• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Movies/TV Rate the Last Movie you Watched

The Lost Highway

If you attempt to construct any coherence from this, narratively speaking, then you will indeed get lost. But then that’s part of the appeal of Lynch, is it not? :spin: Visually and sensually, it’s an absolute treat.

I’ve yet to read an interpretation of this film which completely satisfies me, and that’s just the way I like it. It’s an enigmatic puzzle I can keep prodding at again and again, discovering something interesting and new every time. I haven’t studied this one as obsessively as I have Mulholland Dr (Lynch's best film, IMO), but I love it. 10/10

(For the record, I don’t have a lot of patience for interpretations of David Lynch films which basically conclude that they’re all about losers daydreaming of something better. While exploring the ever-blurred boundaries between reality and fantasy is indeed a recurring theme in Lynch’s work, I think it’s a rather lazy simplification. That goes triple for Mulholland Dr.)

The Lost Highway

If you attempt to construct any coherence from this, narratively speaking, then you will indeed get lost. But then that’s part of the appeal of Lynch, is it not? :spin: Visually and sensually, it’s an absolute treat.

I’ve yet to read an interpretation of this film which completely satisfies me, and that’s just the way I like it. It’s an enigmatic puzzle I can keep prodding at again and again, discovering something interesting and new every time. I haven’t studied this one as obsessively as I have Mulholland Dr (Lynch's best film, IMO), but I love it. 10/10

(For the record, I don’t have a lot of patience for interpretations of David Lynch films which basically conclude that they’re all about losers daydreaming of something better. While exploring the ever-blurred boundaries between reality and fantasy is indeed a recurring theme in Lynch’s work, I think it’s a rather lazy simplification. That goes triple for Mulholland Dr.)

Love Lynch - I've seen all of his films multiple times. :cheers:

Lost Highway is phenomenal but my favourites are definitely Mulholland Dr. and Eraserhead. Am also partial to Inland Empire - adore Laura Dern, who could not be any better than she already is in his films.

Toy story 3
I was going to watch Inception today but didn't

Love Lynch - I've seen all of his films multiple times. :cheers:

Lost Highway is phenomenal but my favourites are definitely Mulholland Dr. and Eraserhead. Am also partial to Inland Empire - adore Laura Dern, who could not be any better than she already is in his films.

Yay! Someone else who knows their Lynch! :party:

I'm also very fond of The Elephant Man and The Straight Story (a surprisingly very different kind of David Lynch film, but none the worse for it). And Rabbits (which may just be the strangest thing he's ever done), bits and pieces of which were later featured in Inland Empire. :)

Yay! Someone else who knows their Lynch! :party:

I'm also very fond of The Elephant Man and The Straight Story (a surprisingly very different kind of David Lynch film, but none the worse for it). And Rabbits (which may just be the strangest thing he's ever done), bits and pieces of which were later featured in Inland Empire. :)

My favourite part of The Elephant Man (and my God, it is wonderful) is that bit where Mrs. Kendall has the chat with him. The fact that she was so bloody...genuine brought tears to my eyes. And when he starts crying as she gazes at the photographs on the mantelpiece - all of that just took my breath away.

The Straight Story is awesome. I've always wondered how Spacek never walked away with an Academy Award nomination because she was just as awesome as Farnsworth and the film as a whole is grand, and it is the most atypical Lynch film, yet one of his most beautiful.

Rabbits is quite the mindfuck - since you seem to be quite the fan of it, I recommend you check out Lady Blue Shanghai with Marion Cotillard. Fascinating stuff to watch...and yet it's meant to be a Dior commercial!

Rabbits is quite the mindfuck - since you seem to be quite the fan of it, I recommend you check out Lady Blue Shanghai with Marion Cotillard. Fascinating stuff to watch...and yet it's meant to be a Dior commercial!

A mindf*cking Dior commercial, you say? This I gotta see. :D

I just saw the new true grit, it was amazing. Rooster doesn't have to be John Wayne to be good, and Matt Damon was great as a Texas ranger.

True Grit.

Jeff Bridges and Matt Damon completely re-invented their characters. I really enjoyed it, and thought the ending was much better than the original.

7/10

Funny, the last film I saw was also True Grit: A couple of weeks late, but I finally got to it. It was marvelous and Hailee Steinfeld is quite the talent.

Scott Pilgrim vs The World.

How they used special effects I thought was very cool, however the story just makes no sense to me.

I'd give it 6/10. The special effects and Michael Cera saved the movie.

Black Swan 9/10

Loved Natalie Portman's performance. She was captivating and she really pulled me into the dementia and paranoia ofher character and the performance she gave has a haunting quality. It stays with you for a while. But the move is more than just a great performance. Great script, raises the interesting themes of the treatment of ballerinas, the pressure and competition in that world and the isolation. Brilliant direction from Darren Aronofsky, the camera work was brilliant and the film was visually stunning, especially the dance of the Black Swan. Great supporting performance by Vincent Cassel, Mila Kunis and Barbra Hershey. It's a demanding movie, it forces you to think and feel, but if you're not afraid to do that, I highly recommend it.

The Dark Knight and Transformers 2.

The Dark Knight: I really loved the story and the actor fit the Joker perfectly. All in all it is a must see for movie and violence and things that make you think 10/10

Transformers 2: It was ok. I will admit lots of parts made me laugh and the effects were splendid. But the thing that really ruined it for me was the ending. It was kind of cheesy and expected to be honest and according to one of my older friends in the original transformers movies(the anime ones) Optimus Prime was supposed to die.........and stay dead.
So Criticizing the ending included- 7/10
Overall Movie- 8/10

007: Goldeneye
9/10

I may have missed a bit of the plot/dialogue due to background conversation, but it was great nevertheless. The movie was filled to the brim with great characters and all the action-espionage you expect from James Bond. Also, it has a chase scene involving a tank, wherein said tank performs DRIFTING tricks. Aside from the villains standing on some very faulty reasoning, the movie was absolutely grand. Would work with again.

Spiderman series in general: Please don't kill me for being tough on the series but my God it would take a real genius to pick a WORSE actor for Spiderman. Really they made him such a wuss, I would be ashamed to look him in the eye. Spiderman 2 was SO bad that me and my family left in the middle because we felt like we were being tortured. The visual effects are usaully good but what they really lack is the actors and I honestly feel if they had a "tough" Spiderman, I wouldn't be handing out this rating to it.
3/10

Black Swan 9/10

Loved Natalie Portman's performance. She was captivating and she really pulled me into the dementia and paranoia ofher character and the performance she gave has a haunting quality. It stays with you for a while. But the move is more than just a great performance. Great script, raises the interesting themes of the treatment of ballerinas, the pressure and competition in that world and the isolation. Brilliant direction from Darren Aronofsky, the camera work was brilliant and the film was visually stunning, especially the dance of the Black Swan. Great supporting performance by Vincent Cassel, Mila Kunis and Barbra Hershey. It's a demanding movie, it forces you to think and feel, but if you're not afraid to do that, I highly recommend it.

I waited four years for that film. It was as brilliant as I expected. Aronofsky is a wonderful talent - this film was the best of 2010 if you ask me.

I waited four years for that film. It was as brilliant as I expected. Aronofsky is a wonderful talent - this film was the best of 2010 if you ask me.

I haven't seen the other major award contenders for the years, but yeah I do feel that the movie isn't getting the recognition it deserves outside of Natalie Portman's brilliant performance. Darren Aronofsky's direction and camera work was brilliant here and of course, instead of encouraging original, talented films... they give the award to the Social Network. :(

I haven't seen the other major award contenders for the years, but yeah I do feel that the movie isn't getting the recognition it deserves outside of Natalie Portman's brilliant performance. Darren Aronofsky's direction and camera work was brilliant here and of course, instead of encouraging original, talented films... they give the award to the Social Network. :(

Thankfully, quite a few different organisations have given kudos to Barbara Hershey as well as Mila Kunis for their portrayals of Erica and Lily respectively. Kunis was awarded a prestigious honour from the Venice Film Festival of all places. Unfortunately, much of the slant here this year has gone to The Social Network, which I liked quite a bit (8/10) but it is not a film that resonated with me on a profoundly emotional level.

It is easily the best film of 2010 in my opinion.

I will say though that I found the entire experience to be very real. You see, I did attend a conservatory for a number of years and I did see quite a lot of things, things in fact, that make the neuroses, the pain and the breakdowns in Black Swan all the more painful to watch. I could relate to Nina very well not only because I've been to the point of debating with myself whether or not I really did have what it took to actually suffer in a I guess, 'bohemian' (as so many at that school would have put it - they practically doused the concept in glamour and set it ablaze) fashion for the sake of my art and I have witnessed people throwing themselves to the edge and even further just so they could get roles. I've known people who actually went so far as to sleep with their instructors - of course, all of this was supposed to be kept on the downlow, but pretty much everyone knew about it - and I won't even begin to tell you all the other things I witnessed in the other departments of the school. I also had instructors much like the one Vincent Cassel portrays in the film and the whole PRACTISE! YOU MUST BE PERFECT! AGAIN! AGAIN! NO, NOT THAT WAY, THIS WAY! monotone is far from caricature, I'll tell you that much.

That said, I didn't turn out psycho and came out of there rather...disillusioned, but much more knowledgable as to where I stood in and what I myself really wanted out of life. I think that when people complain that Nina Sayres is not likeable that they really need to take a closer look: there are definitely people out there who've walked this very dangerous ground and I happen to be one of them.

So there's my personal two bits: Enjoy (I guess).

I'll also add that I quite loved Mansell's score (but then again, I'll listen to pretty much anything that has his name on it. I think that lately one of the major criticisms that has come the film's way is that it is rather 'campy' and 'melodramatic' when I see it as anything but. Life at a conservatory is full of some very egotistical, bitchy, neurotic, insecure, troubled, conflicted etc. etc. etc. personalities. (I would know.) That said, I loved how the music effectively dove from quiet, pseudo-graceful pain to crazed, clamourous banging - so in tune with the loosenening screws in Nina's mental state.

Films that I thought that were better than The Social Network though: Quite the list; on other boards, I'd be called a film philistine for it, but I've always believed in honest opinion, especially when it comes to debating the subjectivity of art:

127 Hours
Black Swan
Inception
Lady Blue Shanghai
Never Let Me Go
Rabbit Hole
A Serbian Film
The Town
Toy Story 3
True Grit

Guys, this isn't the thread about what you think the best movie of 2010 is. It's a thread about rating the last movie you watched. If you'd like to discuss the movies of 2010...feel free to start a thread. This thread, however, is just not the place.

Back
Top Bottom