• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Rate my Monotype Dragon Team

serp3ntes

Reaction score
Hey! I just want to know what I can improve in my dragon team for a little tournament with my friends that also are playing gen 7.
I thought that the best start is to choose OU pokemon. So after that, I choose the ones I'd like to play the most with.
So after that explained, here goes my team:

1582263453566.png

Altaria @ Altarianite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Body Slam
- Roost
- Defog
- Heal Bell

176 Speed EVs and a Jolly nature let Mega Altaria outspeed Adamant Dragonite, Adamant Diggersby, Jolly Bisharp, and Jolly Breloom. 252 HP and 80 Defense EVs make Mega Altaria as bulky as possible, letting it take hits such as Choice Scarf Greninja's Gunk Shot more comfortably. Natural Cure lets Altaria cure its status effect when it switches out, which can allow it to be used as a status sponge before it Mega Evolves. Altarianite lets Altaria Mega Evolve and grants it Pixilate, which transforms Body Slam into an effective STAB move.

1582259129996.png

Dragonite @ Choice Band
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Fire Punch
- Superpower

Maximum Attack investment with an Adamant nature and Choice Band combine to make Dragonite a powerful wallbreaker. Maximum Speed investment allows Dragonite to outspeed virtually all defensive Pokemon as well as slower offensive Pokemon such as Adamant Diggersby and Mega Scizor. Multiscale allows Dragonite to safely revenge kill most foes, even if they're faster, without fear of being OHKOed.

1582259174339.png

Kingdra @ Choice Specs
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Draco Meteor
- Ice Beam
- Surf

Maximum investment is made in Speed, which, alongside Swift Swim, lets Kingdra outspeed the entire unboosted metagame under rain. 252 EVs are put into Special Attack with a Modest nature to let Kingdra hit as hard as possible. Choice Specs patches up Kingdra's average Special Attack and lets it wallbreak more easily under rain. 4 EVs are placed in Special Defense to prevent Download users, like Porygon2 and Porygon-Z, from getting a Special Attack boost.

1582259206473.png

Garchomp @ Focus Sash
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Fire Blast

Maximum Speed and Attack EVs as well as a Naive nature allow Garchomp to hit as hard and as fast as possible, outspeeding threats such as Mega Charizard X and Landorus. Rough Skin enables Garchomp to slightly damage any foe that makes physical contact with it. Focus Sash allows Garchomp to take any hit from full health and is especially useful to let it threaten to KO Mega Diancie and Latios when completely healthy and guarantee setting Stealth Rock.

1582259234248.png

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- U-turn
- Flash Cannon

Maximum Special Attack investment allows Hydreigon to hit as hard as possible. Maximum Speed investment, a Timid nature, and a Choice Scarf enable Hydreigon to become a revenge killer, as its boosted Speed stat can let it offensively check incredibly fast foes such as Mega Lopunny. The remaining EVs are placed into Special Defense to prevent Download users such as Porygon-Z from receiving a Special Attack boost. Levitate allows Hydreigon to avoid all entry hazards outside of Stealth Rock as well as Ground-type moves.

1582259264747.png

Kommo-o @ Kommonium Z
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Clanging Scales
- Drain Punch
- Flamethrower
- Taunt

Maximum investment in Special Attack and Speed when paired with a Naive nature allows Kommo-o to hit as hard and fast as possible. At +1 Speed, Kommo-o can outspeed foes such as Mega Lopunny and Zeraora. Soundproof is used to prevent opposing Kommo-o from using Clangorous Soulblaze themselves, as well as Ditto from utilizing Clanging Scales after copying Kommo-o's boosts. It also has smaller merits by making Kommo-o immune to Azumarill's Perish Song and Mega Gardevoir's Hyper Voice. Kommonium Z is used in combination with Clanging Scales in order to use Kommo-o's exclusive Z-Move, Clangorous Soulblaze.

So this is my team set-up for now, hope you guys can help me improve at its best possible form, considering its a monotype that has a lot of weaknesses.

Hey! I just want to know what I can improve in my dragon team for a little tournament with my friends that also are playing gen 7.
I thought that the best start is to choose OU pokemon. So after that, I choose the ones I'd like to play the most with.
So after that explained, here goes my team:

1582263453566.png

Altaria @ Altarianite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Body Slam
- Roost
- Defog
- Heal Bell

176 Speed EVs and a Jolly nature let Mega Altaria outspeed Adamant Dragonite, Adamant Diggersby, Jolly Bisharp, and Jolly Breloom. 252 HP and 80 Defense EVs make Mega Altaria as bulky as possible, letting it take hits such as Choice Scarf Greninja's Gunk Shot more comfortably. Natural Cure lets Altaria cure its status effect when it switches out, which can allow it to be used as a status sponge before it Mega Evolves. Altarianite lets Altaria Mega Evolve and grants it Pixilate, which transforms Body Slam into an effective STAB move.

1582259129996.png

Dragonite @ Choice Band
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Fire Punch
- Superpower

Maximum Attack investment with an Adamant nature and Choice Band combine to make Dragonite a powerful wallbreaker. Maximum Speed investment allows Dragonite to outspeed virtually all defensive Pokemon as well as slower offensive Pokemon such as Adamant Diggersby and Mega Scizor. Multiscale allows Dragonite to safely revenge kill most foes, even if they're faster, without fear of being OHKOed.

1582259174339.png

Kingdra @ Choice Specs
Ability: Swift Swim
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Draco Meteor
- Ice Beam
- Surf

Maximum investment is made in Speed, which, alongside Swift Swim, lets Kingdra outspeed the entire unboosted metagame under rain. 252 EVs are put into Special Attack with a Modest nature to let Kingdra hit as hard as possible. Choice Specs patches up Kingdra's average Special Attack and lets it wallbreak more easily under rain. 4 EVs are placed in Special Defense to prevent Download users, like Porygon2 and Porygon-Z, from getting a Special Attack boost.

1582259206473.png

Garchomp @ Focus Sash
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Fire Blast

Maximum Speed and Attack EVs as well as a Naive nature allow Garchomp to hit as hard and as fast as possible, outspeeding threats such as Mega Charizard X and Landorus. Rough Skin enables Garchomp to slightly damage any foe that makes physical contact with it. Focus Sash allows Garchomp to take any hit from full health and is especially useful to let it threaten to KO Mega Diancie and Latios when completely healthy and guarantee setting Stealth Rock.

1582259234248.png

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- U-turn
- Flash Cannon

Maximum Special Attack investment allows Hydreigon to hit as hard as possible. Maximum Speed investment, a Timid nature, and a Choice Scarf enable Hydreigon to become a revenge killer, as its boosted Speed stat can let it offensively check incredibly fast foes such as Mega Lopunny. The remaining EVs are placed into Special Defense to prevent Download users such as Porygon-Z from receiving a Special Attack boost. Levitate allows Hydreigon to avoid all entry hazards outside of Stealth Rock as well as Ground-type moves.

1582259264747.png

Kommo-o @ Kommonium Z
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Clanging Scales
- Drain Punch
- Flamethrower
- Taunt

Maximum investment in Special Attack and Speed when paired with a Naive nature allows Kommo-o to hit as hard and fast as possible. At +1 Speed, Kommo-o can outspeed foes such as Mega Lopunny and Zeraora. Soundproof is used to prevent opposing Kommo-o from using Clangorous Soulblaze themselves, as well as Ditto from utilizing Clanging Scales after copying Kommo-o's boosts. It also has smaller merits by making Kommo-o immune to Azumarill's Perish Song and Mega Gardevoir's Hyper Voice. Kommonium Z is used in combination with Clanging Scales in order to use Kommo-o's exclusive Z-Move, Clangorous Soulblaze.

So this is my team set-up for now, hope you guys can help me improve at its best possible form, considering its a monotype that has a lot of weaknesses.
The team looks a bit weak to fairy. Not really a favorable matchup for typing but one fairy could potentially be harmful to the entire team.. Don't know why surf is being used over scald since scald can get some nice burns for Kingdra. Also when is Kingdra going to be in the rain? There's no rain setter outside of the opponent's team which is usually going to be on water based teams making Kingdra not as effective..
Not sure why body slam over Return on Altaria unless you're fishing for some paralyzes. Return has a 102 base attack at max affection making it stronger than body slam.
And lastly.. Not sure how I feel about Fire Blast on Garchomp.. Is there a specific calc for 0 invested sp attack chomp to hit something?

A bit of an old topic, but I'll reply anyway.

Dragalge is considered a good pick on any mono-Dragon team, and for good reason. It has the bulk, type combo, and power with Adaptability to deal with the Fairies that give Dragons a hard time. I'd replace Kingdra with Dragalge, as your team has no rain support so Kingdra wouldn't be useful. Doing so would significantly reduce the team's weakness to Fairy.

The second main flaw is that this team struggles against stall. Kommo-o loses against Unaware Clefable and none of your Pokémon can break Skarm/Chansey. SubRoost Kyurem is a good pick against Stall that can break defensive cores, and having that alongside Taunt Kommo-o and Dragalge could lead to a decent matchup against stall. I'd probably replace Hydreigon, since banded Extreme Speed from Dragonite is already useful for revenge killing and Hydreigon doesn't patch up any weaknesses otherwise.

Now for some of the movesets, definitely go with Return over Body Slam for Mega Altaria. Earthquake is better on Dragonite than Superpower, as it lets it beat Magearna and Mega Mawile more reliably.

Here's a better version of your team that you can feel free to use: Untitled PokePaste

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom