• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Rate the last game you played

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Finished a game recently? Then let's hear your opinion about it! I'll start:

I recently finished Sam and Max Season 2. I'll rate it as 8,5. I enjoy Sam and Max a lot, and I believe this season not only had the best episode of the series so far (Chariot of the Dogs), which involved a lot of space and time traveling, but was also a big improvement over the already good Season 1, with lots of silly twists and a plot that arched over the episodes better. I also thought the jokes were more amusing but that may be because I now can appreciate the huge amount of satire of the series better than I did a few years ago. My biggest complaint I have with this season (and the last one) is that I felt like that there could have been a little more interaction via mini-games and such, despite it being a point-and-click game. So, if you like lots of action in your games, this one might not be for you.

Sonic: Lost World.
Despite mixed reviews I'd have to give it a 7.5. A tutorial would have been nice for all the new moves. The story was very good, especially considering we've had bare bones in terms of plot for the last couple games in the Sonic games. The controls were a bit wonky, especially concerning parkour. I'm not a fan of Wisps in general so I didn't enjoy them being shoved in here. I did like the design and cartoonish direction they chose to have; yes, it resembles Super Mario Galaxy, but it was a nice change of pace. They really upped character dialogue and reaction in this game, particularly highlighting Sonic's flaws throughout the game. I enjoyed Amy and Knuckles' inclusions as well. Overall, I prefer this to Generations and Colors, but Unleashed and both Adventures are my top favorites.

Guacamelee! Gold Edition (PC)

Beat the main story of this game, and while I am yet to fully complete it I think I have gotten a good enough insight to provide a review of this game.

A forewarning: like the game advises right at the first screen you see upon launching it, I wouldn't recommend this game at all for people with seizures. There's a lot of movement and rather harsh colours at play sometimes.

At any rate, this game is a mixture of genres: mostly, fighting/action and platforms, with a very tiny bit of RPG elements in the form of HP and Stamina bars that can be improved and costumes with different pros and cons. While it burrows elements from both main sources, I would say it is not too exigent in any: there's not too many moves to memorize, and yet battle flows well; at the same time, the platform sections are challenging, but not frustrating. The game does well in getting the normal difficulty right, although I'm yet to test just how well does the hard mode fare (unlocked after beating the game), although I'm willing to believe it is also well tuned.

The setting is great, but the story is rather bare-bones (pun intended). It works, though, and even if you dislike its elements the gameplay should be enough to keep you going. The style, like the setting, is also very good, with simple and colourful designs, and, while the graphics aren't top notch realistic (they resemble vector imagery) they are very sharp and flow well.

All in all, although there is a bit of lack of enemy types, there is plenty to do. I grabbed this one on a sale for 3,74€ (~5 dollars?) and it's definitively been giving me more hours of fun than some more expensive games I've purchase in the past. I rate it 9/10.

Last edited:
It's not exactly beat yet, cause there's oh so much content to go through but I think I have a solid enough opinion anyways!

Senran Kagura Burst 7/10

The reason why I give it a seven though is solely for the fact I have a soft spot for Beat Em Up titles, and like most titles the formula in regards to fighting is always the same mash a few buttons to make your way through the levels and proceed with the story. But in regards to it's story there is a lot of content, so much in fact this game adopts a visual novel style to tell it all. I seriously don't think the visual novel style fits, but it did help tell the story albeit in a odd manner. Then there's the fan service this game offers, I honestly didn't mind it but admittedly it does get to a point where it's just ridiculous really. So overall it is a solid game, but I think it would only appeal to those who honestly like Beat Em Up titles and can put up with fanservice to an extent.

Fire Emblem Awakening: 9/10

It is most likely because I've never played a game of this genre before, and it is a fresh experience for me. The story is a bit cheesy IMO, but definitely better than most of the games I've played. The graphics are excellent, there are lots of memorable moments (Such as all the character's critical hit lines), and you get to make your own avatar. Overall, the only reason I'm giving it a nine out of ten is because no game is perfect.

Well, this is not exactly a game that can be finished, and the game is not exactly finished either, but since the open Beta recently started and I've been playing for while, I'll talk to you about: Hearthstone! I'll make sure to update this review upon release of the game, of course, or otherwise it wouldn't be fair.

This is a card game made by Blizzard in the vein of Magic The Gathering, except that it's super simplified. It's set in the Warcraft universe, but even those who are not familiar with it should not have a problem, since the game has no story to speak of. The game is what you call "easy to learn, hard to master". You'll usually have an easy time picking the basics via the tutorial - although the last mission might be hard for some, but don't give up! -, and you can practice against the AI whenever you want, to help you build a deck. I'm usually not an advocate of copying decks, but since at first you'll only have basic cards and to avoid being too stomped (even if "casual", it IS still a PvP game, making your first experiences possibly negative, I'd recommend giving Icy-veins' basic decks a whirl, to get the feeling of how to build your own later down the road, as well as their guide for new players).

Now, unto technicalities! Since this game is in Beta, there's still some bugs and such as you'd expect. Just make sure to visit the forums' technical section to get to know the most common ones. Just... don't stay in those forums too much. The community in those is nothing to brag about, although some people might help you with your queries after you get some "l2p" replies. Ahem. Anyway, this is a bit of a "budget" game, seeing as how it's intended for a casual public and the team that made it is small. Still, it looks shiny enough, and the cards have, generally, good artwork and effects (dem foils <3). Oh, and don't forget to mess with the board, by clicking around. ;) Sound-wise, the game is not impressive, and, unless you like the things minions say, you might get bored of the background music - as far as I know, there's only a single track playing on loop.

As for gameplay, there are two main modes: Constructed aka Play and Arena. Constructed is the game mode in which you use the decks you make via "My Collection", and Arena is basically a premium (you pay to enter either with gold or $$$) draft mode - you pick one of three heroes (there are nine in total), then get 3 cards and pick one until you have a 30 card deck. It's fun, but a little stressful, especially since you are basically gambling your hard-earned gold! However, it should be noted that you ALWAYS get a card pack (worth 100 gold), so, if you win a couple times, you might get your other 50 gold back, or some gold and dust (arguably more valuable than gold in some cases). Speaking of dust, I won't delve into details of the crafting system, but there IS one, to help you get a card or two that you might be missing for your deck without relying on RNG.

Rest assured, there are still some balance problems in my opinion, and playing against Legendaries can be disencouraging especially using certain classes that lack "hard removal" (eg. spells that completely remove a minion, regardless if they have a protection mechanic called 'Divine Shield' or not, or even if they are beyond a taunt, a mechanic that makes it so that your minions must attack the minions with taunt), but, that's life, I suppose... They balanced the system so that you can win ~50% of your games, though, so you still get to have some balanced matches - and let's face it, if there's someone with legendaries playing against your basic deck you must be doing something right, since you'll have a similar win rate! As for the free-to-play model, it's OK, you get packs with some frequency, although I still think the system could be just a wee little more rewarding; maybe if they end up setting up some cosmetic transactions (right now you can only buy packs) they'll get enough money to improve the rewards F2Pers get.

Well, enough rambling! The game is free, so, regardless of what I said, if you are interested please do try it for yourself, and if you need help, I do know a few things about the game, even if I am no pro. :-D

Demon's Souls. 10/10 - I had a blast playing the game. Great visuals, great atmosphere, absolutely terrific gameplay and amazing music. Demon's Souls brought to life (or better, death) some of the greatest levels I've seen in gaming, those being Tower of Latria, Valley of Defilement and (to some extent), Boletarian Palace. It definitely have some problems, like unbalanced bosses (some are quite hard, like the Maneater, others are a joke, like Leechmonger and Dirty Colossus), but the whole package feels like a complete experience and the pros heavily outweigh the cons, so I think it deserves a perfect score. I can't wait to play the spiritual sequel, Dark Souls, but this one I will play on my gaming PC, which I am not finished building yet.

Sam and Max Season 3

The best Sam and Max experience yet! I still have to play the oldie Hit the Road, but damn. The story, despite its many silly twists (which make it unpredictable), was a lot more cohesive than previous installments, the jokes were at their best, you can notice a great improvement in the voice acting, the graphics took a small leap and the better animations make the characters more expressive, there were new gameplay mechanics... list could go on. I'm on the fence about recommending this for people who haven't played the series yet - on one hand, this is the best season so far, and you don't really have to play previous one to understand it (other than the occasional "where did he/she come from?"), but at the same time, it might spoil you and make the previous seasons less enjoyable than what they actually are. At any rate, great point-and-clicker (not that I'm an expert :p), 9/10

Yoshi's Island - 9/10.

There are some shitty levels in the game, but overall it is amazing. I love the music and the art direction, plus the bosses are really fun to battle.

9 hours, 9 persons, 9 doors

I'm going to have to give this game 9,99 out of 10! Joking aside, it was a fairly cool experience, the story was amazing and so were the characters. Still, I wouldn't recommend it to just about everyone. Exceptions would be people who hate games with lots of text and not enough action - sure enough, there's quite some puzzles to solve, but the story and its text are the big deal - and/or people who are sensible in regards to blood, gore and their ilk. There's death, there's blood, there's descriptions that go a little too much into detail, and the atmosphere is horror-y. Though, I consider myself a scaredy cat and I didn't find it too bad, so there's that.

Anyway, like I said, fairly swell game that deserves to be checked out. You have 9 hours left to find a copy... hehe. :)

Professor Layton Vs Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: 8/10

After years of waiting, I'm a bit disappointed that I finished the game so quickly, but it was still worth the wait. Just seeing Layton, Luke, Phoenix and Maya all working together made the game for me. (Especially great to see Maya again, since she's been missing from every game outside of the original PW trilogy)

The two gameplay styles blended together very nicely, though the Layton puzzles were too easy compared to the ones from the main games, and I would have like to have seen at least one more trial; the game feels 65% Layton and 35% Phoenix Wright rather than an equal mix between the two. Perhaps a few Psyche Lock puzzles during the Layton parts would have evened the odds.

The dialogue is up to par with the best from Ace Attorney, Shu Takumi didn't disappoint at all. Probably my favourite moment in the game was:

When Layton became the prosecutor for the last trial, (which was too awesome for words, by the way) and you had to present evidence he had found. I deliberately messed up to see what Phoenix said, and he was only too happy to see the prosecution screw up for a change and rub its face in its mistake. (Even though Layton is his friend) It was glorious to see after being in control of poor Phoenix whenever he made a mistake and everyone was so mean to the poor man.

So overall, I would highly recommend the game to anyone that loves either series, just don't expect to be playing the main story for over a year.

Yakuza 4 - 7.5/10
the game is great, the combat can get repetitive at times but the story is brilliant, the 4 main characters are likeable and interesting
the overall story is full of plot twists and there is alot of minigames, also worth mention that the cut scenes are really good but the graphics are crearly dated

ace combat assault horizon - 8/10
this game has been bashed by the ace combat veterans because is clearly not a flying simulator, and they are right, this is not in any way a flying simulator
but instead is an arcade flying game, and is awesome, the mechanics are good, the DogFightingMode (DFM) is really good, i can understand some people may hate
it but i love it, is just really satisfying to blow up an enemy jet upclose, the story is generic at best, and the multiplayer is a little above average, sadly is kinda dead

I just played Mount and Blade: Warband. I got it a while ago and I would rate it 9/10. It's a magnificent open world game, but it could have better quests and graphics. Other than that it's perfect.

Grand Theft Auto 5 - 8/10

Being more of a Saint's Row guy, the pressure from my friend got me to try this out. The story is amazing, there's no doubt about that. The characters feel real as does the world, the only thing that doesn't give it a 10 is the gameplay. It's fun and shit, but controls feel too clunky in air vehicles and even just getting to the right cover when being shot at could equal you dying once or twice, lmao. Plus the police could do with some nixing, they're way too OP and take the fun out of free roam. Most of the love goes to the three main characters though, it sucks now that its over.

Professor Layton and the Curious Village

Better late than never, eh? Before getting carried away by the 3DS hype, I still managed to finish this one. I was positively surprised by the inclusion of voice acting and anime sequences, something I hadn't seen on a DS game before (though I did find voice acting in FFIV which I started more or less at the same time - talk about coincidence!). Other than that, I enjoyed the simple story and the atmosphere, which slightly reminded me of Miyazaki's works. As for the meat of the game, the puzzles... I can't say I loved them, as I found them boring especially during a lull that existed midgame. I don't know, maybe I wasn't being sharp enough but most were tedious (exclude options) and/or trial and error instead of offering a challenge of logic. For that, I will give the game 7/10, and I hope that the sequels improve on this, even if they have been released ages ago. :p

Final Fantasy VI. Truly a lovely game. God tier soundtrack. God tier antagonist. Fun characters. Also god tier protagonist (Terra, I mean). Great graphics for its time. The only thing I don't like that much is the battle system. It isn't bad, but there are far better battle systems in the Final Fantasy series. But still, amazing experience. Lastly, Dancing Mad has to be one of the most pumping final boss themes out there. 10/10.

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call

19/10 guys, this game is amazing.
You think you don't have a life now? No no, compared to having this game, you have somewhat of a life now. But once you get this game, once you hold it and let it seduce you, then you forfeit that life. Nothing. You will have nothing, but an increasingly difficult urge to ignore. Play me, play me, play me.

One.More.Crown.

Earthbound 8.2 - 9.1

Story was great, each charachter building area enemy or NPC was unique. Combat was unique, and the music was all around amazing.
Overall, if you haven't played this classic, you should.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom