st: Bug. They often have the more creative and interesting designs. The Pokémon of this type tend to favor a quirkier type of gameplay rather than straightforward attack or defense, even when they ARE offensive or defensive themselves. And I love how the type itself is an example of something that started from the lowest of the worst and then worked its way up into something very respectable.

Other tied for 1st: Steel. What can I say about this? I have a soft spot for machines and machine-like creatures. They often look intimidating because of being complex. They are the most defensive too, but without being broken and instead playing like a shield.

Grass. I had my doubts in ranking it this high, but I figured that I do like it that much. In any case, the Grass type. It has about as quirky designs as Bug, however it doesn't reach the kind of variety it has. It is also an underdog that gets shunned with a lot of problems, but it counters that by having a decidedly unique playstyle.
I generally like most Grass pokémon and moves, though I wish there was more variety. I mean, I want to see a "big powerful beast" kind of grass type among legendaries. Or a Grass/Dragon. Both not so much because there are too many dragons like that.

Ice. It is actually a tragic type though, as it is of the most unfavored one in the games. Most pokémon of it don't put it to good use and it generally has a lot of problems beause of balance.
But I like the concept. It is a semi-rare type that is supposed to be the ultimate offensive type at the expense of being incredibly frail (basically, a "glass cannon").
I am also very biased towards it, as Ice tends to be my preffered idea of a magical element in videogames.

Dragon... I have mixed feelings on it though. On one hand, it is the mystical type, representing the ethereal and the most mythological aspects of pokémon, which I love. Those dragon types I like, I like a lot. It would be my favorite type were it handled how I'd like.
But on the other hand, it is also the overpowered/rated/hyped RAWR LOOK AT ME MY NAME IS GARCHOMP I EAT FACES!!! type, which I really don't like. I'm sick of so many "strong and hot-blooded" Dragon types, specially since Salamence perfectly dealt with that long ago. (Hydreigon gets a pass because of its concept though, it NEEDS to be a vicious dragon)
If you want a non-mystical vicious dragon, there's Charizard and Gyarados.

Ghost. Now these have, by their definition, THE quirkiest designs. I love most of the concepts in them, as they all have links to all sorts of mythology and spiritualism. (Unlike Dragons...) making for very interesting pokémon. That they are immune to the default attack type is a great twist on gameplay that goes perfectly with their strange and mysterious nature.

Fire. I love Fire acting as the underdog and not overhyped... Though I happen to like plenty of great fire types. It's not a great type, but I really enjoy playing it. Grass/Fire sun teams are always fun.

Ground. Well... There aren't many Ground pokémon I like, as most tend to be rather bland. But then you have some like Marowak or Golurk that play with more interesting concepts of the type.

Dark. I actually really like the idea of "dark, edgy, dirty or otherwise conveying negative things" for a type, specially how they play it with Psychic/Ghost/Fighting/Dark. Most Dark pokémon have interesting backgrounds. A shame it hasn't been given all the potential it could have... (read: give the thing a gym already seriously)

Fighting. I like the concepts of martial arts and such. But it's only up to a point it appeals to me. But generally I still can appreciate even those I personally don't like.

Psychic. Not THAT bad, I really like many of the pokemon in it. But otherwise I don't care. I also don't like that it has been used to cover up a lot of different concepts either... Light? Space? Spirit? there are plenty of phenomena that have been thrown into Psychic, where they could've fit in plenty other places.

Normal. Normal has two kinds of ideas: The quirky ones that are normal because of the concept of basic and default as they do particularly weird things... and the really normal, common ones that only exist to just be there.

Electric. Nothing bad with them, but I personally don't care much about them.

Rock. Okay, these bore me. I guess they are good as something in between steel and ground... but with some exceptions of the odder concepts, they generally are uninteresting.

Flying. I don't so much actively dislike as... not really care about it. Sure most birds could've had other characteristics to them, and flying just be renamed wind. But that's just my oppinion.

Poison. I fell like I shouldn't dislike it, as it pretty much is in the same country as Ice, and it certainly thrives in quirky designs... But I don't like the idea of glorified generic waste. Also many Bug types main problem is having either Poison or Flying as a type, and for them generally those that have Poison could easilly have gotten another type instead. Sure, they are venomous, but wouldn't a sneaky hunter nature be more fitting for a dark type than just poison because it stings?
The way they seem to play it is that Poison = degradation, disease, contamination... So I'd figure that rather than simply affixing it to all pokémon that use poison they should've been more restrictive and give it to those that follow the concept particularly.

Water. I really don't like water types. I think they are too strong: the obvious winner against the underdogs. I don't like that. They make for certainly formidable opponents in any situation, though, and I DO like that. But I very rarely use Water types myself.

[COLOR="#COFFEE"]cooltrainer[/COLOR] It tends to crash the game. And shouldn't exist. Bah.

??? Also known as Typeless. It doesn't exist anymore. Actually while I'm just joking with these, it's actually a shame, as I'd have liked the idea of a true "typeless" move or even Pokémon in the main games (appropiately put as something incredibly strange and unique). Also the reason Curse was ??? is because of consistency because in Gen II it being Ghost would've meant Normal types would've been immune to it; but it should've always been Ghost. Still a shame, even an unique event item that made Arceus (and thus judgement) typeless would've worked pretty well.

Last edited:
Ghost - Once upon a time, this type would have ranked as my least favorite. I rarely, if ever, used Ghost types--I was terrified of them! But then a pair of sweet and friendly Automatons stepped up and changed my mind. Now the Ghost type is easily my favorite. I adore Ghosts and always need at least one on my team...even if it's one those that want to snack on my soul for dinner!

Fighting - This was another type that would have ranked near the bottom. I only used half types like Blaziken or Infernape and never a pure Fighter. But my Sawk in Black won me over; I've fallen head over heels for the Fighting type thanks to my Hero.

Steel - I love this type for the cool factor. Some of them look like robots (looking at you, Metagross) and they are wonderfully strong. One of my favorite types easily.

Ground - Another type that moved up in my book. I didn't always use them until Gen V. Now I can honestly say that I like them. A lot. My team isn't my team without a good, solid Ground type. (Gee, I wonder who?)

Fire - Fire took a bit of a hit in this Gen, as I've had less use for it. I still appreciate Fire types for being good battlers, but they've gone from being one of my top three to now sitting at five.

Water - A good Water type is a necessity. I always try to have one on my team, no matter what. And some just look awesome.

Psychic -This used to be my all-time favorite type. Not anymore. I haven't used a Psychic since I picked up my Golett and the way it looks, that won't change. And after working with a rather disappointing Espeon that I picked up from GTS, I can honestly say that this type has taken a massive hit in my books. It just hasn't been the go-to Pokemon type that it used to be for me.

Bug - I actually like Bug types, despite being so horribly weak. Heracross, Beedrill, and Scolipede are among some of my faves. If only they weren't so defenseless then I'd use them a lot more.

Electric - Out of this type, I only use two: Jolteon and Electivire. Other than them, I can honestly say I don't particularly care for this type.

Dragon - Not a bad type, but insanely overrated. Most of the Legendaries now are part Dragon; for mystical creatures, they feel far too common. I will use one on occasion, but it's usually one that isn't terribly popular, like Palkia.

Ice - Pure Ice types are all right, but one hasn't found a spot on my team yet. I usually teach Ice Beam to someone and call it good; I haven't opened up to Ice types quite yet. But that may change.

Flying - At one point, I had at least one Flier on my team. Not anymore. Golurk has that spot sealed and I daresay he won't be giving it up anytime soon. So now, Flying types are expendable to me.

Dark - Another type I've tried to like but can't, really. They simply don't appeal to me.

Rock - This type seems a bit redundant. Why should I bother with a Rock type when I have a nice Ground type on my team? Not that they aren't cool, mind you--I do love my Boldore--but their use is rather limited.

Grass - Cute, but a tad bit useless. The only Grass type I've actively stuck with was my Bulbasaur.

Poison - I have yet to use a pure Poison type and enjoy it. Mostly, I stick to half types and call it good. The only Poison types I've been willing to work with are Beedrill and Scolipede, but they're part Bug.

Normal - A little too bland for my taste. I'll use at least one of them early in the game, then it ends up being boxed and won't see the light of day again.

I like most of the types in some way. I like at least one pokémon from each type, I think. I tried to imagine myself as a specialist for each of the types and I saw how easily I would be able to pick six pokemon to use...

Dark - I love Dark types, they are some of the most interesting and best designed Pokémon in the whole series: I love the edginess and mysteriousness of them.

Steel - I never thought I would like Steel types, but they're just so unique and interesting. They often have good defense, which is great but they also have some great attack, like Metagross.

Ice - I love snow and cold weather, so it's only natural that I'd like the Ice type! Many of them are cute and beautifully designed, such as my favourite, Glaceon <3.

Dragon - I know they're a tad over-hyped but they're still amazing, there's something 'special' about them. I just love how different they can be, there are your stereotypical, traditional dragons like Dragonite and then the powerhouses like Haxorus and Garchomp and then there are less 'dragonlike' pokémon like Flygon and Altaria that are more unique and mystical.

Ghost - Ghost is a great type, it has some brilliant Pokémon like Chandelure and Mismagius and some great moves like the amazingly useful Shadow Ball.

Psychic - Psychic is a very useful type, I usually have at least one on my team at one time, also Psychic is the best move ever, it is such a lifesaver!

Grass - The Grass type is full of so many adorable pokemon like Whimsicott and Leafeon and then some more vicious pokémon like Ferrothorn, which makes it very interesting for me. It seems to often be underestimated but it has great status moves like Leech Seed, which to me are sometimes more useful than normal attacking moves.

Normal - This type is great because the pokémon have access to so many different moves despite having a boring type. Some pokémon really stand out despite being normal, take Porygon-Z for example.

Water - Well, it's hard NOT to like at least one, considering there are so many of them!

Poison & Electric - For me these are types that are full of pokémon that I would love to use, but there's always something better, especially Poison, I'd love to use Drapion and Toxicroak and Swalot (I just had to look up it's name, I keep forgetting it :p) but pretty much everything poison does, another type does better.

Flying - I was surprised at how low I put flying because I love lots of flying types, the problem is so many are duel typed so I tend to associate them with the non-flying type. Too bad.

Fire & Bug - Generation V improved these types MASSIVELY. Before that they would've definitely been at the bottom. Fire is also extremely overrated for me.

Ground - Aside from a few standouts; the Garchomp line, the Sandile line and Flygon line, this type is just so dull. I love Eathquake though.

Fighting - I love a handful of Fighting types, they just don't appeal to me.

Rock - I only really like a few of the fossil pokémon, the rest are bad. I would hate to be a rock-type specialist.

Last edited:
Here is my list:

FIRE - Charizard and Infernape 4 THE WIN. The sound of Flamethrowers are just a thrill for me..

FIGHTING - Lucario and Infernape (again) PWNS. Fighting types have 5 strengths and 2 weaknesses. BRICK BREAK!!!

DRAGON - Who doesn't like Garchomp. Dragon types only have 2 weaknesses and have wicked all round stats.

STEEL - Hard to destroy; that's why I like it. (Ever heard of Scizor?)

DARK - Psychic and Ghost annihilation. (Scrafty)

And the rest are just mediocre for me.

Last edited:
Let's see...

1) Ghost - Since the early days, I enjoyed the Ghost-type the most. Keep in mind that when I first knew Pokemon, there were only four Ghost-types in all. Because of that rarity, it's much easier to value every one of them. It seems that even now, Ghost is still the rarest, but that's OK, because even until now, every member is very unique, in terms of aesthetics, battle performance and variety. It might sound like it would go against what I initially liked about them, but I wish there are more Ghost-types.

2) Grass - Grass isn't originally my favourite type, but Envoy (or as he calls himself now, Grass Type Trainer) always explained why the Grass-type is awesome, which got me interested in that type. That's not the reason it got me interested, though. On the Smogon forum, someone mentioned how incompatible the Grass-type is (the description used by that person was more universal and vulgar), due to the blessing the Water-type get (Ice Beam) and their several weaknesses and the highly-resisted offensive type.

So, one thing I like about the Grass-type is how diverse they are. They have a lot of Pokemon introduced each Generation, and many could perform unique roles because of their type combination and abilities. Another reason I like them is the same as why I like underdogs: you always want to root them because if they win, the victory is sweeter.

3) Poison - This is a largely underrated type. There are a lot of quirky Pokemon (my favourite type of Pokemon) of this type, which makes the type as a whole interesting. Their pretty good defensive abilities are well-appreciated, due to how useful they actually turned out to be.

4) Fire - This type is mainly about firepower. Besides, a lot of the Pokemon of this type are excellent offensive Pokemon (good examples are Volcarona, Chandelure, Darmanitan, Heatran, Victini, Infernape, Reshiram, Magmortar, Blaziken). It is very awesome indeed when the Fire-type was given a lot of new Pokemon this time, and the best part is: a lot of the additions are very good choices in a team!

5) Dark - A decently good type to have, and the main reason I like about them is how balanced they are as a type, although not quite balanced in the game because Fighting-types are popular. Still, many of the Dark-types have some interesting designs. Only thing I didn't like is how domineering they are with Ghost-types, but I had to admit that the domination is a necessity in game balance.

6) Ground - The main reason I like Ground is how a good portion of Pokemon are my favourites, including the Golurk line, Donphan, Sandile line, Steelix and Mamoswine. It's interesting how there are only two more unexplored Ground-type combinations, something I often saw as an overlooked fact.

7) Fighting - I have to admit the usefulness of the Fighting-types, although I didn't quite like how domineering they are, which is why they are not higher. Still, the fact that a lot of fighting styles could translate to Fighting-types show how flexible this type is at making new Pokemon for.

8) Water - The type that I initially root for, but not so these days. That's not saying I dislike the type entirely, but it's not interesting any more. The main reason is how Pokemon of the type are typically blessed with a lot of things that make the idea of a countering type largely irrelevant, since the only type that could effectively tank them are other Water-types. However, the variety they have is staggering. All they have to do is to tone down on this, because other types deserve more focus.

Thanks for reading.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom