• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Rate My Team: An Instructional Room

Wispy Willow

Ducks
Reaction score
Well, it's taken me a while, but I have finally started to design a team for VGC 2017, and... I think it turned out rather well. Though there are probably plenty of things wrong with it, but that's what this thread is for, isn't it?

Anyway, the main theme of pretty much any VGC team I make is bound to be Trick Room, but while looking through the list of Trick Room 'mons (or at least the few that actually have low Speeds), I noticed that a certian 'mon by the name of Oranguru gets access to a certian interersing move called Instruct, which is what I kinda based my team around but not too much. As for the team in question... Well, here you go:

Oranguru
Item: Mental Herb
Ability: Telepathy
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Def, 4 Sp. Def
Nature: Relaxed
IVs: 0 Atk and Speed
Moves:
Future Sight
Protect
Instruct
Trick Room

Here's that 'mon I mentioned, Oranguru... As for why I am so interested in Instruct, well, what it does is it allows you to make a targeted 'mon use the last move they used again, while still being able to perfomf another attack this turn. That is kinda the whole idea about this team - to make use of this as mucha s possible - but other then that, it is a surprisingly bulky Trick Room setter, not much nore. Though Future Sight is for when there's a free turn (such as a 'mon switching in on a turn with Trick Room up for example) and Protect is there to keep this thing alive... Not that you'll see me use it that often, but that's besides the point.

Alolan Marowak
Item: Focus Sash
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Atk, 4 Speed
Nature: Brave
Moves:
Flare Blitz
Shadow Bone
Bonemerang
Swords Dance

And here's the first 'mon that can be used alongside Oranguru with Instruct, with the main game plan being to send Oranguru and this thing in on turn 1, hopefully get a Trick Room and Swords Dance up, then on turn 2 use Instruct to get another Swords Dance up and then probably kill something (which is the reason this doesn't have 0 Speed Ivs and that little bit of Speed investment - so that Oranguru outspeeds it in The Room). Though I'm thinking of maybe replacing Bonemerang with Earthquake at some point so I can have the chance to kill two things at once... Eh, I'll decide that later. Oh, and the Focus Sash is there to make sure it can get a Swords Dance up/to revenge kill something in the late-game.

Araquanid
Item: Sitrus Berry
Ability: Water Bubble
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Atk, 4 Def
Nature: Adamant
Moves:
Liquidation
Lunge
Substitute
Wide Guard

This 'mon... I'm not really sure I want to keep. I mean, it's really just a damage-dealer and it's really just OK at that... Though Sub could let it survive an otherwise-lethal hit and Wide Guard is Wide Guard, but still... Oh, and once again, the lack of 0 IVs in the Speed department and the Adamant Nature is so that this thing outspeeds Oranguru in The Room, though I'm not entirely sure if I should keep it that way.

Dhelmise
Item: Assault Vest
Ability: Steelworker
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Atk, 4 Sp. Def
Nature: Brave
IVs: 0 Speed
Moves:
Power Whip
Shadow Claw
Anchor Shot
Phantom Force

And here is the main reason I am hesitant to keep Araquanid - this thing just seems to be a better Trick Room Physical sweeper. Power Whip, Phantom Force and Anchor Shot for those tripple STABs, with Shadow Claw on there so I have a Ghost STAB to use when I can't afford to waste a turn/want to use Instruct. Not much more to say really... Though I am a tad sketchy on that item there.

Vikavolt
Item: Electrium Z
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Sp. Atk, 4 Sp. Def
Nature: Quiet
IVs: 0 Atk, 0 Speed
Moves:
Bug Buzz
Discharge
Hidden Power (Ice)
Volt Switch

I was origonally going to use Xutkitree in this slot, but it proved a little too fast for The Room, so I replased it with the best Route 1 Bug, with its job simply to do as much damage as possible. Bug Buzz and Discharge for STAB, Volt Switch for the ability to retreat and Hidden Power Ice for Garchomps and Salamences, since I seemd to be running into a lot of them... Though I'm not sure if I should use that or some other HP...

Drampa
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Berserk
EVs: 252 HP, 76 Def, 60 Sp. Atk, 120 Sp. Def
Nature: Relaxed
IVs: 0 Atk, 0 Speed
Moves:
Hyper Voice
Dragon Pulse
Flamethrower
Roost

And finally... This 'mon may have just been added to the team because I was looking for another Special attacker, but I found it to be a pretty good option to lead with if I think my opponent will lead with something good against Marowak. Hyper Voice and Dragon Pulse for STAB, Flamethrower for coverage and Roost for both recovery and the ability to prock Bereserk over and over again hopefully. Though I was thinking of maybe replacing it with another Trick Room 'mon... Eh, another thing I'll decide later.

As for how this works in action, I have some replays for you from when I was testing it on Showdown:

Anyway, any suggestions you may have would be welcome (not that I'll actually use them that is), particularly in regards to Dhelmise's item, whether I should keep Araquanid and whether I should use another Trick Room setter (and who that should be).Though if you want to suggest new 'mons for me to use, keep it to ones in the Alolan 'Dex since those are the only ones allowed in VGC 2017 if you weren't aware. Oh, and if you know of any creative ways Instruct could be used, then I'm all ears.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom