• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Rate the last game you played

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance - 9/10

Out of all of the Fire Emblem games I've played (4, 7, 8, and 13 being the others I've played), this one is absolutely my favorite. It has good amounts of strategy, ways to catch up characters if you really need it, which is also based off of how well you do in missions. The story is one of the simpler ones, making it one of my favorites storywise. It has frustrated me, but in a good way. I needed to figure out how to outsmart the game. How to make my units unbeatable.

Absolutely fantastic. If you like Fire Emblem, you should play it. If you've never played Fire Emblem, you should play it.

I just got a Playstation 2, since I hear it is just an updated version of the original Playstation. I have never owned a Playstation console before (oh my God, I'm such blasphemous fiend!!). I have a PSP, but I've never owned a console to hook up to the TV. Anyways, I got a PS2 at a flea market and bought some games for it.

I am currently playing Crash Bandicoot. This is the first time I have ever played that game, and I really like it. I am a sucker for cute, light-hearted platforming fun. It doesn't seem like it is there to take itself seriously, which I like. Nothing grotesque or eye-roll inducing. Just good fun.

9/10

7/10 goes to Trap Master.

It's an online flash game I think, you can play from a couple monsters and you gotta protect your "precious Doom Chest" from Indy these raider guys. Set up traps, upgrades, blah blah. It loses points for being kinda repetitive and gets boring after about wave 20, but I keep coming back to it when I'm bored so it's always cool for killing time.

As for a real game, good ol' Mega Bomberman on the Sega Megadrive. 10/10 so hilarious and stunning.

The last most recent game I played was Mario and Sonic at the London Olympic Games. I give it a 8/10, pretty fun and good family entertainment.

I just got a Playstation 2, since I hear it is just an updated version of the original Playstation.
It is not. It is a completely different system with different games. Congratulations, anyway, you got one of (if not) the best video game consoles ever created.

Anyway, last game I finished was Kirby's Nightmare in Dreamland. Cute, but absurdly repetitive and boring. I give it a 4/10.

I finally got around to finishing Dual Destinies, and I'd give it a 8/10. I love the characters, and the story entirely I just feel the final culprit was a bit of a letdown. I do love how the trials tied in with one another though. So overall it's a fantastic game worth every penny spent on it.

Okami (Wii version)-9.99/10

Great game. Beautiful art, beautiful music, good story, awesome game mechanic in the form of the Celestial Brush and great gameplay. The only ways this game disapoints slightly is A: the fact that the Celestial Brush uses the Wii's pointer can make it hard to use your techneques (it tends to argue with you as to what defines a circle for example) and B: the Reflector weapon type can be hard to use as a main weapon (though it's quite efective as a sub weapon) and the Glaive I find hard to use in genrel, though those are only slight disapointments. If you're into Japanese RPGs, Zelda (particularly Twilight Princess) or just a good game then GO BY THIS GAME!!! Also, it's on the PS2 and PS3 incase you're not a Nintendo fanboy like me.

Virtue's Last Reward

If I were to limit this review to one phrase, I would say that Zero Escape managed to mindfuck me again.

Starting with the technicalities. I enjoyed the use of the 3D models, although I sorta missed the "drawn" CGs for some of the key moments, where they mostly used 3D ones instead. The music was nice as per usual and the Japanese voice acting (my version was European) was top-notch. The use of 3D was okay, it didn't make me go "wow", but it was a decent option for those who enjoy that functionality in the 3DS.

I can't get into the story too much, for otherwise I will risk spoiling others, so I'll just say that it was twisty and at times very emotional (two words: Luna's Route), but above all else it was rather well written, in my opinion. The puzzle segments were a nice evolution compared to 999's, as they offered more of a challenge and there was no need to repeat them, unless you wanted to collect the golden files present in each segment that reward you with some extra info on the setting and allowed you to unlock an extra ending.

In addition, it was both nice and depressing to see old characters return, but actually one of my complaints regarding the game goes back to one those - Clover. I never liked her much in 999, mostly due to personal preference, but in VLR she felt unnecessary and dumbed down, almost as if she were only present for the fanservice. At least she provided the occasional giggle. Speaking of things 999 did better, I can't help but feel like VLR's atmosphere was inferior. Perhaps it was the use of colours (they felt a bit too washed down to me, in comparison to 999's), or the lack of slight horror elements. Funnily enough, those elements were my biggest turn off before playing 999, but now I understand that they added a good deal of tension and a sense of urgency that quite worked well.

All in all, Virtue's Last Reward a very good Visual Novel blended nicely with puzzles that make it more interactive; however, it begs for a sequel to answer some questions, and if it never gets one its value might decrease. I give it 8/10.

I just finished Donkey Kong Country 2 (GBA) recently, and I would give it a 8/10. I found it to be satisfyingly challenging, there is a good amount of variety to the levels, the backgrounds are detailed, the characters are animated nicely, and the music sounds great (I especially like Steel Drum Rhumba). I know there are people who prefer the SNES version, but I gotta give this one props for allowing players to save at any time, rather than being forced to get through a few levels before they can save. However, I cannot say that the game is for everyone though, as the game can be pretty tough, more so than the first Donkey Kong Country, so if you found that game to be too difficult as it is, I wouldn't recommend playing Donkey Kong Country 2. If you can put up with the challenge, however, I would say that the experience is worth a look.

Just finished Metroid Prime (part one of the Prime Trillogy disk for the Wii) so I figured I'd post here.

Well, I'm not really a fan of first person shooters or games with suspenceful atmospheres, but after playing this game I see that they can be done pretty f***ing well. The music was great, perfectly fitting the mood of the location/battle that it played in to create the aforemantioned suspenceful atmosphere, such as the Magnoor Caverns theme or the Chozo Ruins theme, the art style fit with said music really well (even if it was pretty dark,) the story was good (even though there's not much to it unless you decide to scan the Chozo scripts,) the controls were mostly tight (even though I sometimes confused the jump button with the shoot button when I first started playing) the switching weapons/visors mechanic, while it can occasionally be annoying (such as the Omega Pirate battle) was a good one, the Morph Ball sections were a nice change of pace from the first person shooting for me, and there were a lot little touches to the visor that made the game that much more imersive; for example, when you are in a steamy enviroment your visor steems up, when you emerge from water/lava a few drops cling to the visor for a second or two, and, my favourite, if an explosion goes off close enough you can see the reflection of Samus in the visor. However, it does have a few issues, like the backtracking, and the other back tracking, and the more backtracking, and the backtrackng to collect the Artifacts and that final bit of backtracking.

All-in-all, Metroid Prime is a great game with good control scheme, great music, good art style, good story and great attention to detail. However it does have it's drawbacks: backtracking and more backtracking (and this is from someone that dosen't mind backtracking.) I give it a rating of 9/10. Now, with Prime One down, it's time for Prime Two and Three...

Last edited:
Tomodachi Life: 7/10

A cute little game where your Miis can talk and have personalities, so putting in Miis you made of your family or fictional characters can make for some pretty interesting situations (like Ganondorf playing Wii U with Dwayne Johnson, or Twilight Sparkle marrying Ash Ketchum). For the most part, I am planning to collect every food, interior, clothing, hat in the game. I've yet to run into people on StreetPass, but if I do, my import item is the "Starry Hat" (a white top hat with colored stars).

People will complain that the game won't let you decide who to pair up, and that even canon couples end up not becoming "Sweethearts", but me, I tend to be a total suck-up as I say yes to everything they say, as it raises their happiness level and gets you money to buy more food, interiors and clothes.

Ironically, Fluttershy's "All-Time Fave Food" is...buffalo wings.

I just completed the 3DS e-Shop title SteamWorld Dig so I figgured I'd post here again (I really did, it's just I'm a fast worker when it comes to games.)

This game is actually very good, especially considering I got it for around 8 bucks (well, it was actually on special, so the non-special price comes to around 16 bucks.) The story is basicly dig deeper, but for a platformer (or at least I think it's a platformer) that's OK. The gameplay is what really sells it, however. In that department it's kinda like a fusion of the origonal Kid Icarus without falling being an instant death and Digg Doug (not that I've played that game, I'm just going from what I've heard about it.) You have to *ahem* dig your way around an underground mine while avoiding enemies, traps and boulders of innstant death, which can get very challenging at times. As for music, well, besides the awesome title theme the soundtrack is OK. The digging mechanic, which does what you'd think it would do-let you dig through the terrain of the mine-is very well-done, though it can be frustrating, especially combined with the other main mechanic: the light mechanic, which basicly means you have a limited amount of light, with the distance you can see getting smaller every second you are in the mine, turning everything besides the background and anywhere lit by a lamp (which are not common at all) into a black silhouette when it goes out completely. This mechanic can be pretty annoying , considering it helps to actually be able to see if a boulder of instant death will fall on you if you dig in a certian location. Fortunately the amount of time you have befeor said blackout can be upgraded, like all of your gear, by paying a certian amount of orbs and money, which you can get by mining. There is one other thing I find an issue with: the length; I managed to complete this in half a day (I was, admitadly, playing non-stop, but that's besides the point.) I know I shouldn't complain about the length of an e-Shop title, but still...

All-in-all, SteamWorld Dig is a great game, but it does have some flaws, namely the light mechanic and the 'meh' music. However, the rest of the gameplay more than makes up for that, and, consitering the fact that it's an e-Shop title, it is actually quite long. So by it before the deal ends, because at it's current 8 bucks it's a steal. I give it a rating of 7.5/10.

Last edited:
Dragon's Crown: 9/10

A classic arcade styled beat em up game with classic high fantasy elements. Difficulty is well balanced, classes are well made and balanced for the most part, music is divine and the artwork is very well made and detailed. Game play can get repetitive since there are only so many kinds of enemies and only 9 different stages but alternating boss battles and playing with another class keeps it fresh and satisfying. RPG elements bring back nice memories with how the skill development works. The homage and parody to classic fantasy tropes and works is one of the best parts of the game; fighting beasts from classic mythology, an over the top narrator that brings the thought of a pen and paper RPG, classic fantasy characters played refreshingly straight and fighting the killer rabbit from Monty Python. A definite must play if you like beat em up arcade games, high fantasy and RPG games.

Borderlands 2 (PC): 9.5/10

I've lost interest in FPS games since my last play with the Counterstrike when I was in high school 10 years ago. But Borderlands 2 brought back the fire of interest I have with the genre; still not interested in CoD though. My favorite thing about BL2 is the RPG element. It easily won my heart over it and made me feel like I'm playing an MMORPG instead. The writing is humorous, clever and witty. I instantly liked the villain "Handsome Jack". I love his punchlines! And Tiny Tina; she's awesome! BL2's graphic artstyle is quirky and very likeable. I'm very much looking forward for the upcoming prequel of the game.

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time

An almost 11-year old game, but I know we all love retro games, too. ;) This is an action-platformer with adventure-game elements of the PoP franchise (obviously) from Ubisoft. The game can be fun to play at times, but I also found it rather repetitive with too much platforming for my tastes.

Many of the platforming puzzles involve running across & bouncing off walls, jumping off poles & ledges, and stepping on floor panels & pulling hanging levers to open doors. Then reach a save point to experience of vision of how to overcome the next set of platforms - similar to something like Ocarina of Time in the 3DS remake - and then continue on until you reach the next save point. There is the hack n slash combat against groups of enemies to take a break from the platforming, but that is also rather shallow. It's just the same handful of different human and animal sand creatures that may seem like they just don't stop coming after you at first, but only require side-stepping until you take smaller groups at a time and then jump over and air-strike certain ones or block and counterattack. It does have the interesting mechanic of being able reverse time to undo your mistakes if you mess up with the dagger of time until you run out of sand slots that can be recharged and added with more.

The game is certainly a must play for platforming fans, and still probably worth playing for the story alone - only once. The game has no replay value whatsoever, other than if you just want to experience it again, anyway, especially since it lacks a difficulty setting.

If it weren't for the plot twist at the end, I probably would have given this game a 5/10; but now the storyline sets it above average for me, and certainly higher for fans of the genre. 6/10

Last edited:
Far Cry 3: 7/10

Has a great atmosphere and lots to do. The controls are a bit sloppy and i'm still not a fan of first person shooters but it definitely managed to hook me. The storyline is pretty basic, you get held captive while on a holiday on a remote island. One by one you have to rescue your friends from the pirates. It's quite challenging. Definitely harder than I expected but as the game progresses and you build up your skills and inventory, it gets a lot easier. I haven't played the co-op yet but I intend to do that very soon with my brother. Haven't played any of the other FC games but I will be buying 4 when it's released on the PS4.

Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn - 7/10

I have quite a few opposing feelings about this game, so first, the good. Gameplay mechanicswise? It's probably my favorite Fire Emblem ever. It improved upon the skill system brought in in Path if Radiance and made if so much better. Trying out different skill combinations is always a fun time. Three tier promotions are really cool and make me feel like my team is full of proper badasses, especially with the ridiculously overpowered mastery skills (x3 damage on an attack which also has a chance of putting that enemy to sleep? Ok then). And this game is a proper challenge. Even on easy (which is a bit if a misnomer since it was Japan's normal mode) makes me have to stop and think about what I'm doing. This is where the vast majority of the points I'm giving it come from.

And now the neutral. I like the switching perspectives aspect if the game. Somewhat. It makes me feel a bit disoriented, and a bit less attached to characters than I normallly would be.

And now the bad. Some of the things if removed that were introduced in PoR are just dumb. The smallest of these are the magic swords. It's not the biggest thing, but it makes one character that much harder to use. Another thing is support conversations, which might as well be nonexistent with how they are in this game. Which will be something I'll get into a. little bit more. I also just don't like the plot that much. Compared to the relative simplicity of PoR's story, Radiant Dawn's is just a complicated mess. And one small thing is the availability if some characters. Some characters show up once when they're overpowered, and they come back when akk of your characters way outclassed them. The next big thing (and Imho the biggest issue) are the characters. The characterization of most of the non-main characters is nil. Without support convos that are more than "Don't die" "I'll protect you", returning characters barely get any sort of new characterization, and the new characters get barely any to begin with. If you asked me ti describe the new characters you get in the beginning of the game, I honestly couldn't tell you one thing. And no support convos is really just a crime. They're one of my favorite parts! And I'm not overly fond of the new main character or the "we want him to be a main character with a plot promotion and everything, but we're not gonna make his class anything different from the other thief you get. Mike's still the man though.

Tl;Dr? A fun, long game, but do go in expecting too much of the plot and characters (imo of course)

Gravity Rush (PS Vita) - 7/10

So I just beaten the game 12 hours ago (4am). The game is beautiful with a nice and unique gameplay. I love floating around, collecting gems. What I didn't liked though is the frustrating combat controls. It was 4am and I feel so uneasy and couldn't go to sleep if I won't finish the game. But I was already so frustrated with the final boss combat. Fortunately after 2 tries or gameovers, I finally did it. The combat system can somewhat be unreliable. The enemies have a weak spot usually on their back so basically you'll simply just hit it but when the enemy is moving and flying and you have to keep up. That's where things could really get frustrating. There's a move called gravity kick which has a lock on feature but it is so unreliable. Your character's aim or camera angles changes as you move your vita and/or the left thumb stick. I just wish they made this simpler.

Now other than the combat, I never had problems with the game. The story is told in a nice comic style and has beautiful environment; although not colorful. There were some characters in the game that I thought were dull (they come and go and doesn't really give an appeal) but I don't really mind.

Overall, I think it's a good game to own if you have a vita but it could really have used more improvements especially in the combat system.

Just cleared Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl so I figgured I'd post here (again.)

Since I bought this game it has just rocketed up my all-time favourite JRPGs list (only surpassed by Dragon Quest 8 and Fire Emblem: Awakening.) Oh, what to talk about first? ...I think I'll start with my favourite aspect of this game: the misic.... Actually, I think I'll get to that later along with another aspect of the game. Anyway, another thing that I like is the way the game looks: it looks simple in Etria (i.e, the game's hub,) with the only grapics being various backgrounds and sprites, and that works surprisingly well. However in the Labyrinth it just looks beautiful, there's nothing else to say. Anyway, on to the next thing, the cutscenes. The there are two types of cutscenes in this game, one is just text discribing what happens, which I find cool because it makes you feel like you're playing a book... or something. The other type is one that is (I assume) exclusive to Story Mode and, dispite the fact that they are only used near the start and end of the game, they are still pretty dam impressive. The start-up movie is one of these cutscenes, so let me just post a video of it here:
[video=youtube;Niu4lCglHSI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Niu4lCglHSI[/video]
See what I mean. If that didn't make you want to play the game (or at least try the demo) I don't know what will. Also, that intro, along with being the rare kind that I watch EVERY SINGLE TIME on start-up, also gives you a good idea about the music: it's gorgeous... Just goregeous (for the most part.) Now onto the next thing: the gameplay. There are two modes to choos from: Story and Normal. The difference between is basicly this: you get to create your own characters in Normal, while in Story you're stuck with the Highlander (i.e, your avatar,) Fredrica, Raquna, Simon and Arthur. The gameplay will be familiar to players of JRPGs; first, you create your characters (if you're playing in Normal Mode.) There are various classes you can pick which each have certian skills that do certian things like healing or lowering the opponent's stats/raising your own or causing a status effect or hitting multiple targets or doing elemental damage... You get the idea. The combat is turn-based, with the options there being use a regular attack, use a Skill, use an item, 'Boost,' which I assume gives a damage boost to your next attack, defend and escape (though that last option is NOT recomended unless you're fighting an opponent you absolutely can't handle.) I'm not going to go in any deeper than this because that would take way to long... Though there is one more thing I would like to takl about gameplay-wise: thye fact that you (mostly) have to draw your own maps, which I like because it means if you get lost it's your own falt for making a terrible map. Anyway, onto the last thing I'm going to cover: the story. The story is also pretty complex, so I'm not going to spoil anything for you, but I will say that it is very good, as are the characters (with the exception of the Looker clone.)

*Whew,* that took a while. Anyway, all-in-all, EOU is a beautiful game with a good story, good gameplay, great music and an all-round score of 8.75/10 from me.

Last edited:
Shovel Knight (3DS) - 9/10

Shovel Knight is a love letter to the NES games. It's a wonderful mashup of Zelda II/Megaman/Castlevania with a Super Mario Bros 3 style of overworld map. But I think Megaman is the closest game it resembles with all the bosses and power ups you obtain in their levels. The presentation of the game is excellent. It probably is the most beautiful 8-bit inspired game. The music although not excellent is still good. I love the theme for each bosses and their levels. It's clever and witty. Perhaps my most favorite experience from the game are the boss battles. Each boss has an interesting way of battling. Although sometimes frustrated to beat like Spectre Knight (my favorite boss) and Tinker Knight. I especially love the twist before the final boss battle. Outside boss levels, the exploration or the Zelda II-ish element of the game is good too. However I wish it was more integrated in the game. There isn't really that much interaction done other than buying items or gears from NPCs. I'm not sure how it would be implemented but I thought having side quests aside from music sheet collecting would be great.

I think it's very worth mentioning about the FEATS. They're basically like trophies or achievements. I'm not sure why Nintendo never implemented this on their games but I love that element. It adds to the replay value of the game. I haven't really experienced the Streetpass feature of the game so I can't comment on that. But I heard it was greatly implemented. In conclusion, it's a very good game if you enjoyed classic platformer games like Megaman. It's challenging and rewarding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom