• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Rate my Shoddy Battle Team

Youngster_Joey

Hurrrrr...
Reaction score
Well here it goes, my first rate-my-team thread. I don't know if it's allowed, but the following team was built using Shoddy Battle's team builder.

The thing is, I don't have this team in-game, and since EV training, IV breeding, especially in HG/SS, and whatnot is a shit-storm on a platter, I want to get the right team before I actually invest my time with this. Essentially, this is more of a "dream team" than anything else, and all movesets and EV distributions are pretty much the default of Smogon's tier list.

Because I'm new to competitive battling, I haven't really decided what the purpose of the team as a whole is for. I basically thought of what about make a good offense, defense, special defense and special attacker. Also, all of the movesets are pretty much all that was defined by Smogon's dex, but enough chatter, here they are:

227.png

Skarmory
Role: Lead Spiker
Nature: Impish
Ability: Keen Eye
Item: Occa Berry
EV: 252 HP / 64 Atk / 176 Def / 16 Spe
Moveset: Spiker
- Brave Bird
- Payback
- Stealth Rock
- Whirlwind
Ever since I used one in my in-game team, Skarmory has proven to be one of the best defensive leads in my opinion. It's typing gives it some resistance against fighting moves, and it can survive against Sand Stream set-ups. Being a defensive pokemon, roost would serve it well in the healing process. I choose Stealth Rock over spikes, as while some pokemon won't take too much damage from it due to typing, it can hit almost everything, making switch-ins to Togekiss or something pathetic as Shedinja dangerous for the opponent. I recognize, however, that Skarmory's major weaknesses appears to be dealing with other defensive leads, like itself. That is where Whirlwind comes in, which I just love to abuse to keep pokemon switching into their spiked trap, and also there to prevent set-ups. I am a little iffy about it, but Brave Bird does provide a good STAB for Skarmory, and I actually find it useful for getting rid of annoying but frail sweepers like Gengar.
CHANGE: PAYBACK FOR ROOST
Being a lead that is easy to take out by fire and electric typing, I've decided to replace roost for payback. This is meant to serve as a check for common Taunt leads such as Azelf

330.png

Flygon
Role: Physical Attacker
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Levitate
Item: Choice Band
EV: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Moveset: Choice Band
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch
- Dragon Claw
PUT IN PLACE OF BRONZONG
I think some of my apparent weaknesses was the lack of fire resistences. Not only does Flygon handle this, but with it's decent speed and ability it actually made a good alternative. U-turn is for surveillance, and while it definately won't 1hitKO it, it's effective for leaving a bruise on Tyrannitar. I've also found Dragon Claw to be excellent on this pokemon, even giving it the potential to become a sweeper. Earthquake and Outrage are powerful STABs, but I usually don't use them unless it's late game.

CHANGE: FIRE PUNCH IN PLACE OF OUTRAGE
Changed this upon suggestion. I think this works really well, as it really doesn't need another risky move to choice band with, and it also expands its coverage.

242.png

Blissy
Role: Special Wall and Support
Nature: Calm
Ability: Natural Cure
Item: Lum Berry
EV: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Moveset: Ubers Wisher
- Wish
- Seismic Toss
- Protect
- Thunder Wave
I think now that I'm attempting to enter the competitive side of Pokemon, I finally understand why this pokemon is often a must-have for the OU metagame. Wish is, of course, for healing support to this team. Seismic Toss gives it some sort of offensive oomph. Protect is there to kind of play a prediction game with my opponent, where I would switch out or use an attack at the right time, and Toxic is to further cripple the opponent's team. I usually always switch to Blissy when I anticipate a special attack from my opponent, as well.

CHANGE: REPLACED SHED SHELL WITH LUM BERRY AND TOXIC WITH THUNDER WAVE
I think one of Blissy's major weakness, determined by how many times I've played over shoddy so far, is in fighting against itself. Teams seem prepared with similar sets, and honestly Toxic doesn't seem to be a huge benifit to a team whos common weaknesses are that most of them can be outrun, so replacing it with thunder wave, I think, would be a better alternative.

448.png

Lucario
Role: Special Sweeper
Nature: Modest
Ability: Inner Focus
Item: Choice Scarf (changed from Choice Specs)
EV: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Moveset:
- Aura Sphere
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power Rock
- Vacuum Wave
Focus Blast is for STAB, Shadow Ball for ghost-countering, Hidden Power Rock for a counter of common sweepers, and Vacuum Wave for priority. Despite it's abundance of weaknesses, Lucario does it for me for having a versatile special sweeper.

EDIT- Changed Choice Specs to Choice Scarf upon request. I've finally found that it does its job much better with this change, thanks.

CHANGE: FOCUS BLAST TO AURA SPHERE.
I actually had aura sphere all along but I got it confused with the other move.

450.png
Hippowdon
Role: Physical Wall and Stockpiler
Nature: Impish
Ability: Sand Stream
Item: Leftovers
EV: 176 HP / 84 Def / 248 SpD
Moveset: Stockpilopotamus
- Stockpile
- Roar
- Slack off
- Earthquake
What particularly attracted me about this moveset was how it could take advantage from such a move as stockpile, improving it's already awesome defenses. To further add the awesomeness, it can use Slack off to recover itself, Roar to drive away set-up threats, and Earthquake for a STAB. He is there to expand my coverage against certain types, as well as give me a thunder and ground immunity, which seems to be the biggest threat to this team so far.

130.png

Gyarados
Role: Offensive Dragon Dancer
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Intimidate
Item: Life Orb
EV: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Moveset:
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Ice Fang
- Earthquake
Replaced Breloom
Gyarados' offensive Dragon dancer set. The Dragon Dance move boosts it's already high speed and attack, the other attacks are mostly for coverage, especially earthquake for Heatran or Jolteon (It's Jolly nature should allow it to outrun a Timid nature)

CHANGE: STONE EDGE TO ICE FANG
While Stone edge has much more power, it's plauged with its inaccuracy. Ice fang has 100% accuracy, and not only does the job of KOing Flying types, but also KOing Dragons with a possible 4x damage, and with Dragon Dance and Gyarados' already high attack stat, I think this change would be beneficial.

Closing Thoughts:
After testing this team out a bit over Shoddy, I think one its major problems is in dealing with Calm Mind/Dragon Dance sweepers. While they have the moves to cover it, they are often too slow or I keep failing to predict it to counter it, and the whole team just crumbles. I've also discovered that my team tends to have trouble dealing with fire and electric types, especially since my lead, sweeper, and my tank are all steel types, and there is also no way that I'll send Breloom against a fire type. This is essentially why I need your opinions, here, since I want advice on how to improve this team, or even start over all together.

EDIT After changing and testing out this new team, I've been finding that my results have been improving, though mostly against UU pokemon. I still feel like I'm having trouble against Rock and Steel leads.

Credits to Smogon for the movesets and EVs.

Last edited:
agreed. id take the bronzong out for a bulky water type such as milotic or politoed

Something such as Empoleon or Flygon could be a good addition to your team, and also getting rid of the fire weakness

Fire weakness, and 2 Stealth Rock users. Seems kind of unnecessary. If you are going to have two entry hazards, and two pHazers, you may as well try Spikes on Skarmory for extra hazard support.

Seed Bomb is NOT a Special Attack, by the way.

Both of your "Sweepers" have a common weakness, and aren't necessarily Speed demons, so any fast Fire Pokemon wrecks both of them *cough* Choice Scarf Heatran *cough*. On that note though, a well played Heatran and Gengar (Pain Split for Blissey, and Levitate to check Hippowdon) kind of take out your entire team.

I'd personally say, ditch Breloom for something that handles Fire Types a lot better (DD Gyarados?) and make Lucario either Calm Mind, or Endure/Salac/Reversal (Or maybe even just use Choice Scarf). Both of them take care of the Speed problem you have.

Milotic might be a good option with it's high special defense, I agree. On the other hand, can't Blissy be a good sponge for special attacks such as that?

You can't always rely on Blissey. Sure she's a sponge, but she can't be your ONLY defense.

Unless you are REALLY good at battling and your team is almost PERFECT like one of my OU teams, having one defense for a plethora of weaknesses.

I agree with DD Gyara. Even take my Gyarados's set, it'll help you a lot. It's a Bulky Rest Talking Gyarados with Dragon Dance and Waterfall as the attack.

Blissey can Toxistall Vappy, so you're ok there.

I haven't read all the posts OR any of your explanations, but I think that's a good idea. Just be careful of rocks.

EDIT:

NO TO MILOTIC. There are so many better choices out there now. Milotic is Under Used now for a REASON.

Interesting, I'm checking out Gyarados right now, and he seems like the perfect option for this team.

Now that you mention it, vanilla, two frail attackers would be a terrible idea, so a DD Gyarados might be a better option for Breloom and a Choice Scarf for Lucario.

I don't really understand the threat of Gengar, though. Sure, it a high-speed offensive threat, but wouldn't bulky, payback-using walls like Bronzor or Tyrannitar be able to take it out? Then again, it CAN use Focus Blast...

hp ice is special on bronzong, so it would have almost no power. I'd use foretress, with hippodon's sp. d boost to foretress, that thing could spike and explode/payback. That would worsten your fire weakness, but consider a flash fire poké, as tons of teamates would attract fire like crazy!!! Heatran maybe? HE would get the sp. d. boost from sandstorm.

hp ice is special on bronzong, so it would have almost no power. I'd use foretress, with hippodon's sp. d boost to foretress, that thing could spike and explode/payback. That would worsten your fire weakness, but consider a flash fire poké, as tons of teamates would attract fire like crazy!!! Heatran maybe? HE would get the sp. d. boost from sandstorm.

IIRC, only rock types get a special defense boost from sandstorm. In any case, Forretress wouldn't add much to the team because this team already utilizes several support pokemon.

crap your right. oh well. I still think heatran would help.

Okay, I replaced Bronzong and Breloom With a Choice Band Flygon and a Dragon Dancer Gyarados. I also replaced Lucario's choice specs item with Choice Scarf.

I've battled with this new team a few times, now. I think I'm getting closer, though one person I faced against mentioned that I should include a Late-Game attacker as oppose to two tanks. Thoughts?

I THINK you should look into my DDGyara set.

Banana (Gyarados) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP/176 Atk/60 Def/22 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Dragon Dance
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Waterfall

on lucario, I would replace focus blast with aura spere, which has a perfect accuracy and 90 power, which allows you to consitantly hit instead of it only 70% of the time. You have alot of weaknesses and not too many resistances, and blissey is usually only god on full stall, since otherwise it is set up bait.

Well, before the edits to the team, it wasn't so much that Gengar could take out your whole team, just that whatever Heatran couldn't handle, Gengar could.

I like the Flygon swap a lot for some reason. Be wary of having two choice users in your party, it can hold you back sometimes. Otherwise though, it looks like it is getting closer.

Fire Punch over either Outrage or Dragon Claw on Flygon. Otherwise, looks good.

Just 1 thing for Lucario: Replace Focus Blast with Aura Sphere. I know that Focus Blast is stronger, but most people don't use it because of its accuracy. Aura Sphere also has good PP (20), decent power (90) and never misses.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom