• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Rate My Team - Volt-Turn

TerraTF

Is Not A Moderator
Reaction score
Yes. Finally the great TerraTF, Master of the Universe, finally does an RMT on BMGf.

I'm not quite sure if I've done one here in the past, but otherwise its been about 2+ years since I've done one.

Alright so basics of the team. It was really the first team I've seriously built since I've started battling again. I decided to go with one of the easier teams to build, being a Volt-Turn team. I had a nice Volt-Turn team in 5th Gen right before I retired temporarily. This team today is the first Volt-Turn I've done without rain due to the Weather nerf. And without further ado, my Volt-Turn team.

Xatu @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 188 Def / 72 Spd
Bold Nature
- Psychic
- U-turn
- Roost
- Toxic

Wanted a Magic Bouncer, but since I didn't really understand the ability, I thought that it was basically Rapid Spin / Defog as an ability, Xatu didn't really get much use as it didn't pack too much of a punch. I only really used it against the pesky Poison and Fighting types.

Manectric @ Manectite
Ability: Lightningrod
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunder
- Flamethrower
- Protect

Wanted to go with an out of the left-field Mega for this team. Mega Manectric is dope as hell. Hits hard and hits fast. Never really used more than Volt Switch or Thunder simply because I never really ran into Aegislash during my tenure with the team. Protect was simply there to lock Choice users into the move they were using and gave me an idea of whether or not I wanted to switch.

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Night Slash
- Bug Bite

Probably one of my more favorite Pokemon to use on the team. Hit super hard, doing about half damage to most of what I fought. I sent Scizor in most of the time when I didn't want to send anything else in. Due to Scizor bulk though, it was able to take most hits.

Mienshao @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Fake Out
- Drain Punch
- Stone Edge

Powerhouse of the team here. Any major problem Meinshao took care of it. M-Charizard Y was reduced to nothing, Bisharp was useless, and any Talonflame not packing Gale Wings was dead instantly. I usually lead with Meinshao as sort of an Anti-Lead with Fake Out and then would U-Turn out of any situation I knew Meinshao couldn't handle. Dat Regenerator doe.

Heliolisk @ Damp Rock
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Dark Pulse
- Rain Dance
- Protect

Heliolisk is really just there. Never really did much. Never used it for Rain. Didn't hit hard. I tried to swap him out with a Pokemon like Crobat or Galvantula but I didn't get as great results. Decided to revert back to Heliolisk just because it was a Pokemon that could do quick damage. I guess a Water immunity helped.

Rotom-Wash @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Shadow Ball
- Dark Pulse

Speed demon of the team. Was meant to out speed most of the game. Even when Rotom-W was hit with Knock-Off I'd be fine with it. Its nice that Rotom has such an expansive moveset.

And my probably first RMT for BMGf comes to an end. If you like the team and want to test it out yourself you can just c/p the team from the spoiler tag below and import it into Showdown.

Xatu @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 188 Def / 72 Spd
Bold Nature
- Psychic
- U-turn
- Roost
- Toxic

Manectric @ Manectite
Ability: Lightningrod
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunder
- Flamethrower
- Protect

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Night Slash
- Bug Bite

Mienshao @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Fake Out
- Drain Punch
- Stone Edge

Heliolisk @ Damp Rock
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Dark Pulse
- Rain Dance
- Protect

Rotom-Wash @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Shadow Ball
- Dark Pulse

>any Talonflame not packing Gale Wings

That's just you, mate. Every competently-used Talonflame has Gale Wings. You probably want to stick Defog on something, as otherwise Galvantula really harshes your mellow, taking out Xatu, setting Web, and opening the way for something like Excadrill, KyuB, Haxorus, or MGyarados to sweep with Mold Breaker negating Rotom's levitate and setup opportunities found in your 2 Choicers.

People run Talonflame without Gale Wings?

I like that you're incorporating Xatu, it's such a cool and underappreciated 'mon, is it working out for you?

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom