• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Rate the last game you played

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fallout 3: 8.5/10

I haven't completed this one yet. I really haven't gotten very far. However, it's been a decent ride for the most part. While it was kind of agonizing while I was still trying to figure things out (getting killed a lot, not knowing good places for loot, broken weapons and being broke in general), now that I've gained some momentum, it's enjoyable. It's too bad that most of it is so brown-colored, it hurts my eyes. Oh, and the title theme is stuck in my head. Good thing, though, because I like it.

Earthbound.

Very good classic RPG game. I only just started playing it since yesterday but it's so fun that I have spent at least 7 hours playing it!

Pokemon Alpha Sapphire- 8/10

Story wise, it was a great game. Aftergame though? I don't have much to work with, so I just use it now for Wondertrade Wednesdays more than anything.

Lost Dimension (Vita) 8.5/10

Gameplay - Pretty solid mission based combat/story. Where you position each character determines who they attack defend and get assists from. Only downside is on the enemies turn you cant skip past all their combat animations like assists and counters which can sometimes last FOREVER.

Graphics - Really nice art style taken for the whole game. The dialogue sprites all look great when speaking. The battle sprites are amazing. Even when you switch the costume being worn or they are attacking they look solid. No glitchy cuts or loss of detail.

Story - Really interesting story. The game starts out with the premise that the whole plot is about stopping "The End" from ending the world in 13 days. As you progress through the missions it becomes clear that the story is really about you and your teams missing memories and how they all know one another. The absolute best part is that at each stratum you have to weed out a traitor in your group. The traitor is randomly generated so no one playthrough is the same. You really have to pay attention to what your teammates say and perform "visions" to figure out who it is. The only thing that stopped me from giving this game a high score is the fact that it was designed to make you play it multiple time to finish the story. Not get a better ending but actually finish the story line.

Other then long enemy turns and having to play multiple time to finish the story line its a really great game and you should definitely try it if you have a Vita or PS3.

Freedom Planet.
10/10.
"Like Sonic if Sonic was good. And focused on combat. Actually, it isn't Sonic at all." -Me

Team Fortress 2: 9.5/10

There's literally almost nothing bad to say about TF2 that you can blame Valve on. They care about the game and its fans, and it's helped it survive for seven years - and it's still one of the most popular online games out there.

The Twisted Tales of Spike Mcfang - 8/10

The game is fun, charming, and has great music. However, combat is a little repetitive, and it's pretty short. Overall, it's really good, but I wish it lasted a little more. Or rather much more.

Halo 3 – 8/10

This game arguably has the best combat and gameplay in the series. However the story doesn't hold up IMO. To me it felt like the "Return of the Jedi" or "The Dark Knight Rises" of the Halo series – a good installment, but one that feels like a rehash of old story ideas rather than offering new ideas.

Halo 3 also felt particularly short and lacking in single player content. None of the Halo games have particularly long campaigns, but this one just felt like it went by much faster than the others. Overall a good game, but one that could have been significantly improved had the story been better.

Halo 4 – 9/10

Great game. The story is much better this time around, although it's more of a standalone story than a continuation of the story from the previous games. The combat is still great and the gameplay is significantly more challenging this time around. I like how this installment focuses more on the Forerunners and their history, which was something that was lacking detail before. And as always there are a lot of new fun and unique weapons you can use.

Kirby Mass Attack - Quite the creative game, but the controls aren't that great... They are clever, I guess, but not as responsive as I wanted them to be. The musics are composed by the Mother 3 composer, Shogo Sakai! So the OST is pretty good. And the best part are the boss fights, which are all clever and creative, making use of the game's unique mechanics. Lastly, the game is adorable, as it is to be expected from Kirby.

Amnesia Memories (Vita) - 9/10

Amnesia is an Otomate game that was not localized for the US until this year. You start out with no memories of your past and have to choose the world that feels "right" to you and gain back your memories without anyone finding out about your amnesia. I was very suprised with all the diversity in each playthrough just because you have the same beggining each time. There are 5 Good, 5 Normal, and 16 Bad endings. They are all unique and intersting so its worthwile to try and get them all. There were only two endings I truly didnt like and that was because Toma is a mentally unstable MOFO and the game tried to justify his atrocious actions. All of the characters are distinctly unique in their personallitys so it made reading all the dialouge really fun. Waka was hands down the best character in the game. In each world he has a different personality that's to the extreme. The art was very well done and looked down right beautifull in some scenes, like at the end of the Joker worlds Good ending. Its really nice to go back and look at all the art you have unlocked in the gallery. Now onto probably the only real negative with the game. The localization team was beyond lazy. Entirerly wrong gender specific words, missing punctuation, random capital letters, double typed phrases, and wrong tense usage. So not things only grammer enthusiasts would find. Its really disapointing because Ive been waiting for this game for a long time and it was obviously rushed for its release. Compared to probably the only other otomate game localized ,Hakuoki which was done almost perfectly, it was just unacceptable how bad it was. So...

Pros
Diverse story plots
Unique cast of characters
26 different endings
Interactive image and video gallery

Cons
Lazy Localization team
Toma's "Good" ending

Overall a very fun game that I think is a must for Vita owners and lovers of visual novels.

Phoenix Wright (the first game)

was more a novel than a real game though. Though the game wasn't always realistic, the characters were cool and the overall game was fun and I was getting emotionally attached to the story

would rate it a 8.5/10

Resident Evil Revelations 2 (Xbox One)

I'll start off this review by pointing out that the first Revelations game is one of my top 5 favorite games ever. It blended the best elements of the original Resident Evil with the best elements of Resident Evil 4, the result of which was a true Resident Evil survival horror experience just like what you could find in the early games (RE0-RE3), but with over-the-shoulder aiming and a decent mix of action that managed to not take away from the tense and creepy atmosphere and the focus on survival. Rationing your ammo and your supplies, solving puzzles, exploring and scavenging environments, finding new objects, and unlocking new areas have always been staples of the old-school Resident Evil games, and Revelations managed to return the series to its roots without making the game seem outdated or abandoning what really worked from later titles like RE4. So naturally when I heard Capcom was making a sequel to the game, I was thrilled. How did it hold up? Very well, but not without a few quips.

Visuals:
The graphics are solid, but unspectacular for 8th gen. Don't get me wrong, the game looks beautiful, but I've seen more impressive graphics on the Playstation 3 – The Last of Us looked better than Revelations 2. The difference between the two games that big, but overall I was a tad underwhelmed by the graphics.

When Revelations 2 was announced, I didn't understand why it was not going to be released on the 3DS. The original Revelations began as a 3DS exclusive, and once screen shots and videos of the game were released I didn't think the graphics were anything the 3DS couldn't handle. But after playing the game myself, I now realize that if it were to be ported to the 3DS, the textures, frame rate, and a lot of the graphics would have to be significantly downscaled. Capcom has since confirmed that the reason Revelations 2 isn't getting a 3DS release has to do with the game engine they used to create the game, but part of me still wishes there was some way to port the game over.

As for the aesthetic design of the game, it isn't that different than other Resident Evil titles. The game take place on an island full of rundown buildings and wooded forests that are usually cloaked in shadows, making the environments creepy and giving players a sense of unease at what could lay ahead. The zombies this time (called "the Afflicted") are smarter than the T-Abyss zombies from the first Revelations game, but are also somewhat easier to kill.

Claire and Barry have gotten significant makeovers/updates to their character models. Barry looks significantly older with a fuller beard than what he had in REmake, while Claire's facial features have changed a bit from her last appearance (RE: Degeneration). I can't say I have a strong opinion on how their character models have changed, although I have heard that some people don't like how Claire was redesigned.

Music: The soundtrack is very good. I imagine some players might prefer the soundtrack in this game to those in some of the more recent Resident Evil games since the music is more subtle.

Unfortunately there are no tracks as brilliant as this:

Or this:

But expecting every Resident Evil game to have music like that is unrealistic. Make no mistake, the soundtrack is excellent and does its job.

Gameplay: If the first Revelations can be likened to being the offspring of REmake (RE1) and RE4, Revelations 2 is like the offspring of the first Revelations and REmake (RE1). Revelations 2 has even less focus on action than Revelations 1 did, while further emphasizing the atmosphere and suspense that the old-school Resident Evil games had.

The game is split up into four chapters, with each chapter containing two campaigns where you play as either Claire Redfield and Moira Burton (Barry's daughter), or Barry Burton and Natalia Korda. Unlike the first Revelations game, the campaigns are not focused on action or survival-horror solely based on what character you play as. That is to say, in Revelations 1 Chris Redfield's campaign was more focused on action and combat similar to RE4, RE5, and RE6, while Jill's campaign was more survival-horror focused, like the RE0-RE3 games. In Revelations 2, each campaign is primarily survival-horror with little moments of action sprinkled in occasionally.

This is also one of the few Resident Evil games where you can control both characters in each campaign's individual story arcs. You can switch between using Claire and Moira in Claire's campaigns and Barry and Natalia in Barry's campaigns. Claire and Barry are the heavy hitting characters since they are the only ones who use guns, while Moira and Natalia are more utility-based characters. Both Moira and Natalia are useful for finding hidden objects – in Revelations 1 you had to use the Genesis to find hidden objects – and for unlocking new areas, but are otherwise very different. Moira can defend herself with a crowbar, while Natalia cannot attack enemies at all (save for throwing bricks that can be found scattered about certain environments), however she can identify an enemy's weak points which is actually very useful.

I think more puzzles needed to be added to the game. This was one area I felt the first Revelations game needed improvement in, and it was still lacking somewhat in Revelations 2. Instead of the electrical wire puzzles from Revelations 1, this game has puzzles based around unlocking boxes with weapon upgrade parts and other useful items. These puzzles are interesting but not really intellectually challenging since at a certain point you have to guess, but regardless I don't think these puzzles are enough in terms of quantity and quality.

Story: Since the game is broken up into four chapters, I'll review and rate their stories individually.

Note: There will be spoilers in this section! If you want to play the game for yourself without knowing the story ahead of time, skip ahead to the "Final Verdict" section.

Chapter 1: Each chapter starts with Claire's campaign followed by Barry's. Claire is attending a social function/party for members of her human rights NGO TerraSave. Barry Burton's daughter Moira is revealed to have joined TerraSave. It is revealed she does not get along with her father and seemingly does stuff just to upset him.

At the party, the electricity is cut and the building is stormed by a group of mysterious armed men. When Claire wakes up, she finds herself in a jail cell. She is remotely let out of her cell and manages to find Moira, who is also freed from her cell. As they navigate the prison, they discover that all of TerraSaves' members have been brought to the jail along with them. They find a way to escape the prison and then head to a radio tower to transmit a distress broadcast, only to discover their signal is being remotely blocked.

Six months later, Barry Burton somehow manages to intercept the distress call and travels to the island it came from. He finds a young girl named Natalia who inexplicably has special powers that allow her to sense the presence of zombies/the Afflicted on the island, including where they are in relation to her and what parts of their bodies are most vulnerable/susceptible to damage. He navigates through the island prison and makes his way to the broadcast tower, only to find a full version of the broadcast he intercepted which indicates that Moira and Claire were heading to someplace called the Wossek. When Natalia hears Barry say Moira's name, she tells him that she met her and that she is dead.

My take: Chapter 1 starts off with a bang and I was very pleased with how the story and gameplay unfolded. Of all the chapters, this one feels the most similar to the first Revelations game. Overall I give this chapter a 10/10.

Chapter 2: Claire and Moira head to the Wossek, which turns out to be a tavern/pub in an abandoned fishing village. There they meet up with a handful of other TerraSave members who were kidnapped and brought to the island. The group confirms that a woman is remotely monitoring them via electronic bracelets they are wearing. They cannot remove the bracelets, however one of the survivors managed to pull off the bracelet of another TerraSave member who died trying to fight off the zombies that are on the island. The woman can also talk to them via the bracelets, but only does so to taunt them.

The mysterious woman calls herself "The Overseer." She reveals to Moira and Claire that she has injected them and the other TerraSave members with a variant of the T-virus that only activates in subjects when they feel overwhelming fear. The surviving TerraSave members are ambushed by a pack of Afflicted, causing one of the TerraSave members to feel overwhelmed with fear to the point where the virus triggers. Claire and Moira cannot fight this new zombie due to its immense resilience and physical strength, but they manage to escape with the help of another surviving TerraSave member, Neil.

Claire and Moira get separated from Neil, however shortly afterward they see Natalia Korda and give chase to her. Moira is concerned for Natalia's safety. They do catch up to her and meet her, however they are separated again after witnessing the death of another TerraSave member.

Barry attempts to find out what happened to Moira. He and Natalia navigate their way through the fishing village and attempt to retrace Natalia's footsteps from six months prior. They encounter the mutated TerraSave member who Claire and Moira had to run away from, and manage to defeat him (IMO this is the best boss fight in the game). When they get to the spot where Natalia and Moira got separated, Barry and Natalia enter a building where she says a man from TerraSave took her after they got separated. Inside the building, the identity of "The Overseer" is revealed.

My take: This chapter was good, but IMO it had some spots where the game got kind of boring. At the end of the previous chapter, Natalia reveals that Moira was killed, which kind of ruined a lot of suspense and mystery from Claire's campaign. You already know what happens, you just don't know how or why.

Barry's campaign was really strong. I really enjoyed the boss fight in his story – Natalia's powers come in very handy. Overall I'd give this a 9/10, with Claire's campaign getting an 8/10 and Barry's campaign a 10/10.

Chapter 3: Claire and Moira are again taunted by "The Overseer" after the death of their coworker. After losing track of Natalia, Moira once again becomes worried about Natalia's safety, however they encounter a handwritten note from Neil telling them to head to a nearby factory. The Overseer tells them that they will need certain items to advance into the factory. They encounter gruesome environments full of obstacles and puzzles that they need to solve/overcome in order to advance into the tower where the Overseer is located.

At one point, the Overseer informs Claire and Moira that she no longer needs them for her experiment and attempts to kill them via setting off an explosion. They narrowly escape, and then believe that the Overseer probably thinks they are dead. Claire and Moira decide to use this opportunity to converge on her inside the tower and catch her off guard. They navigate the sewers located beneath the tower, where they even spot a man who apparently is the last remaining original inhabitant of the island. As the enter the tower, they come across a room that contains documents from Neil, showing that he was working with the Overseer all along and that he was responsible for the abduction attempt that brought all of them to the island. A live security feed is then shown of the Overseer betraying Neil by injecting him with the Uroboros virus from Resident Evil 5. Claire and Moira then encounter the mutated Neil and attempt to kill him.

Barry and Moira fend off the Overseer, and navigate the same sewers that Claire and Moira navigated in their story. They then find themselves in a sewage treatment plant. Eventually they return to the surface, where they emerge outside a mining colony. After navigating the mining colony, they encounter the Overseer again, who has mutated into some kind of zombie like monster.

My take: This is probably my favorite level in the game. If you ask me, Claire's campaign is quintessential Resident Evil goodness, full of memorable settings and unique puzzles. Barry's campaign is very short this time around, but other than that I can't find any other faults. I give this chapter a 10/10.

Chapter 4: Now inside the tower, Claire and Moira converge on the Overseer. They find her at the top of the tower and attempt to confront her, but she shoots herself in the head before they can interrogate her. Before she kills herself, she sets off the tower's self-destruct sequence. Claire and Moira attempt to escape the tower in time, but with mixed results.

Barry and Natalia attempt to storm what remains of the Overseer's tower. They navigate through several areas located underneath the remains of the tower, including the labs where she conducted her experiments. They finally confront her, and she attempts to kill Natalia. Barry tries to fend her off but fails. As the Overseer is about to kill Natalia, Moira appears and fires several shots that free Natalia from the Overseer's grasp. Claire arrives in a helicopter and helps Barry finish off the Overseer.

My take: This is where the game kind of lost me. The level was okay, up until the ending. Moira inexplicably surviving for six months on the island alone is pretty absurd when you consider she despises guns and more importantly that in previous Resident Evil games, trained police forces and armed forces barely survive much more hazardous situations for shorter amounts of time. Consider Resident Evils 1 and 2, where STAARs and the entire Racoon City Police Force were decimated after spending a night/a few weeks respectively in environments filled with zombies/BoWs and were mostly killed, save for a few notable individuals.

Moira and Claire inexplicably showing up at the end was also pretty cheesy in terms of the scenario and dialogue. It was like an episode of Full House came on in the middle of a Resident Evil game. Even with the Bonus Episode "The Struggle" outlining the details of just how Moira managed to survive on the island for six months, it still is too much of a stretch for me to believe. Overall I'd give this chapter a 5 out of 10.

Bonus Chapters: The Struggle and Little Miss

These chapters fill in some of the missing information on Moira and Natalia, specifically how Moira survived six months on the island and how Natalia received her powers and got to the location where Barry discovered her in Chapter 1. These chapters are short but challenging. Showing how Moira survived for six months was warranted, even though the explanation still wasn't 100% believable IMO. Natalia's story was less warranted, but still managed to fill in some useful information. I won't rate these chapters due to their short length, but they are worth playing as extra content once you finish the main story.

Final Verdict: Part of me wants to rate Revelations 2 a 10/10. I had more fun playing it than I did The Last of Us (which I rated a 10/10 elsewhere in this thread) or any of the Halo games. However the last chapter was really underwhelming and full of problems that hurt my view of this game. I still rate this game VERY highly, but I don't think it reaches the same heights that Resident Evil Revelations 1 did, nor REmake (RE1) or even Resident Evil 4 IMO. It's still a great game that I highly recommend to anyone who a fan of the Resident Evil franchise. If you played and liked the first Revelations game, you should definitely check this one out.

Resident Evil Revelations 2 (9.5/10)

Last edited:
Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes - 7.8/10

I'm waiting for my copy of MGSV:TPP to come to me, but until then I'm playing nothing but Metal Gear Solid 3D: Snake Eater and Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes. Ground Zeroes is just such a well playing game, and it's incredible that it doesn't even have a fraction of the gameplay content of Phantom Pain. Nonetheless, for a short little thing, I've clocked in 30 hours and I'm still truckin'.

Dust: An Elysian Tail - 9.75/10
I have found my second most favorite game.

Sonic the Hedgehog (2006)

0/10

This is a game that I absolutely despised from the first week I paid $60 for it and played back in 2006. Why did I play it again? I thought, maybe I'll give it another chance. I mean, maybe I just wasn't that good and was blaming my own incompetence on the game, and hey, I'm all for second chances- a second chance that took 9 years to give (wow, it's been that long?). It's in my game library, so, why not? Maybe I'll end up liking it and defend it against the common grain of those who dislike it. Nope. It turns out it isn't me or my game-playing skills; this game is just simply terrible. I'm sorry to beat a dead horse because I know everyone hates this game, but I tend to finish every game I own and give second chances to games I never really gave a try. I never finished this game because it requires the massive patience of a saint. I simply don't have that kind of patience. I don't find rage quitting fun.

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots - 9/10.

A splendid conclusion to the Solid Snake saga that wraps up pretty much every loose end. The soundtrack and gameplay are both topnotch, along with the story. Gameplay was pretty challenging too, which I liked. (Took some getting used to though, since each Metal Gear seems to improve the guard AI in some form, requiring you to think of new tricks to slip by.)
If I had to complain about something, it'd probably be the fact that there were a few too many cutscenes. :s They weren't bad, don't get me wrong. Just wish maybe they were more condensed/less frequent. Still a wonderful game though. Really wish I was able to play it back when it was first released, but I couldn't afford a PS3 back then.

Fire Emblem Awakening - 8/10

I like the Fire Emblem series so it's no doubt that I would like this one as well. Despite what others might say about this game, I thought it was a great installment to the series, but I do agree that it does push the pairing system quite a bit, but other than that it's pretty fun. Can't wait for FE Fates next year~

Rayman Origins: 9.5/10 One of the most fun platformers I've ever played.

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition (Xbox One) – 10/10

Incredible! I never played a Tomb Raider game before this one, but boy I am glad I gave it a try. I thought that a survival action game like this would be right up my alley, and I was right. I had so much fun playing this game.

The graphics are beautiful and among the best on Xbox One. The gameplay is a great mix of scavenging for supplies and documents, overcoming environmental obstacles, and killing enemies via shooting them or via stealth. The story is good. The characters are okay, but some of them are kind of bland. My only complaint is that the game starts out slow and takes a while before it really gets going.

Overall this is one of my favorite games ever. Not sure where I'd rank it exactly, but it's definitely in my top 10. I'll probably replay Definitive Edition soon so I can experience it again before I pick up Rise of the Tomb Raider.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom