• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Rate the last game you played

Status
Not open for further replies.
Resident Evil HD Remaster (Xbox One) – 10/10

An oldie but goodie and one of my favorite games ever. I own multiple copies across several different systems and have played the game more times than I can count, but it never gets old.

The remastered graphics look great, revealing more visual details than the original Gamecube release could muster, and the gameplay is still as good as ever. Jill's campaign is the easier and more amusing of the two, but Chris' campaign is more straightforward and enjoyable IMO. I love how cerebral the game is – everything from killing enemies, using supplies, solving puzzles, planning how to best navigate the mansion, etc, involves careful thought and consideration. One wrong move and you may find yourself short on supplies, stuck in an uncompromising position and killed, and/or seemingly unable to advance further because you did not sufficiently conserve your supplies or complete certain tasks correctly. Real Survival Mode is a wonderful addition to the game. I haven't had a chance to try Invisible Enemy Mode, but I'm not sure I want to since it sounds ridiculously difficult.

Capcom really needs to return to this style for future games. Resident Evils 5 and 6 felt too much like Call of Duty-type shooters with zombies. Thankfully it looks like Capcom is coming to its senses – the Revelations games are fantastic and have returned the series to its survival horror roots, and Resident Evils 0 and 2 are getting an HD Remaster/Remake respectively in the future.

Bottom line – if you haven't played the 2002 remake of the original Resident Evil, do so! It is absolutely fantastic and considering it is also one of my top 3 favorite games of all time, I simply can't recommend it enough.

Mario Kart 8

8/10

I love this game and just played it again earlier in the day with some friends who came for a visit, but something about it rubs me the wrong way that I never bothered to bring up until now. I remember in previous titles I would rank down as low as fifth yet get good items to give me a chance to make in first. In this game, I could be in seventh and I'd still be getting single banana peels or those worthless coins. I also noticed that whatever item I get, a racer close to me also gets the same item. The item distribution is not the best, but hey, I like the horn they give you! The CPU also seems to be way more advanced compared to previous games as it takes advantage of stuff like shortcuts. In this game's defense, the AI has always cheated since the first game, but still, if I'm struggling on something as low as 100cc, that tells me the computer either got better or I just suck at this game. I don't know, but meh, I still enjoy this game immensely. The levels are gorgeous and me and my friends had fun, so that's all that matters. =D

Just bought and beat South Park: The Stick of Truth this weekend. 8.5/10

I was impressed by this game, actually by the soundtrack, and thoroughly enjoyed it. The story was well written; there was a nice balance of characters and locales in relation to the game's length. The jokes were as much as one could expect from Matt Stone and Trey Parker, and I laughed a lot. The game features Canada which I thought was done very well, and was probably my favorite part of the game. Boss fights were challenging enough for me to lose several times, but not too challenging to the point that I needed to lower the difficulty.

There's a lot of items in game, and the player's outfit and look could be customized to hundreds of different combinations. I played as a mage with a necromancer theme towards the end.

Being an RPG there are major choices that can be made, but they have little impact on the overall story. There's little (if anything) to do post game if all the quests are done, though, which is a bummer. But I enjoyed the game enough that I'll probably play it again.

And the game features 30 collectible Chinpokomon, some of which were created for this game and look like recent Pokemon. I haven't collected them all and will have to play the game over again to do so.

Code:Realize Guardian of Rebirth (Vita) - 10/10

Another Otomate game localized for the US and it is absolutely fantastic! The heroine is the young woman who is literally poisonous to the touch. She gets kidnapped from the mansion she is hidden in and works with a group of gentlemen to find her father who supposedly knows all about her poison. Usually in Otomate game there is at least one "bachelor" I dislike and or hate. I thought all five men were great well rounded characters. They were all unique in personality and had flaws that made you more sympathetic to them without hating their faces. The story up to chapter 8 is the same every play-through and the "bachelor" path you end up on determines the last 5 chapters story line. The "bachelor" path you get pretty much focus' on that particular mans personal plot. So picking Victor's path doesn't change what goes on in Impey's plot, the course of his(Impey) plot just isn't detailed. The developer did a really good job of making all the plots connect with out all being the same or just very similar. In Hakuoki the challenge is length and in Amnesia the challenge is the many choices leading to many different paths(IMO). The challenge with C:R is the very very few decision points. You really have to be confident in what answer you are picking because there are like 3 decision points max in some pretty lengthy chapters. I platinum Otomate games so I save at every point but I know some people who never save. So picking that one option that gets you game end could ruin an entire play-through. The art in menus and CG's is absolutely gorgeous. The game has a steam punk them so everyone's outfits are crazy cool/detailed. Like every other visual novel there is a skip button. The game auto turns off the skip button if you hit text that has not been read before. Very helpful if you are trying to get to the next mans route quickly.

Pros
Great story Good or Bad ending
Smart skip button
Enjoyable cast
Unlock-able extra scenes with mostly naked men XD
Beautiful art

The second best visual novel for the Vita with a very satisfying story.

Well, since I have recently finished the Wii U version of Freedom Planet, I figueed I'd post here for the first time in quite a while.

Let's see, where to begin... Ah, here we go: it has Mayor Zao in it. That is all. Bes game evar.

In all serious though, as long as we're talking characters, they are, asside from the ones that only have a line or two each in the whole game, quite good. The main baddie is dislikeable in a good way, the main trio are as likeable as said baddie is dislikeable (especially Milla) and, again, it has Mayor Zao. That is all you need to know as far as characters are concerned.

Although I probably should mention that it has voice acting. Quite good voice acting at that. Especially where Brevon is concerned. That's all I can really think of to say here.

Now, as for gameplay, this game plays awfully like various ye-olde Sanic games - in other words, it is a platformer with a good deal of emphasis on gotta-go-fastness speed. And it certianly delivers on the speed front, let me tell you... Though I would like to add that this game also has a bit more emphasis on combat then your typical Sanic title.

As for the playable characters, there's Lilac, who, if I had to make comparisons, is basicly the Sonic of the group - a character whose moveset if focused almost entirely on going fast and doing damage; Carol, a somewhat weaker character more focused on mobility then speed; and Milla, a rather unique character whose gimmick is the ability to block attacks and be cute. Each of them plays rather well, though as far as I'm concerned Lilac is the most fun to play as because speeeeeeeeed and Milla is the second best because cuteness.

However, there is one annoying thing I'd like to bring up in terms of gameplay, and it's specific to Lilac - when attempting to use her signiture move, the Dragon Boost, which sends her rocketting in a specific direction for a bit. If you are attempting to use this for platforming, be a bit wary since A. you could either not go where you intended, making you have to wait for it to recharge (which isn't good in a speed-oriented game BTW) or B. accidentially boost off a cliff (or out of the bonus area before actually getting a bonus). I am aware this is a minor nitpick, but still.

Now, story... The basic plot is alien bad guy crash-lands on the main trio's home planet, needs a precious object from said planet to repair his ship or something, you have to stop him. Oh, and there's a subplot of him throwing the nations of said planet into war and all that but that's besides the point.

I must say, the story dose its job. It gets one pumped up for the exciting moments, makes one feel tense when bad stuff happens, all that stuff. Although when you've has already finished a playthrough of this game ones, you'll likely just want to get to the action rather then wait for some characters to finish talking, which is where the classic mode - which lets you remove all of said cutscemes and just play every stage back-to-back - comes in. I really like that feature.

Music! It's good! ...Though I don't really feel like I should spoil anything else just to emphisise how good the music is... Just take my word for it - if you liked that sampler, you'll like the rest of it, I guarentee it.

Now, on to the final thing I can think of to talk about: how it looks. For those of you who are familiar with Shantae and the Pirate's Cures, a lot of comparisons can be made to that as far as art goes - both are 16-bit-esque, both look really, really good. Though if you're looking for a game in terms of how good its pixel are it, I'd say go with Shantae, though that doesn't mean this one looks any less good.

Final Score:

Overall: 9/10
Gameplay: 9/10
Story: 7/10
Visuals: 9/10
Music: 8.5/10
Mahjong: 10/10

Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (GBA) 8/10

I was sorta expecting it to be really bad because a lot of people only like it due to nostalgia and I've only just played it. It's probably my favourite 2D Zelda game, it's story is amazing and the graphics are too, and quite cute. My only problem with it it how I struggle to know where I'm supposed to go a lot of the time because I need a certain item or something, it's not that big of a deal though as I appreciate the difficulty. However the dungeon design is slightly infuriating that there's no midway point like in the GBC games and getting around takes a while and is annoying when stocking up potions for a boss.

Other than that this game is amazing, the concept and story is top notch. I like the music too!

I just finished Pokémon Fire Red few days ago and of course I give that game 5/5.

Pokemon Trading Card Game (GameBoy Color version): 5/10. It's okay. I like it, but there isn't much to do other than battle the Challenge Hall multiple times, and even then, they give you cards that you already have if you haven't gotten them from other places already.

Animal Crossing: New Leaf - 9/10

There's a lot of things to do in this game. You get to build your house, complete an insect, fish and sea encyclopedias, and build a village from scratch with public funding. It doesn't seem interesting but once you start playing it, you will get addicted to it. While it's great, it does have its share of flaws.

Tales of Symphonia - 8.8/10

A very good game, but I wouldn't say it's the best of the two Tales games I've played so far. (Then again, comparing it to Tales of the Abyss is pretty unfair.)
Soundtrack is splendid, story is pretty good, and the characters aren't bad. Definitely wish some of them received more development though. Gameplay is very good as expected, with the boss fights generally requiring a pretty good level of strategy to win.

Omega Ruby - 8/10 due to great new features but lack of Emerald elements.

Rise of the Tomb Raider (Xbox One) – 9/10

It doesn't quite live up to its predecessor in terms of quality, but it still contains and improves upon many of its strengths. The tomb challenges are varied and interesting, the graphics are beautiful, and the combat has been refined with many more weapons and new ways to kill enemies via stealth. Exploring environments, scavenging for resources, and learning more about the people and places you encounter are still integral aspects of the game.

But overall I didn't enjoy this one as much. To me it didn't have enough adrenaline-pumping combat moments – the original/reboot had a lot of them, but they hardly exist Rise. I partially credit this to the addition of several new healing methods and weapons which weren't in Tomb Raider 2013. Since you can now deal with most of the enemies in the game pretty easily, combat situations rarely become intense.

I also encountered a few glitches during the campaign, including a game breaking bug that almost prevented me from beating it. There were also way too many cutscenes for my liking.

Plot-wise, it can be argued that Rise is stronger than its predecessor. It spends a ton of time exploring Lara's relationship with her father, which in turn directly influences the game's story, but overall I didn't find its characters to be very endearing or interesting. The only returning character from the previous game (not counting Lara of course) is Jonah. If you didn't find the characters in Tomb Raider 2013 interesting, it will probably be the case for you here as well.

These issues aside though, the game is still great and definitely worth playing.

Last edited:
Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon 9/10

It's such a cute game.

Stella Glow (3DS) - 7/10

Visuals - Pretty average for the 3DS. The quality stays consistent throughout the game. Best part of visuals is all the character designs. They range from cookie cutter characters to over the top. Nonoka being my favorite just because of how silly she looks.
6BuEgOX.jpg

Gameplay - It is a standard grid based RPG. The world map is set up kind of like FE:A. Weapons don't deteriorate but they hardly ever get upgrades at the shop and they are expensive. In the beginning there are few free maps to play to earn money and the maps are only playable once per section of the destiny clock. There is a "free time" section of the destiny clock that lets you pick a party member and build a relationship with them that gives the skills for battle. It works out relatively well because you have to reach a certain rank or hit a specific story point to increase the relationship. What sucks is you only get like 3 free time spots each chapter and once you hit chapter 3 you start collecting A LOT of party members. There is no way to complete a relationship with each character in one play-through. In fact once you finish your first run the game tells you its gonna add like 4 more free time spots each chapter so you can try doing it on the 2nd run.

Story - It starts out pretty interesting. Just like every other JRPG on the planet it is cliched but it's at least set up well. It starts out with the main party trying to stop the witch of destruction from crystallizing everything. To stop her you have to collect all the other witches and have them sing. The back-story behind all of the witches and how they came about is pretty cool it just takes awhile to actually get to that part of the story. Character interaction is great. One thing I always love is when your party notices someones stupid outfit and lets them know its stupid. This game does that and its not just a one time thing. Perfect example, Nonoka. All the male party members have different reactions ranging from embarrassment to excitement. What they say to each other also changes when they hit new environments. While the game started out well I was incredibly disappointed with the ending. Or the like 4 sets of endings you can obtain. You hit a decision point that takes you to one of two main story endings. Then you get to choose a party member you have a high relationship with and have a kinda sorta ending. THEN after the credits you get to pick a party member one more time and have an actual ending with them. The main story endings SUCK and are just unrealistic to the rest of the plot and I doubt there will be a sequel to this game so they don't lead up to anything else. The character endings are weird and feel very incomplete.

Overall - It's not a bad game but the ending does leave you very dissatisfied. The amount of content makes it worth the money but just because of how it ended I would wait until its on sale to pick it up.

Gears of War 2 (Xbox 360) – 9.5 out of 10

Definitely one of the better shooters I've played. It doesn't have any 'Call of Duty-style' hand-holding (where you are essentially playing an interactive movie) or 'run and gun' game play like Halo. Instead, utilizing cover effectively and being aware of your surroundings are essential elements of the game. The graphics are nice for a game that came out in 2008. You encounter a large number of enemies in nearly every level and the variety of enemies (what they do, what weapons they have, how to effectively defeat them) is constantly switched up, which keeps you on your toes and makes the game very fast paced.

I liked how the humanity of characters like Dominic were explored and how this time around the game showed how the war against the Locusts affected the civilian population. These elements were not heavily featured in the first game. Overall a great game that shows how fun shooters can be if done correctly.

Gears of War: Ultimate Edition (Xbox One) – 10 out of 10

I mentioned a few of the flaws I thought this game suffered from in my review above. Some other flaws: The levels can be too linear at times, the characters aren't interesting or endearing, and I didn't think the game was challenging enough. That said, the game's remastered graphics are beautiful and it was still decently fun.

Edit: I know I was relatively critical of Ultimate Edition in the review above, but since then, Ultimate Edition/Gears of War 1 has become my favorite shooter of all time. While some of the criticisms I previously mentioned are still true, after playing the game several more times and getting into the fantastic online multiplayer modes, I have to amend the above review. 'Decently fun' isn't accurate at all. The game is incredibly fun with spectacular gameplay.

Gears of War: Ultimate Edition and its sequels are fantastic examples of what I call 'thinking shooters' – shooters where you cannot simply run into an environment with your guns blazing and achieve a positive outcome. You need to utilize your squad members effectively, be conscious of and utilize what forms of cover are available to you in the environment, and be smart about how to approach/take down certain enemies. Even certain gameplay mechanics most other shooters take for granted (such as reloading) are strategic parts of the games.

With that said, I am changing my score of this game from 8.5/10 to 10/10.

Last edited:
Gears of War 3 (Xbox 360) – 9 out of 10

Objectively speaking I think it is better than the first game, but it suffers from a lot of fluff and is more cinematic in its presentation than either of its predecessors. Why I needed to play as Cole searching for supplies in his hometown for a significant portion of the first act, or spend two whole acts searching for fuel is a mystery to me – aside from providing more game play scenarios, these added nothing to the overall story. It just seemed like a waste of time. But it was still fun to play and a more polished experience than the original game, although I didn't think it was as fun or as good as Gears of War 2.

Gears of War: Judgement (Xbox 360) – 8 out of 10

A solid but unremarkable addition to the series. The game is split into two parts – Judgement and Aftermath.

Judgement acts as a prequel to the overall story line for the main series games, documenting Damon Baird and Augustus Cole's roles in firing a Lightmass Missile to take out a very dangerous Locust General. You have the option of taking on side missions, which are simply additional criteria that you have to meet and/or adhere to in order to beat a level. Taking on these side missions increases your score within the game. I wasn't really sure how I benefited from increasing my score/attaining stars, but it was still fun to see how many I could get. My biggest criticism is that some of the levels were very formulaic in terms of their layouts. Many levels consisted of either enemies coming at you in waves, protecting beacons, overcoming environmental obstacles, etc, over and over again, and it got pretty old after a while.

Aftermath is an extension of the story in Gears of War 3. It documents Baird and Cole's mission to find a ship and reinforcements for the assault on Azura. Its inclusion in this game helped its overall quality, but it still wasn't necessary.

Bring on Gears of War 4!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom