• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Movies/TV Rate the Last Movie you Watched

Beauty and the Beast (2017): 7/10

Really not liking Josh Gad as LeFou, for some reason I never like his characters, and some of the characters just don't look nice to me, Beast especially just looks off. But that's not to say it's a bad movie, just that there's bits I'm not a fan of. It's well done, pretty faithful to the original (by my memory), and has some good changes, and a few changes that wouldn't bother me if they didn't detract from the characters, like, removing Belle and Chip using one of her father's contraptions to get out, to just having Belle and her father get out of the cart... Somehow. And removing Beast saying he cares for her "More than anything" without hesitation, which was a nice little bit in the original, but takes a little bit of character away by dropping it. These are more little things in a pretty good movie though.

The Room: 9.75/10
The only problem i have with the movie is that people in the cinema were yelling and throwing spoons. That really distracted from the amazing storytelling.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi: 9/10
Now, a fair bit of my opinion comes from story points, so I'mma just leave the whole opinion in a spoiler, don't say I didn't warn ya.
The biggest thing I like about the movie is how much it didn't go the way we were expecting it to go. Rey's parents don't matter, Luke didn't matter, the jedi didn't matter. In the end, the past doesn't hold the answers, and the only thing they can do is move forward to something new. Which honestly excites me more than anything else from this movie.
That's not to say the movie is without flaw however. For one thing, Snoke was pointless. I was excited to learn about Snoke as the new big baddie and why he was doing all of this, but nope! Lightsabre'd! And I'm kinda having trouble taking Kylo Ren seriously as his replacement as big-bad. He got better by then end of the movie, but still not really feeling it.
Phasma was tragically underutilised. She was advertised with a bigger role this time around, but fighting Finn and then probably dying doesn't really cut it. I mean, yeah, badass 'till the end and all, but still, tragically underused.
FinnxRose was super random. I never felt that building up at all before the ending, so it was just super weird and random when it happened.
I still really don't like Poe. He got a bit better by the end once he had his development, but for most of the movie he was just an unlikable asshole.
And, the most important factor of all: I love Porgs. Porgs are great, and adorable, and I want one.
So, I know it looks like I kinda bashed on it pretty hard there, but that's only because verything I liked about it was summed up perfectly in that first paragraph. It's different, it's unexpected, and a lot of stuff about it is done really well.

The Last Jedi

Great visuals but I wasn't impressed with the story or how they handled most of the characters. I read that Mark Hamill was disappointed with Luke's role and after watching it I can understand why. I'd probably give it a 3 or 4 out of 10.

Star Wars The Last Jedi 6/10
I just didn't like it much. A lot of the humor seemed kinda forced and misplaced to me. Didn't enjoy Luke's part in the movie at all. Visually everything looked great, the story just wasn't there.

Heidi (2015) - 8/10. I really liked this one! I thought it was reasonably faithful to the book while managing to add in its own original stuff without it taking away from what's important. I do kinda wish they delved a little more into Alm Uncle's past, and at one point I did feel they made Clara into a bit of a brat in one pivotal scene. But other than those nitpicks, I think this is definitely one of the better movie adaptations of Heidi, if not the best one (I haven't seen the 1950s version. Can't find it anywhere. Sorry!). It's up on Netflix if anyone wants to see it.

Fantasia - 9/10. Oh yeah. It's easy to see why Disney himself loved this movie so much and put so much love, passion, and effort into it, and it's definitely easy why people adore this movie so much. Why can't there be more movies like this nowadays? Favorite segments include the Nutcracker Suite, Pastoral Symphony, and Bald Mountain/Ave Maria. I do have to admit, I thought the Dance of the Hours sequence was a bit too wacky and cartoony for my tastes. Did Disney really have to put in ostriches, alligators, hippos, and elephants? Why not use humans and have them dance elegantly? Oh well. DotH was the weakest segment IMO. But other than that, this film is absolutely magnificent.

Pokemon Movie: Hoopa and the Clash of Ages - 6/10. Yeah...not one of the better Pokemon movies. The legendaries were nothing more than glorified fighting machines and cannon fodder, the whole conflict is started because one of the characters was an idiot for trying to bite off more than he can chew, and...honestly, the actress who plays Hoopa's Confined Forme absolutely CANNOT act or do dramatic scenes for the life of her. Her bad acting completely took me out of the movie.

Coco - 9.5/10
Really, really good movie. Definitely one of my favourites from Pixar. Had a really good story, characters, and soundtrack. I also loved how colourful it was, and I was never bored throughout it.
It also made me cry more than any other movie since I saw the Good Dinosaur. Hit me with the feels right at the end...

Bright - 8/10
So far I've viewed this movie twice, but on the first viewing I didn't like it much. Thought it was boring. Then again, I was only half paying attention to it. The day after, I saw the negative response from critics, and thought nothing more of it.
Well, last night I went onto r/movies and stumbled upon the discussion thread for the movie and started reading through the comments. I was surprised to find out that most people actually enjoyed it. This is when decided to actually watch the movie again, this time properly.
And, well, I enjoyed it. It's nothing spectacular or anything, but it's no where near as bad as critics are saying it is, and I thought it was decent enough. I actually thought the characters were interesting, and I LOVED the universe. I really, really hope they expand on it more in the sequel, because that's one thing I wish they'd done in this movie.
Also, I'd be lying if I said I didn't want this to become a franchise. Tv shows, comics, games, I'd watch/read/play the shit out of them.

Kingsman: The secret service (2015) 6.5/10

It's a nice attempt to bring together the Young Novel and Spy genres, and there are many funny and epic moments. However, some of the black humour goes too far, and the characters aren't very relatable because they either behave in a jerkass way or do a jerkass thing. It worked in Kick-Ass (they're from the same director) because it was about teenagers and corrupt adults, but this time the movie is supossed to be about a serious organization that "saves people".

The villain achieving his goal for like 15 minutes is one of the biggest "trauma fuel" a movie has given me.

Coco
10/10

I went to see this movie with a friend and we both cried near the end. It was so beautiful - from beginning to end. I can't find a single thing to complain about it. (The Olaf short was tolerable because I was expecting a horribly boring short, but it turned out to be meh, just okay)

Maze Runner: The Death Cure 8/10

It's not perfect, and some characters are misused or have strange send-offs. However, it's definitely worthy of being called a finale, as the stakes are raised, there are very cool action sequences and the plot twists are very welcomed. It left me satisfied, it has the best things about its predecessors.

Pollyanna - 7/10. People kept saying this movie was really super cutesy and saccharine and annoying. My opinion? Well...yeah, it can be really schmaltzy and cheesy at times, but most of that comes from the adults and the lighthearted nature of the movie. Ironically, Disney actually made Pollyanna a little meaner and more realistically flawed than she was in the book, and they didn't take it too far, thankfully, which I found to be very refreshing. The acting was very well done, too. The ending was definitely the cheesiest, schmaltziest part of the movie overall, but I thought the rest of the movie was very good. For a lighthearted movie about seeing the positive and good in life, it could have been way more saccharine.

Cleveland Abduction - 6/10. In contrast, this one was depressing as hell, and considering the subject of the movie, it comes as no surprise. I mean, I liked it and how it didn't hesitate to show the horrors that the women went through. But I did feel some parts were way too bleak, other parts dragged for a bit too long, and some parts outright baffled me (Why did Castro kill Michelle's unborn baby but let Amanda's live? Is he just a dirty hypocrite, did he deliberately favor Amanda so much that he let her have her baby, or was it something else? The movie never explains this!). Also, the puppy scene. Good lord. ;_; That one actually happened, so no use in talking about that. Still, it really says something when the hour-long Dateline-esque special about the Cleveland girls was less depressing than the movie that aired right before it.

The King and I (1956) - 6/10. I have to admit, I have mixed feelings about this one. The costumes and sets are amazing, Anna is a pretty decent character, the songs were nice, and I did genuinely like many parts of the story, especially the culture clashes between Anna and King Mongkut. Unfortunately, the king himself is really, REALLY annoying. Every time he opened his mouth, I wanted to punch him in the face, especially when he kept saying et cetera three times all the freaking time! Not only that, he is extremely stupid (Does he really think elephants will appear in America if he sends two MALE elephants?), egotistical, self-entitled, and self-absorbed to the point where he deliberately ignores any kind of criticism and advice anyone can give him. Also, what was the point of Tuptim's romance with that guy who brought her to Siam? I didn't think it added much to the story, and it, along with that crappy play that Tuptim put on, were nothing but filler made to drag the movie out for another hour. Also, I can't think of the song "Getting To Know You" without thinking about those identity theft commercials that use it. I will say this though: It's still a heck of a lot better than that crappy animated version that came out 40 years later. Seriously.

Your Name - 7/10. After hearing so much about it literally everywhere I went, I finally sat down and watched Makoto Shinkai's super popular megahit movie, Your Name. Do I think it's a good movie? Yes, it is. But do I think it deserves the massive popularity it's been swimming in? Unfortunately, no. Don't get me wrong, there's a lot to like about Your Name. No surprise, the animation and art is absolutely gorgeous and breath-taking, and I really liked the whole "comet about to break apart and destroy everyone" plot in the later half of the movie. The characters were decently likeable, if a little one-dimensional, and the movie's themes were wonderful. However, I thought Shinkai's attempt at trying to combine two different plots together wound up not meshing too well, thereby creating a ton of plot holes where logic falls apart if you think about them. Basically, he tries to do too much when doing less can do so much more. Also, the constant boob jokes got old REALLY fast, and they were not needed. At all. Personally, I think Your Name should have ditched the body-swapping and focused more on the comet breaking apart in its latter half, because I found that part of the movie to be its best section. Plus, it tends to go into heavy melodramatics a LOT, even during moments where it's not needed. Story-wise, it's kind of a hot mess. But it's a decent movie overall.

The Breadwinner - 9/10. Seriously, this is a beautiful movie. Major kudos to Cartoon Saloon (the company that made Secret of Kells and Song of the Sea) for going against the grain and making an awesome, realistic, intense, and heartwrenching movie about Taliban-ruled Afganistan. Parvana is a great character, the movie shows a very nuanced portrayal of Afgans, both in and outside the Taliban, and the atmosphere and suspense is just fantastic. Go watch this movie! It's on Netflix!

What We Do In The Shadows - 8/10
The Lord of the Rings trilogy - 10/10 for all three films
Annihilation - 7/10

Pitch Perfect 3 - 7/10 (I love the riff-off part)
Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle - 6 (Nothing special, the classic is better)
Black Panther - 8/10 (I simply love it, looking forward to Thor: Ragnarok)

Becoming Bond - 8.5/10
Having never seen a Bond film I didn't think this would be of any interest to me but I thought it was well done documentary about George Lazenby.

Back
Top Bottom