• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Music Rate the Anime Song above! OP, ED & OST

7/10. Aria is one of those shows that I’ve always meant to get around to watch but never did. That slow jam was pretty nice, though it could just be that particular arrangement but it did feel like the vocals were competing against the instruments.

Anyways, here’s something radically different lol.

I’ve been jamming to this all day.

8.5/10 Way better than I expected it to be. Not sure why they decided to name the song Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, though.
7/10-Liked it better than I thought I would, but sounds a bit too much like a Vocaloid to me.

Well, this is definitely the opening theme to an anime like Digimon, alright. Lots of lyrics about the power of friendship and all of that. It almost makes Pokémon’s theme songs seem Shakespearean in comparison… I’m kidding, of course! We’re just as guilty of that over on our side. Anyway, this is entertaining enough for me, even with the Japanese rapping section (which is going to take a while for me to get used to, as I listen to more themes like this) and the presence of autotune (which I don’t think that I’ll ever get used to, even when it’s actually used in a decent way). 7/10.

And now for something completely different from that:

(With an alternate link in case the one above disappears for some reason, as often happens with songs like this.)

Pretty Cure! This is great — and kind of hilarious — because I was just in the middle of investigating this franchise not too long ago, including the OG series featured here. This is the opening theme, it seems, and if I have to be honest it sounds kind of… cheesy to me, I don’t know? Or maybe super sugary sweet would be a more accurate description. Sure, this is a magical girl series where the “power of friendship” is even more important here than usual, but still… yeesh! Not that it stops the song from being pretty fun and entertaining anyway, though, not just despite but maybe even because of all of the cheese and sugar (with all of the weird charm that it brings). And it does admittedly sell the protagonists pretty well as the ultimate friends who are not easily messed with, not just while quite literally kicking ass but also while doing, well… whatever Japanese schoolgirls do, I guess. Ugh! 7/10.

I had the opportunity to view the original Japanese version of the Sonic X anime (legit, even!), and it was quite the surreal experience compared to the 4Kids dub, similar to how it felt when I saw the Pokémon anime in its original form for the first time. That said, one of the things that stuck out most to me was how the music in the original version actually felt kind of lackluster to me compared to the dub (especially the opening theme, which is definitely superior with the latter; 4Kids was at least legitimately great with their music!). Which was surprising — and kind of disappointing, really — given the reputation of its parent franchise for awesome music, even in the worst of circumstances.

There was, however, one notable exception to that feeling for me:

(An alternate link — without a translation — can be found here.)

Last edited:
You can probably never go wrong with Joe Hisashi, or with most any music from the Studio Ghibli canon in general, really. Princess Mononoke was nothing short of an epic, and the main theme is utterly reflective of that with an epic composition and an appropriately grand and sweeping orchestral arrangement to match. That said, being more familiar with Hisashi’s more… succinct main themes for Nausicaä and Castle in the Sky — more so because I’ve watched those movies multiple times while only seeing Mononoke once — I can’t help but prefer their more compact compositions by a hair, as I feel that they both get the same level of emotions across in a shorter amount of time. Nonetheless, that’s not a knock on the power of Mononoke’s main theme itself, which is palpable indeed. With that said, 8.5/10.

I was tempted to post the main theme for Nausicaä in response, but that would’ve been too easy and a tad too on-the-nose, I think. So instead, I’ll go with the next best thing (the film’s big insert song, albeit one that never actually plays during the movie itself but rather over its original theatrical trailer):

7.5/10-I've always been more partial to Xros Wars than most Digimon fans.

Now from the same company just a different brand (and animation Studio)
KAMEN RIDER TIME!!

Edit: Updated the video here to Crunchyroll's version since the one I originally put here got copyrighted.

Last edited:
The opening animation itself is rather intriguing and exciting and this music is pretty fitting for it. I do think, however, that it has some trouble keeping up the energy on its own and kind of relies on the animation for that (I would’ve expected it to be the other way around, or neither in a truly ideal scenario). I was also admittedly kind of startled by the entire song being in (attempted) English, although there are also far worse examples of that around, to be sure. I’ll give it a fairly solid 7/10, I think.

First Japanese ending theme for Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters below (“Genki no Shower”):

(With an alternate link as usual, sans subtitles also as usual.)

8/10-This sounds so familiar.

Note: This song is a remix/remaster with change lyrics to the original opening of Kamen Rider W though this is used as an insert theme (the show Fuuto PI is based on), I'll placed the original song in here as well for those who like to compare.

Back
Top Bottom