• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Ranking Ash's Pokemon

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
Now that Ash's time as the protagonist, I think now is a good time to ask: How would you guys rank the Pokemon that he caught over the years during his time as the protagonist?

Pikachu, no other specimen can do all three of Gigantamax, use Pikashunium Z and Pika Papow.

Greninja, can use the Bond Phenomenon, trained Lucario (who is awesome on its own), for all we know it may stack with Dynamax and Z-Move? Unfortunately has better things to do in Kalos than participate in Masters 8.

Lucario, went from hatchling to one of the strongest Pokemon in the world on par with two of Cynthia's aces super fast.

Gengar, also capable of Gigantamax and had some good battles.

Charizard, now this is probably an unpopular opinion, but I believe it never got the chance to show a power ceiling. Consider that given the correct tools, it has the versatility to go into Mega X, Mega Y or Gigantamax. We just have not seen it yet.

Next up, I would say Dragonite and Dracovish, both very strong Dragon types, one pseudo one super unique species with great typing and interesting signature move.

Another unpopular opinion, but before Sirfetch'd we probably have Infernape. I just think it is Ash's best Fighting-type.

Also rather unpopular opinions, but Goodra (also pseudo) and Sceptile (fully evolved starter) may actually be very strong. Maybe the Sunglasses Krookodile, doubt Ash got anything better in his Unova team.

From that point onward, there are several fully evolved ones or just not-evolving that are all OKish but nothing special. Especially all the Flying types. Yet also stand outs like Snorlax, Heracross, Leavanny, Donphan, Glalie...

There are a few mid evos like Bayleef, Pignite, Quilava, Palpitoad...

On the weaker end, I would put Gible (too much untapped potential), Totodile, Corphish, Snivy/Oshawott, and worst of all probably poor Scraggy (hatched as a baby and never really trained much).

SSS Tier
Pikachu

SS Tier
Greninja
Lucario

S Tier
Charizard
Infernape
Sceptile
Gengar
Sirfetch'd
Dracovish
Dragonite

A Tier
Snorlax
Incineroar
Lycanroc
Krookodile

B Tier
Glalie
Bulbasaur
Swellow
Heracross
Talonflame

C Tier
Torterra
Staraptor
Buizel
Noctowl
Bayleef
Donphan
Leavanny

D Tier
Oshowatt
Snivy
Totodile
Scraggy
Muk

Here's mine, based on my personal interpretations of their power:

Ash's Pokemon Power Rankings.png

I had Sceptile in the S Tier before it even came back for the Sinnoh League. Most people only think it's strong purely off it's performance against Darkrai even though it was pretty much a team effort taking it down. You also have Sceptile's feats vs Brandon, Deoxys and Spenser.

Charizard would be even higher if it's growth wasn't stunted. It continued training after the Battle Frontier and came back in late BW which suggests that it got stronger. It toyed with Iris's Dragonite up until N stopped the battle. But after that Charizard did nothing special or noteworthy at that time or in the later series.

No Charizard vs Latios
No Charizard vs Reshiram
No MCY vs MCX
No Z-Move
No involvement in the WCS

Pikachu has been stealing all of Charizard's thunder since the third Brandon battle.

Greninja is Ash's strongest water-type but Squirtle is still his most skilled. Being able to use watergun efficiently while surrounded by smoke and have dead eye accuracy even while in midair. There apparently seems to be a debate on who is stronger between Kingler and Corphish, I went with Kingler because of it's dominating performance at the Kanto League.

Corphish was a decent member of Ash's Hoenn team but it never stood out like some of the other members. It got a win against Frontier Brain Tucker but that was also with the help of Swellow. Then there's it's embarrassing loss to a Nurse Joy's Chansey and more recently Misty's Politoed, sure Kingler lost to Misty's Psyduck but if you watched the Original Series you know that whenever it would use Psychic it became OP as hell.

Greninja is Ash's strongest water-type but Squirtle is still his most skilled. Being able to use watergun efficiently while surrounded by smoke and have dead eye accuracy even while in midair. There apparently seems to be a debate on who is stronger between Kingler and Corphish, I went with Kingler because of it's dominating performance at the Kanto League.

Corphish was a decent member of Ash's Hoenn team but it never stood out like some of the other members. It got a win against Frontier Brain Tucker but that was also with the help of Swellow. Then there's it's embarrassing loss to a Nurse Joy's Chansey and more recently Misty's Politoed, sure Kingler lost to Misty's Psyduck but if you watched the Original Series you know that whenever it would use Psychic it became OP as hell.

Dracovish be like: I am the strongest water type (Dracovish defeated Elite 4 and Champion mons, a feat Greninja still has to accomplish).

Ash tier.PNG

Here's the one I did 2 years ago, though I would make the following changes:
  • "Meh" is renamed "Not bad but not impressive either".
  • Gengar and Swellow are promoted to "Cool Powerhouses"
  • Charizard is promoted to "My boys"
  • Dracovish is demoted to "Would rather he'd caught something else".
My Top 6 Best in order would be Pikachu, Bulbasaur, Snorlax, Corphish, Charizard and Gliscor.

Please note: The thread is from 7 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom