• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Rarest Pokemon Ever?

Icarus11

Reaction score
Hi All,

I want to start a discussion on who you think is the Rarest Pokemon to obtain is? Across all generations.

I think it's Mew because it appears across all games in the main series, in the first games it was only available through the infamous ''Mew glitch''.

I forgot to mention that I thought it was Mew also. But how did it appear in all the main series? Could you only catch Mew in G1 by doing the Missingno glitch trick? Mew really is a rare breed eh? Has anyone got a Mew?

You could get Mew in Gen 1... you just had to go to a Nintendo event. I'd say its probably Mew or Arceus, both of them are really rare.

I agree with everyone saying Mew (even its Dex entries allude to it being super-rare), as well as any of the other cute 600 BST Legendaries like Celebi and Jirachi. If you can't access the events, nor exploit any glitches, then you're not going to get any of these Pokémon.

I know it's neither legendary nor one of a kind, but back when the 3rd gen was still current Feebas managed to elude many people.

I'd say Mew because even now it's fairly hard to obtain.
Feebas would probably be worse if it wasn't for the fact that the GTS exists and it being able to breed.

In gen V it was VERY difficult for my flatmate to get a Lapras. Finding them was bad enough (only appearing in every 40th water ripple) but they would always use Perish song and KO themselves before he could catch them. In the end that's what he used his master ball for. (This was before we had the gen 4 and 3 games, ironically enough.)

Other than that, all the event legendaries (which is why i'm so opposed to event-exclusive stuff).

Way back in Gen III, I think just about any Johto legendary or event was difficult to obtain, at least for a kid like me who didn't have a GameCube or access to the internet. Events still are hard to get ahold of, thanks to the WONDERFUL idea to ban them from the GTS.

I say Mew and Arceus. But because of cloning and other cheating nowadays, there is no such thing as "Rare Pokemon" lately.

Mew tops Arceus because Arceus got a free global event distribution during Gen V.

Other legendaries on the very rare list include Shaymin and Manaphy, both of them Gen IV events (Manaphy in particular revolving around the spin-off games Pokemon Ranger, and only the first game of which can still distribute them because it was unlocked via cheat password while the later games it was a DLC event).

Now, outside of legendaries, Feebas is probably the rarest thing to find. Only fishable in six unmarked tiles in RSE, only fishable in four unmarked tiles in DPP. (And DPP's spots change every day.)

I would have to say gen 1, tie between mew and chansey o_O remember spending many a happy hour.... searching the safari zone for one... gen 3... feebas. Easily. The gts was a truly amazing gift.

Talking in event/legends, I would have to say both Mew and Arceus are top of the list. Both were extremely exclusive events, many of which never really made it out into the mainstream (Azure Flute, for example). Shaymin and Darkrai get honorable mentions, as their events were also limited at best, though at least you had the chance to actually catch them.

In terms of general wild Pokemon, both Feebas and Chimecho come to mind. While I was much luckier with Feebas in Gen III (I found one of the tiles right away, though it was pure luck regardless), both were extremely hard to find in general. I never found any of the Feebas tiles in DPPt (plus the fact they changed constantly), and I spent many hours trying to catch Chimecho in Sapphire and Emerald (I found it pretty quickly, but accidentally KOed it, much to my frustration). While Chingling has increased Chimecho's availability, it's still not easy to find Chimecho in general (I spent a lot of time in Mt Coronet finding one as I was too lazy to raise a Chingling... that I and didn't realize right away Chingling evolved INTO Chimecho at the time). But both I think were extremely hard to come by at the time.

Mew tops Arceus because Arceus got a free global event distribution during Gen V.
They are just as rare to me because i missed that event. And every event. *sob*

Other legendaries on the very rare list include Shaymin and Manaphy, both of them Gen IV events (Manaphy in particular revolving around the spin-off games Pokemon Ranger, and only the first game of which can still distribute them because it was unlocked via cheat password while the later games it was a DLC event).
Whoa, hold on there. Are you saying it's still possible for DS users to get Manaphy? Because I'd love an extra one so i could transfer one to gen V and keep the other in Plat. Explain this password business please.

Also a "rare" pokemon that's not so rare for me is Jirachi. I have a European version of Pokemon channel (living in Europe this isn't difficult). I can transfer as many as i like to completed R/S games via cable that haven't already recieved one. (It means resetting the game to get more for transfer up to higher gens, but i was going to do that anyway for the other legendaries). Just wondering if anyone else was aware of this?

Last edited:
It's easily Mew, so much so that I believe it's the only Pokemon in the original 151 that Red, to this day, has not caught yet.

Whoa, hold on there. Are you saying it's still possible for DS users to get Manaphy? Because I'd love an extra one so i could transfer one to gen V and keep the other in Plat. Explain this password business please.
It only works once per game in all versions, but in the first Pokemon Ranger, you can input a secret code to unlock the Manaphy event. In the latter two it's a downloadable event so if you missed it you missed it.

Victini is quite rare these days. It hasn't been widely available in 2.5 years.

While the Pokemon itself isn't rare, I'd say a Wynaut caught at Mirage Island is pretty rare.

Aside from events (out of which I'm still missing Manaphy and Shaymin and I wanna cry over it) I'd say one of the hardest to get is... Hitmontop. ok, it's not really THAT hard, but it's a real pain to make your Tyrogue evolve into Hitmontop rather than the other two options. Unown is very hard to get right now too if you're interested in collecting all their forms, but ORAS will probably solve that. (I don't personally care anymore since I went and bothered to catch all 28 forms in Diamond, which surprisingly only took about half an hour, and transferred them to X)
Other than that, some of the item-required evolutions are kinda rare considering there's like 1 of each of these items in every game. (I wish they'd fix that and make them a bit easier to obtain)

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom